Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Here in Canada our National past time is Hockey and we are the best at it and yes there are lots of American, Russian Swedish, Finish and European players that are just as good and some players a the best in the world
As a former North Stars fan who has been force-fed this Minnesota Wild baloney, I would go with Canadian players 7 days a week over any other. If I was GM of an NHL team I would take all hard nose Canadian and American players. I'm so sick of watching these soft Euros they keep bringing in on the Wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't think so....
I'll teach him how to defend himself physically, but enganging in sports where the ultimate goal is exerting as much physical pain as possible on the opposition isn't healthy for a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Exactly what youth sport would that be?
My guess would be cross country.

If you are in good shape and the other team isn't - they will have to experience physical pain just to keep up with you - let alone win.

Cross country is a contact sport too - running through narrow trails it is impossible to keep the runners from elbowing each other.

One meet I competed in, the opposing team actually tripped and pushed our #1 runner along the trail. They had to send a trainer a mile out on to the course to assist him.

The other team was DQ'd, I think.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Injury info can be provided. Your request for how many hours one spend biking compared how many hours one spends playing football can't be. Nor can info on how many wear helmets while biking during those hours. Of course the rules in football require helmets to be worn so we know football players wear head protection. I provide you the info and you weren't happy and decided to partake in what you described as an "intellectual" conversation. I guess dancing around in circles and playing games is how YOU do that.
If this information can't be provided, then how do YOU come to the conclusion that football and bike riding are equally safe?

This is what you don't get.

I haven't made any claim as to the relative safety of the two activities; only disagreed with your assertion.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Injury information CAN be provided. That is what you don't seem to get. Your asking for something that isn't there and dismissing what is for some reason. I guess that is how you have intellectual conversations.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Injury information CAN be provided.
Then provide it. What the hell?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Yes. I even encouraged my kids to play sports. Football was the favorite for my boys. My daughter played basketball.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
He was a draft dodger, of course he was liberal.
So, Mitt Romney is also a liberal?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
In Obamacare, they have the ability to ban all contact sports. They can pick and choose, which sports injuries they wish to constantly treat with tax dollars.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, Mitt Romney is also a liberal?

Uh, you have not been paying attention again, I see!!!

Mitt Romney is a self admitted Progressive. Yes, a liberal Republican, just as there may be one conservative Democrat left.
He is in the same group as Both Bush's, John McCain and Lindsey Graham. They are all liberal Republicans, or what the media calls moderates.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Actually 700 kids killed is insignificant, depending on the number of kids biking. It is injuries per hour of play, or something similar, to get a good rating. Plus of those killed on bikes, lack of helmet is a significant contributor. Skiing, my sport I want my kids to go, is like .2% injury rate or something similar. . and 90% of those are sprains/etc. Biking, with a helmet, is unlikely to result in a serious injury.

The issue with American Football is the repeated and demanded impacts that result in some minor neurological impairment at almost every game. This has long lasting impact .. .that is hard to evaluate. A concussion isn't the minimum requirement for damage. . . football players (in the NFL) are far more likely to get parkinsons, alzhimers, als, and the whole suite.

High school football could have a similar effect. . .or a attribute to the overall issue. . .or impact on college grades

too much
That may be true about skiing, but my daughter skiied into a tree and got a whale of a concussion. She was wearing a helmet, thank G*d!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
According to this site:
Sports Injuries Statistics

Types of sports and recreational activities:
Consider the following statistics:

Basketball - In 2000, nearly 193,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for basketball-related injuries. The majority of the injured persons (70 percent) were boys.

Baseball and softball - In 2000, more than 99,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for baseball-related injuries, and nearly 26,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated for softball-related injuries. Baseball also has the highest fatality rate among sports for children and adolescents ages 5 to 14, with three to four persons dying from baseball injuries each year.

Bicycling - In 2000, more than 373,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries. In addition, 173 children and adolescents ages 14 and under died in bicycle-related crashes in 1999.

Football - In 2000, more than 186,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for football-related injuries.

Gymnastics - In 1998, nearly 25,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for gymnastics-related injuries. Among girls' sports, gymnastics has one of the highest injury rates, increasing with the level of competition.

Ice skating - In 2000, more than 14,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for ice skating-related injuries.

In-line skating/roller skating - Since 1992, 39 children and adolescents ages 14 and under have died from in-line skating injuries, mostly from collisions with motor vehicles. In 2000, nearly 58,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for in-line skating-related injuries. In 2000, more than 27,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for roller-skating-related injuries.

Skateboarding - In 2000, more than 50,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for skateboarding-related injuries.

Sledding - In 2000, nearly 23,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for sledding-related injuries.

Snow skiing/snowboarding - In 2000, more than 18,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for snow skiing-related injuries. Another 24,700 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for snowboarding-related injuries.

Soccer - In 1999, more than 85,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for soccer-related injuries.

Trampolines - In 2000, more than 82,000 children and adolescents ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for trampoline-related injuries. Most trampoline injuries occur at home (90 percent) and involve injury to the extremities.
Those stats do not tell you how many kids are involved in each of these sports. We have no denominator.

My kids, two girls, did gymnastics, which does have a high injury rate. One had a bad injury falling off the bars and broke a bone in her back. The other had a severely sprained ankle from falling on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies