Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

I just began singing the "Star Spangled Banner" and my cat freaked out, ran and hid underneath the chair in which the other cat is sleeping - and she doesn't like the other cat.

I guess that I hurt her ears, or I am a really bad singer, or maybe the anthem sucks.

Waiting for a potential brawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
If I were your cat, and you just started singing the Star spaneled banner, I too would freak the freak out.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If I were your cat, and you just started singing the Star spaneled banner, I too would freak the freak out.
She is back on my lap now.

All is well.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I still say "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or "Imagine" are the most fitting songs to be the American national anthem in the 21st century.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Reps for you! That is what I am trying to say: I like America and I like it so much I am willing to admit when it makes a mistake...AND HAVING THE MELODY OF A CAT GETTING CASTRATED FOR A NATIONAL ANTHEM IS A MISTAKE!

But what really irritates the flag on lapel crowd is that the American National Anthem does indeed suck, but the world wide worker's national anthem is undeniable beautiful.

English Internationale (with lyrics) - YouTube
I am Canadian we sing both U.S. and Canadian anthems before spotting events and I enjoy both and know the lyrics and meaning behind both songs but no way am I standing and taking off my hat for this world wide worker's national anthem or we will change Canada's national anthem to Rush's 2112 and play the full length unedited album version.

But since you want to replace a song that is historic meaning to North America and the war of 1812 was when it was written the rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air were British and British Dominion of Canada shooting at the American revolutionary troops and at the time the British and the Royal navy was the super power and the song was about when the non stop artillery and cannon bombardment had ceased the flag never was hit or knocked down but if the flag was hit or went down the inspiration to write the song would of never had happened.

heck if Canada adopts Rush Australia might adopt a AC/DC song and the British might adopt Iron Maiden then your world wide worker's national anthem will not be heard because our national anthem may cause long term and temporary hearing loss and no one would hear the world wide worker's national anthem

Rush 2112 (Full Song) - YouTube

P.S. as Canadian I like the U.S. anthem the way it is and truly Resect it as much as our national anthem so the OP with "the world wide worker's national anthem" that sounds to me like old school name for a communist national anthem before everyone became capitalist countries and money and greed for a few people at the top rule the rest of us below but that is the one thing we all have in common now be it a American Russian or Chinese billionaire which are according to Forbes rankings the first second and third largest number of billionaires in the world.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You do understand what our National Anthem is about, don't you?

Many people don't sing it correctly, and don't know the words. For example, it isn't "whose brought stripes ..." It is "whose broad stripes and bright stars."

I think it is a beautiful song of victory. It should be sung that way. It isn't a funeral march, as some sing it.

I love the phrase, "And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof throught the night that our flag was still there!" Oh, glorious victory!!! "Oh, say, does that strar spangled banner yet wave, o'r the land of the free, and the home of the brave?"

Unfortunately, this adminstration does not seek to keep America free, nor brave, as he bows to our enemies.
I get chills, literally, everytime it is sung (except by those why try to personalize it). Sing it straight up.

AWESOME.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I like The Star Spangled Banner.

I am something of a "national anthem maven" and I can sing or hum at least 30 or 35 national anthems at a moments notice. I own recordings of at least twice that many national anthems.

The Star Spangled Banner manages to be majestic and triumphant without being too militaristic or bombastic like those anthems of Russia, Germany, or China. In my travels around the world, I found it interesting that people in other countries like The Star Spangled Banner ... even if they didn't think too highly of the US. You see some countries have beautiful anthems like Japan, India, and Israel ... but they seem like lovely melodies, not anthems; other countries anthems sould like a folk dance (Ukraine) and Italy's sounds like an opera aria!

The USA has a magnificent national anthem, even if some folks find it difficult to sing.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I get chills, literally, everytime it is sung (except by those why try to personalize it). Sing it straight up.

AWESOME.
I did.

I really belted it out - and scared my cat - whom I am not allowed to marry.

See above.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I do love America, despite it being run by a corporate owned sock puppet (Obama) who is only slightly better than the last corporate owned sock puppet. I really do like this country...which is why it saddens me that this nation has what may possibly be THE WORST ANTHEM of any nation in history.

I mean, the lyrics are obscure and use speech that is not used today (spangled? Oy see?) and the notes change pitch at the wrong times and...come on, let's face it, it is SIMPLY UNSINGABLE!

Worst part is, THE BAD GUYS HAD BETTER ANTHEMS THAN WE DO.

Even heard the anthem of Nazi Germany? Awful, psychotic chumps though they were, at least they had a beautiful patriotic song:

Deutschland Ãœber Alles. - YouTube

And then there was the USSR...singing praises to Stalin, but man, compared to that modified drinking song for an anthem we have, it is beautiful.

Soviet/ USSR Anthem in English [by Paul Robeson] - YouTube

And yes, the Star Spangled Banner is the melody of a drinking song attached to a poem that was never meant to be a song...which may be why no one seems to be able to make it sound like an actual song and it always end up sounding like a cat being waterboarded.

But of course, this is one of those things you can't say in America. "People died for that flag" and "that is your country" and the ever popular "if you don't like it, MOVE" is what I hear. Gee, maybe this land that people died for DESERVES A BETTER ANTHEM than that nails-on-a-chalk-board ditty.

Of course my choice would be something people could stand up and join in singing (no one does that with our anthem, unlike so many others) But certain people who live...*ahem* south of a certain line would never let the obvious choice for a superior anthem go through.

Johnny Cash sings The Battle Hymn Of The Republic - YouTube

Maybe you should move to a more acceptable to you place that has no fat people, an anthem that you can sing and no South of a "certain line" who would disagree with your idea of the perfect song. If you get lucky enough to find an island for sale you could just move there and live all by yourself so no other human on the planet will bother you so much and consume most of your life. It might be more relaxing since you will have no one else to be so judgemental about.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Maybe you should move to a more acceptable to you place that has no fat people, an anthem that you can sing and no South of a "certain line" who would disagree with your idea of the perfect song. If you get lucky enough to find an island for sale you could just move there and live all by yourself so no other human on the planet will bother you so much and consume most of your life. It might be more relaxing since you will have no one else to be so judgemental about.

And I never said War Hymn of the Republic HAD to be our national anthem. Just saying that the Star Spangled Banner sucks musically and there are much better choices, like "Our Country Tis of Thee" or "America the Beautiful" or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies