Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well it seems, from another thread, that many were OK with the use of drones to take out people "in other countries". Now we'll see if they do the same here.."on US soil". Will these same people also be agreeable to it ?
Yes, they'll blink twice and then move on to another important issue like Kim Kardashian's shoes or something.

Quote:
Congress did ok 30,000 drones for US use so it was just a matter of time before they would be used for LE.
It's the MIC. "If we build it, government will buy it."

Quote:
Border patrol has predator drones.

Here's an article about their use in the US. Various government agencies are keeping their information very close to the vest on this. Various reports to Congress show between 60-90 agencies using drones.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/0...nning-and-lack
DHS’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) recently released a report (pdf) detailing multiple problems with the drones used to patrol US borders. This report, combined with the Federal Aviation Administration’s lack of openness about its drone authorization program and failure to disclose the true number of entities flying drones, shows that the federal government is moving far too quickly in its plans to dramatically expand the number of domestic drones flying in the United States over the next few years.
It's only a matter of time before that info becomes, um, you know, "classified."

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
They are not going to fire hellfire missles at an accussed murderer. It's just to find his whereabouts and capture him. No wonder you wing nuts will buy anything through fear and paranoia.
No, but they'll use Hell-Fire Missiles on fleeing vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Since they will never be weaponized, we'll never be confronted with that possibility. But you keep pretending if it makes you feel better.
They will be weaponized.

I guarantee they'll grid-out the States and assign drones to patrol those sectors, and then you'll have chase-drones armed to chase fleeing vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Now I will have a problem if they are using these drones to peek around in people's yard without a reasonable explanation as to why.
They are being used for that, just like helicopters are being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
LE has used fixed wing aircraft/helicopters for surveillance and searches for many years.
That does not mean I accept it or approve of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And they have no ties to the feds? They're not armed by the feds? Trained by the feds? Seems there's an awful lot of guard been fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. You mean those are state sponsored wars?
No, Rhodes called out the National Guard. There were not federalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
How is a drone going to find him? It is a big country .
It's called "Facial Recognition Software."

The drone can scan so many people per square feet (I don't remember the exact figures) and has a better than 98% chance of correctly identifying all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Misles in the hands of the local police is an idiotic idea...
So are fully automatic weapons and armored personnel carriers, but that doesn't stop the police from having them.

Targeting...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It's called "Facial Recognition Software."

The drone can scan so many people per square feet (I don't remember the exact figures) and has a better than 98% chance of correctly identifying all of them.
And anyone getting a DL or state ID will have their digital photograph taken and stored.
That was part of the Secure ID program. While many parts fell to the wayside due to cost, this part didn't.
All states implemented it as it was a DHS mandate.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
They are being used for that, just like helicopters are being used.
Helicopters are used in limited instances. They aren't used to just cruise around trying to find something going on. If it happens you can be sure the lawsuits will pile up.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Helicopters are used in limited instances. They aren't used to just cruise around trying to find something going on. If it happens you can be sure the lawsuits will pile up.
And they will all get dismissed because of the blanket "in the name of national security".

Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
We've already had trigger happy cops shoot some ladies. Imagine if they try to use a drone to off this character and they target the wrong person or kill an innocent bystander. GOODBYE US drone policy and Obama will be crucified by the court of public opinion.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
And they will all get dismissed because of the blanket "in the name of national security".
That was GWB's reasoning for holding citizens in prison and dispsensing of their due process rights. The courts stopped him.

For good or bad, the system is slow moving.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I tried to find his FB but couldn't...too bad. He seems like a good guy that made a bad choice. I'm sure LAPD will make him pay... they have a million dollar reward for him... guess they want him silenced asap.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He has called for jihad against the LAPD.

Using the word "jihad" authorizes Barack Hussein to put this criminal at the top of his drone kill list.

If Barack had a son, he would look just like this guy.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
If Barack had a son, he would look just like this guy.
I bet you couldn't wait to log in and post this over used right wing claptrap.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
I agree we are essentially living in a police state and the police and federal agents are out of control. They do need to be reighned in, but I don't agree with hunting them down and slaughtering them. I am willing to bet however that the LAPD has no intention of taking this guy alive. When he is finally caught, he will be gunned down irrespective of the circumstances. I am also betting that regardless of where his recent face book page says he is, that he is actually still in the L.A. basin somewhere sitting back, watching the antics of the LAPD and laughing. He has them looking like the Keystone Cops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies