Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's really common sense that you seem to be lacking. If the physicians give a prognosis for a quick and full recovery, but the patient is temporarily on life support, are you saying the parents or next of kin can override that? I'm saying they can't. That choice (to cut life support) wouldn't even be presented to them at that point.
You can say it all you want, but that makes no difference. Take Jehovah witnesses as an example. A simple blood transfusion can save a life in two shakes, but parents say no and that's that. Don't confuse what you consider to be common sense for the reality that we live in. If my husband says no life support, then it's no life support for me. Period. I'm amazed that you are so unaware. How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You can say it all you want, but that makes no difference. Take Jehovah witnesses as an example. A simple blood transfusion can safe a life in two shakes, but parents say no and that's that. Don't confuse what you consider to be common sense for the reality that we live in. If my husband says no life support, then it's no life support for me. Period. I'm amazed that you are so unaware. How old are you?
There have been cases where the child has become the ward of the state when parents tried to make such irresponsible decisions. I suggest you read up.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
However, our society does not extend this same level of respect of adult religious beliefs to the minor children of Jehovah's Witnesses when they are likely to die without blood transfusions. We do not presume that minor children share the same belief system as their parents in adhering to a religious doctrine that may produce their death rather than to receive a blood transfusion. In these cases, the parens patriae (“parent of the nation”) function of the state is invoked to protect vulnerable children from preventable harm when one knows they are at risk. This is the same legal doctrine that authorizes state agencies to remove children from abusive or neglectful parents to protect them from known harm at home.
Ask the Neuroethicist: What If Your Patients Refuse Blood Tr... : Neurology Today

Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
There have been cases where the child has become the ward of the state when parents tried to make such irresponsible decisions. I suggest you read up.
I don't really know what you're talking about. And I don't care if you're ignorant about your medical rights. No skin off my back.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Btw, I'm 38. How old are you? I think you just put your big foot in your mouth and lived your own words:

This is such a clear case of incompetence begetting confidence.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I don't really know what you're talking about. And I don't care if you're ignorant about your medical rights. No skin off my back.
Did you read the above passage or you going to pretend you can't read either?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that, so I stand corrected in this case. Still, I think you will be hard pressed to find this as a precedent across the board for life saving measures.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
zombie, I suggest you can the personal attacks. If a mod gets involved in this, the thread will be closed ASAP. I've seen it happen.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Did you read the above passage or you going to pretend you can't read either?
I read it and responded. You read Kat's and did not respond. Don't assume I take your MO.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that, so I stand corrected in this case. Still, I think you will be hard pressed to find this as a precedent across the board for life saving measures.
In 99% of cases the parents would be more aggressive seeking treatment than doctors. In that 1% case where the doctors believe a full recovery is possible and the parents attempt to pull support, they will make the kid ward of the state.

Which is how it's supposed to be, don't you agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies