Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
This is what I am waiting to hear as well. I am West Indian myself and have never heard of other West Indians being offended by African American anti-white racism. Many posters on this board seem to get ultra turned on about how bad they think black people are!
The driver was probably think about his money...lol. A tourist is a tourist to them - white, black, yellow, green...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is a good point. The only people who seem obsessed with race daily are African Americans. For us Blacks with a foreign background we just don't view Whites in any particular way. I tend to think African Americans are very fixated on Whites which is unhealthy.
Actually, Americans are obsessed with race. The only other place comparable is South Africa; in both countries racial paranoia led to unspeakable brutality, entrenched discrimination and disenfranchisement, cultural genocide (especially in the USA), severe economic inequality, and a society irretrevably broken or Balkanized by this history.

Whites in America are just as fixated on race, and on Blacks, as the other way around. It's inevitable that our history would produce such a society.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Actually, Americans are obsessed with race. The only other place comparable is South Africa; in both countries racial paranoia led to unspeakable brutality, entrenched discrimination and disenfranchisement, cultural genocide (especially in the USA), severe economic inequality, and a society irretrevably broken or Balkanized by this history.

Whites in America are just as fixated on race, and on Blacks, as the other way around. It's inevitable that our history would produce such a society.
Bingo!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Well said.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
But keeping them angry keeps them voting Democrat, so the liberals will keep playing that race card. It doesn't matter that they've gone from lynching and firehoses down to where they're now complaining about 'racist code words' they just keep on doing it. And since it is human nature to love being called a victim and given an enemy to blame all your problems on, people just keep on eating it up.
You keep believing that, as your right-wing GOP continues to kick and scream its way into obsolescence.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's absolute nonsense. I dated someone from the Caribbean before. He definitely held resentment towards Whites. It sure didn't help that the NYC taxi drivers always passed him by and I had to hail the cabs for him. When it comes to racism/prejudice, at the end of the day, someone who is a bigot will only see a Black person. S/He's not going to say "oh, this person is from Africa, they're different" or "this person is from some Caribbean island, he's different". No one's special. Life's too short to have such petty wars.
If he was living here, he got the same treatment that American black people do.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
This is what I am waiting to hear as well. I am West Indian myself and have never heard of other West Indians being offended by African American anti-white racism. Many posters on this board seem to get ultra turned on about how bad they think black people are!
I have to admit I've never heard that one either but I have heard quite a bit of Caribbean Blacks complain about some of the pathologies of Black Americans.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:

I disagree. Many Blacks like to think Whites are obsessed with race but I generally find they could care less they just don't want to be bothered. Its African Anericans whining about living nect to Whites or going to school with them.

African Americans also put in a lot of stock in comformity which is a manifestation of race obsession. In a healthy community an upper middle class Black person would have a substantially different world outlook in say politics and culture. Yet in the African American community the lines between the classes are blurred. Rich black kids think behaving like ghetto kids is asserting their Black identity. Basically if race was not important to Blacks then such conformity among class wouldn't exist

Where as Blacks will go on about how they measure up to Whites in this category or the next IMHO.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I disagree. Many Blacks like to think Whites are obsessed with race but I generally find they could care less they just don't want to be bothered. Its African Anericans whining about living nect to Whites or going to school with them.

African Americans also put in a lot of stock in comformity which is a manifestation of race obsession. In a healthy community an upper middle class Black person would have a substantially different world outlook in say politics and culture. Yet in the African American community the lines between the classes are blurred. Rich black kids think behaving like ghetto kids is asserting their Black identity. Basically if race was not important to Blacks then such conformity among class wouldn't exist

Where as Blacks will go on about how they measure up to Whites in this category or the next IMHO.
This is where we differ because both white & AAs seem equally obsessed with race, imo. But random question, did you attend public school in MD? Just curious as to your experience which you briefly touched on earlier.

The experiences of other Americans of Caribbean descent interest me...

Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
My point is that this has nothing to do with anyone being more special than anyone else. Apparently those of you who harbor some other issues feel that it is. I happen to think every group is unique and special in their own way.

As far as you harbors more resentment, that's your opinion to have. Clearly, others disagree.
I'm not actually harboring any issues...fwiw I have some West Indian roots on my mother's side. I think that it is flat out incorrect that Black Americans harbor more animosity towards Whites than foreign born Blacks. I've seen individuals of both groups with hangups. I've also seen individuals from both groups with zero hangups.

These are divisive threads and I don't see what purpose they serve. Most people who aren't Black don't understand what purpose they serve either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies