Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What is taken from them?
"Operationally speaking, the USPS nets profits every year. The financial problem it faces now comes from a 2006 Congressional mandate that requires the agency to “pre-pay” into a fund that covers health care costs for future retired employees. Under the mandate, the USPS is required to make an annual $5.5 billion payment over ten years, through 2016.These “prepayments” are largely responsible for the USPS’s financial losses over the past four years and the threat of shutdown that looms ahead – take the retirement fund out of the equation, and the postal service would have actually netted $1 billion in profits over this period."
The U.S. Postal Service | Need to Know | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
most stuff I recieve or ship is illegal to ship usps so I have to use ups.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
"Operationally speaking, the USPS nets profits every year. The financial problem it faces now comes from a 2006 Congressional mandate that requires the agency to “pre-pay” into a fund that covers health care costs for future retired employees. Under the mandate, the USPS is required to make an annual $5.5 billion payment over ten years, through 2016.These “prepayments” are largely responsible for the USPS’s financial losses over the past four years and the threat of shutdown that looms ahead – take the retirement fund out of the equation, and the postal service would have actually netted $1 billion in profits over this period."
That is not taking anything from there. That is forcing them to fund their debts. Something every single business must do.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
The Post Office sucks because in right wing "Reagan is God!!" land, everything that the government does (except the military), has to be a complete disaster, whether it is in fact a disaster, or not. It's called "an agenda".

Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
One company is going to fail if it charges $18 to send a package an the other does it for $6 and needs the taxpayers to make up the difference in actual costs.
Except taxpayers don't make up the cost.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

So who should pay for there retirement fund?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That is not taking anything from there. That is forcing them to fund their debts. Something every single business must do.
Sorry, I misspoke in my original post.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I know that the USPS often gets a bum rap but I am currently finding out that the USPS can, indeed, be a great choice for sending small packages.

Last week, I ordered two identical items from a company in the Bay area. For reasons unbeknownst to me, the company decided to place two different shipments of these two items: One with USPS, one with UPS. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it but I do know that the USPS package was shipped "First Class" while the UPS item was shipped "Ground." Both items left the facility on the same day.

Without knowing the details, I would assume that actual shipping costs must have been comparable - or there would have been a clear preference for one shipper over the other.

The USPS package arrived today - incredibly fast.

The UPS package is schedule to arrive seven days from now!

What gives? I thought the USPS sucked?
How far away are you from the Bay area?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
It's the way the payments are structured. They have to fully pre-fund them, something private businesses don't.

Whether it should be required of all businesses is another argument.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
The USPS should pay for the retirement fund, but they don't need to do it through a ten year pre-paid fund that gives them no room to adjust their finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies