Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

"Twitter has agreed to hand over the details of people who post racist and anti-Semitic abuse anonymously on the micro-blogging site, it emerged today. Following a long legal battle, the US-based company said it would cooperate with authorities in France who want to bring alleged criminals to justice...Mr Neri told the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris that Twitter ‘data is collected and stored in the United States’ – namely in San Francisco, where the site is based. ‘Should I submit myself to the law of a different country to where I work?' he asked. He added that the differences between French and US laws on freedom of speech have created a ‘huge void, a question mark’."

And then the article says this:

"The breakthrough is a significant test case for the millions who use social media to express hatred and anger without revealing their identities."

Twitter agrees to reveal names of people who post racist or anti-Semitic comments after losing French legal battle | Mail Online

Really? A breakthrough? Keep in mind this is a British newspaper calling it a breakthrough. Can France ask City Data to reveal people's identities because of French law? What about every other country and their laws? Can Iran ask Twitter/City-Data to reveal the names of, just for examples sake - I don't know their laws, anyone who posts pro-gay comments? Anti-Sharia law comments? And Twitter/City-Data just has to hand it over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Businesses have to operate within the law where ever they happen to be. If some countries do not protect privacy I would say that these websites have to turn over the contact information on the posters.

I suggest that people not post anything they would not say in the public square. I believe it is irresponsible to use anonymity to avoid responsibility. Remember, even in this country, free speech does not include verbal assault.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Interesting only the Daily Fail tabloid is reporting this. Where did they get their facts?

Is this going to be another Amanda Knox incident where they reported an innocent person was found guilty?

To quote the Daily Fail..."The trouble with a 'scientific' argument, of course, is that it relies solely on empirical facts."

Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Businesses have to operate within the law where ever they happen to be. If some countries do not protect privacy I would say that these websites have to turn over the contact information on the posters.
Unless France may be able to take actions locally such as if Twitter had assets in France there is very little they can do. The only leverage they have is blocking the service to French citizens.

US law applies to servers in the US and to get this information would require a court order unless of course the site wanted to hand it over voluntarily.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
As if blocking Twitter from a country of 30 million people is a little lever? Given the potential losses Twitter would cave in an instant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies