Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I'm not surprised that political extremists, the ilk of the American Taliban, would be offended that an intelligent woman talked about issues they believe are sacred and untouchable. I don't often listen to Gross, because my schedule doesn't allow it. I do know, however, that she doesn't work for NPR. Her show comes from a member staion WHYY-FM in Philadelphia, which is syndicated on NPR. The 'thought police', the 'big-government' GOP and American Taliban, would prefer to limit freedom of speech. People who live this country should continue to speak-out against those who don't share our national values. Terry Gross, I believe, makes a positive contribution to public discourse.
I agree with you, but what are the national values of the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
They are leftist and biased which means that their methods are questionable.
I suspect that you don't want free speech or balanced reporting, you want one-sided extremist viewpoints. Views which you probably agree with and I won't be surprised to learn that your standard of truth in reporting and preferred journalists are the ilk of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and that crowd of America-haters.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I suspect that you don't want free speech or balanced reporting, you want one-sided extremist viewpoints. Views which you probably agree with and I won't be surprised to learn that your standard of truth in reporting and preferred journalists are the ilk of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and that crowd of America-haters.
To be honest, I don't care that they are leftist. I listen to them quite a bit.

What bothers me is that they claim to be "balanced." That is a lie. Conservatives will at least tell you they are conservative.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,525 times
NPR is leftist? Really? How so? I love "Fresh Air", it's one of my favorite programs.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I followed the link and listened. Terry Gross was entirely respectful, although she did not pretend to agree with what the interviewee was saying.
I don't listen to the news to find the opinion of the interviewer, which should be neutral if they are professional. It seems to be very hard to find any professional reporters in this country anymore--and I am talking about every news station on the air.

When did we begin with the idea that the news person was on the air to give their opinion?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
NPR is leftist? Really? How so? I love "Fresh Air", it's one of my favorite programs.
She promotes and approves of infanticide. That, to me, is biased.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
I'm not questioning her abilities, just her morality. It doesn't matter if she works for NPR or if they just hire her program. They are all the same. They are leftist and biased which means that their methods are questionable. If you don't see that then you are certainly on the left also, like so many in this forum.

The light of God exposes everything. Those living in darkness will one day discover that and see everything for the way it is. For some it will be too late.
It's pretty clear that you're the one with enormous bias here. No rational, objective person would call either interview "rude", and you can't even furnish specific evidence of your claim.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
She promotes and approves of infanticide. That, to me, is biased.
Great. That doesn't answer my question in the least, not even close. I asked how NPR is leftist.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't listen to the news to find the opinion of the interviewer, which should be neutral if they are professional. It seems to be very hard to find any professional reporters in this country anymore--and I am talking about every news station on the air.

When did we begin with the idea that the news person was on the air to give their opinion?
You must be watching the wrong news because I have NEVER seen a reporter on any of the local networks that I watch state an opinion. Ever.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You must be watching the wrong news because I have NEVER seen a reporter on any of the local networks that I watch state an opinion. Ever.
Then you either don't know when someone has stated an opinion or you haven't watched any news. Guess you didn't see the presidential debates. Or maybe you know nothing about body language and the raised eyebrow, etc. Opinions do not have to be verbal but on CNN and MSNBC some of the reporters seem to think their job is deciding whether the person talking said it right. That is not their job. All they need to do is ask the question. Whether the answer is a truth or lie should be left to the viewer.

As I said before, I don't care what the interviewer thinks. They are just a mouthpiece because most of the ones I see have no talents beyond that scale. And lately we are getting some that don't even know how to match up nouns and verbs. I find that so sad.

And if you don't know that NPR is leftist, I doubt there is any hope in anyone trying to explain to you what is leftist about them. Everybody knows they lean way to the left. And I agree with Romney. If they cannot get more to the center and stop being bias, we don't need to be funding them anymore. A reporter paid for with public funds needs to first be neutral on all reporting. Our government does not need to be spinning the news.

Last edited by NCN; 01-30-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies