Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 PM

58 posts, read 110,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Very anecdotal. Again this is the thinking I'm talking about. Why the heck should I change my opinions about the negative cultural traits I witness in African American culture because a White racist will see me the same?

Again I can't relate. White people don't influence how I see the world or issues one way or the other.
You clearly misunderstood my point. I specifically responded to your statement regarding AA's focusing on white racism. I never stated that you should change your opinion regarding negative "traits" which you've witnessed in African Americans or any other group (BTW, it's not really cultural, it's socioeconomic).

Your original statement however implied that non AA blacks do not have to worry about race issues, because such issues are not really salient to them. Clearly this is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 10:55 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
[quote=caribny;32933387]
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I . And since I live predominately around black people and converse with blacks often, I can attest to the fact that white people rarely come up in day to day conversation,

I agree with you. Of all the scores of blacks who I speak with, Caribbean, American and African if I were to talk about white people every time I spoke to them they would hang up the phone and refuse to answer when I called. I can only think of one who does this, and he has psychological problems, as in fact he doesn't even like black Americans (he is one) and hangs out more with Caribbean people.

That notion that blacks are obsessed with whites is so 80s. People are more focused in doing what they have to do to get what they want that they don't have time for that, consider it negative and would rather engage in more productive activities.
I don't think in terms of race unless true racism is involved or I'm in a situation of learning about cultural differences like at a festival or a ethnic restaurant.

None of the Black people I deal with worry about White people nor are we preoccupied with discussing White people holding us back on an individual level.

In this diverse world with the new economy, "multi culturalism", most normal White Americans don't have the power to influence my life in a White supremacists way.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:07 PM

58 posts, read 110,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
When I say obsessed I'm more referring to what I see in some of the posts here. For example the notion that immigrants form negative opinions about African Americans to ingratiate themselves with Whites. This is just silly thinking to me. Most immigrants have little to no interaction with Whites so why would they hate Blacks because they want to be close to Whites?

African Americans seem to think that Whites manipulate everything and everyone. I simply wasn't raised like this so it's very hard to relate. White people don't generate any special feeling one way or the other.
I am not obsessed with whites, however, I've noticed that many seem uncomfortable in my presence, because I don't fit into the "black stereotype." I'm African American and very much proud of my background. I don't believe in partying or frequenting clubs/bars and associating with "undesirables." I don't have any out of wedlock children (because I don't believe in any form of pre-marital sex). I don't drink anything besides water and some fresh fruit juices, nor have I ever used any illicit drugs. Also, I don't subscribe to the notion that the two party system is meaningful --and although I own a small tv, it's not in my main living quarters, because usually when I'm not at work, I'm either reading, or blogging.

I've never had any issues with employment. Ever since completing college and graduate school, I've been very blessed to have a great career and currently I earn a six figure salary (and pay quite a lot in taxes, since I have no dependents and no real deductions at this point).

Also, I'm a very slim vegetarian (with Au natural hair) and I exercise at least 3 times a week.

Recognize that AA's are like every other ethnic group. There's a lot of variation and much of it is due to socio-economic standing.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 PM

204 posts, read 309,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
I am not obsessed with whites, however, I've noticed that many seem uncomfortable in my presence, because I don't fit into the "black stereotype." I'm African American and very much proud of my background. I don't believe in partying or frequenting clubs/bars and associating with "undesirables." I don't have any out of wedlock children (because I don't believe in any form of pre-marital sex). I don't drink anything besides water and some fresh fruit juices, nor have I ever used any illicit drugs. Also, I don't subscribe to the notion that the two party system is meaningful --and although I own a small tv, it's not in my main living quarters, because usually when I'm not at work, I'm either reading, or blogging.

I've never had any issues with employment. Ever since completing college and graduate school, I've been very blessed to have a great career and currently I earn a six figure salary (and pay quite a lot in taxes, since I have no dependents and no real deductions at this point).

Also, I'm a very slim vegetarian (with Au natural hair) and I exercise at least 3 times a week.

Recognize that AA's are like every other ethnic group. There's a lot of variation and much of it is due to socio-economic standing.
No one can seriously believe anyone spends their whole life trying to put down white people. Its not like we have no jobs, and kids to feed. Don't try to explain yourself Edward A is a troll.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
[quote=Lucario;32924864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

Who created this "underclass"?
Mostly stupidity and being too lazy to receive any type of training for a real job. LBJ's ''Great society" welfare programs created an entire class of people who are entirely dependent on the government. They have no clue how to become educated and become independent and being the government pays the women of this underclass to have more children, , it will continue for generations with no end in sight. We need to put limits on how many children the gov will pay for and require training/education for the mothers.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
[quote=mjtinmemphis;32938166]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

I don't think in terms of race unless true racism is involved or I'm in a situation of learning about cultural differences like at a festival or a ethnic restaurant.

None of the Black people I deal with worry about White people nor are we preoccupied with discussing White people holding us back on an individual level.

In this diverse world with the new economy, "multi culturalism", most normal White Americans don't have the power to influence my life in a White supremacists way.
And most normal white Americans do not want to influence your life in that manner. Most white folks had high hopes that the welfare programs of the 60's would spring board many blacks to a successful future, but it has not happened in as large numbers as hoped. Too many have used it and still do, as a way of life, this was not the intention.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Ghostrider... 3,000+ posts and you haven't yet learned how to quote people yet? What's up with that homie?

H

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

204 posts, read 309,511 times
[quote=Ghostrider275452;32939511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
And most normal white Americans do not want to influence your life in that manner. Most white folks had high hopes that the welfare programs of the 60's would spring board many blacks to a successful future, but it has not happened in as large numbers as hoped. Too many have used it and still do, as a way of life, this was not the intention.
That's the biggest load of... I've heard in a while. America new it needed a lower class to survive and used welfare to make there be one. You honestly, think that welfare came out of the good of there little racist hearts. You think white people in the 60s wanted a black middle class? Lol, they would pay you just to leave their community...

Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
If you don't see it then you are blind. I guess telling an Asian American to "go back to China" is not racist. Well if it isn't, then I guess a white guy telling a black guy to go back to Africa isn't racist either. Thanks for explaining.
Racism and ignorance are often cohabitants of the same mind. However, one can be ignorant without being racist. It is ignorance when one assumes that all Asians are 1.) are Chinese or originated in China 2.) not from here. To think otherwise meets the definition of IGNORANCE and NOT RACISM. Hell, there are a lot of African where I live and some African Americans, in anger, have told the Africans to go back to Africa. Thus, how is that racism? It's more like "Nationalism".

White people telling black people to go back to Africa is not racist, in and off itself, but is interpreted as racist because of the Loooonnnnggggg history of documented white racism in American society and culture. Yaw cannot do what other groups can do.....because yaw screwed that up with the way your culture treated people racistly for centuries. Actions create REACTIONS and history has consequences. White folks just refuse to accept that such is true for them....unless its something they can profit from.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Not sure why many White Americans worry about what "blacks" are doing and rather than focus on the scores of their own people on welfare and without a successful future. And honestly, I highly doubt most white folks had any hopes for blacks at all during that 60s, as the majority were content with the system that subjugated non-whites (Jim Crow etc). They were largely against equality. At least for "blacks," it has only been since the 60s that the majority of opportunities were open to them. As far as whites, why aren't more of them very successful?

As a child of immigrants, I find it strange and a bit crazy how whites are quick to talk about "blacks" and how much they have yet to accomplish when "blacks" have only had "equality" since the 60s. My question is, how is it that people such as myself can be the first generation born in the U.S., graduate college, complete professional school and be successful - meanwhile many whites who have been here generations fail to take advantage of such opportunities? They sit on welfare programs at only one percent less than blacks, when they have never endured even half of what black Americans have. Why? They have had much more time to make something of themselves. Yet, as you stated, too many have used it, still do, as a way of life, which was not the intention.

So perhaps that you could please explain to me why so many "normal white Americans" never really consider their own failures to make successful futures. Is it because they are so focused on criticizing blacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies