Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times

Advertisements

Why Isn't Wall Street in Jail? | Rolling Stone Politics

Matt has outdone himself this time on this article.

The article is not solely about the housing and derivatives fraud but focuses more on the incestuous relationship between our government and the big boys on Wall Street.

It is a good read at about 6 pages long.

Quote:
Over drinks at a bar on a dreary, snowy night in Washington this past month, a former Senate investigator laughed as he polished off his beer.

"Everything's ****ed up, and nobody goes to jail," he said. "That's your whole story right there. Hell, you don't even have to write the rest of it. Just write that."

I put down my notebook. "Just that?"

"That's right," he said, signaling to the waitress for the check. "Everything's ****ed up, and nobody goes to jail. You can end the piece right there."
Here are some choice quotes from the article.

Quote:
people who simply get their companies to pay their fines for them. Conversely, one has to consider the powerful deterrent to further wrongdoing that the state is missing by not introducing this particular class of people to the experience of incarceration. "You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bull**** would stop, all over Wall Street," says a former congressional aide. "That's all it would take. Just once."

But that hasn't happened. Because the entire system set up to monitor and regulate Wall Street is ****ed up.
Quote:
But a veritable mountain of evidence indicates that when it comes to Wall Street, the justice system not only sucks at punishing financial criminals, it has actually evolved into a highly effective mechanism for protecting financial criminals. This institutional reality has absolutely nothing to do with politics or ideology — it takes place no matter who's in office or which party's in power.
One such example of the corruption on Wall Street involves Gary Aguirre, a SEC investigator who was literally fired for going after John Mack, chariman of Morgan Stanley, involved in insider trading. He was not even trying to arrest Mack, but talk to him, but he was getting to close. In his investigations, he learned that his targets firm was being represented by the former US Attorney overseeing WallStreet.

Quote:
Aguirre didn't stand a chance. A month after he complained to his supervisors that he was being blocked from interviewing Mack, he was summarily fired, without notice. The case against Mack was immediately dropped: all depositions canceled, no further subpoenas issued. "It all happened so fast, I needed a seat belt," recalls Aguirre, who had just received a stellar performance review from his bosses.
Matt brings many more examples of the corruption involved between our government and those on Wall Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 PM

A good quote that sums it up

Quote:
The systematic lack of regulation has left even the country's top regulators frustrated. Lynn Turner, a former chief accountant for the SEC, laughs darkly at the idea that the criminal justice system is broken when it comes to Wall Street. "I think you've got a wrong assumption - that we even have a law-enforcement agency when it comes to Wall Street," he says.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
For the same reason that people who signed false income statements when gettig loans are not;is my guess. A huge can of worms.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
As I understand it Issa is attempting to investigate Countrywide and others while Clinton Alumni and other Democrat donors are actively blocking his efforts.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/chr...all-friends-an

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/darrell-issa-goes-after-countrywides (broken link)-

Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
As I understand it Issa is attempting to investigate Countrywide and others while Clinton Alumni and other Democrat donors are actively blocking his efforts.

Chris Dodd Crackdown: Darrell Issa Issues Subpoena Demanding Intimate Secrets Of All "Friends Of Angelo" | zero hedge

Darrell Issa Goes After Countrywide's VIP Program. Gee, I Wonder Why? | Crooks and Liars
Just like the Dems who thought there was nothing wrong with Fannie and Freddie back in 2004/2005?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
I'd put freddie's fanny into jail first.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I'd put freddie's fanny into jail first.
Frank-ly speaking, me too.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Why Isn't Wall Street in Jail? | Rolling Stone Politics

Matt has outdone himself this time on this article.

The article is not solely about the housing and derivatives fraud but focuses more on the incestuous relationship between our government and the big boys on Wall Street.

It is a good read at about 6 pages long.

Here are some choice quotes from the article.

One such example of the corruption on Wall Street involves Gary Aguirre, a SEC investigator who was literally fired for going after John Mack, chariman of Morgan Stanley, involved in insider trading. He was not even trying to arrest Mack, but talk to him, but he was getting to close. In his investigations, he learned that his targets firm was being represented by the former US Attorney overseeing WallStreet.

Matt brings many more examples of the corruption involved between our government and those on Wall Street.
Yeah, I don't know how old Barney Frank isn't doing hard time.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
For the same reason that people who signed false income statements when gettig loans are not;is my guess. A huge can of worms.
Except that the article is not about derivatives and housing loans but corruption from all forms on Wall Street.

But using your sidetrack, lets see who made out?

On main street, we have a record number of foreclosures, with people forced on the street, a record number of unemployed with many on food stamps in order to survive,

while

On Wall Street, we have record setting profits, with the usual bonuses coming in, and a corrupt government propping up the stock market and the banks via a circle jerk to keep their game going.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,540 times
Nice article. I think in the future people will look back at this point in history and wonder what the heck we were thinking regarding this level of lawlessness with the big banks and the "Federal" Reserve money changers and the decline of our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies