Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Weren't blacks the ones who were pushing that Ebonics nonsense not long ago?
yes, all of us. we had a giant meeting. 37 million people back in the 90s.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I heard this a lot during Obama's first campaign. So many white people I knew complimented him on being so "well spoken." Isn't that kind of offensive? I rarely hear that compliment bestowed on other white people. It's almost like saying that you expect a black person to speak terrible English, so when they actually speak well then it's surprising. It just annoys me.
It was just a compliment. People can choose to read more into it than is really there if they want, but that is not the problem of those offering the praise. How do you know they do not give the same compliment to politicians of all races that are well spoken?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It's annoying when white people say that a black person is well spoken, because the unspoken implication is that it is unusual. It is equally annoying when a black person accuses another black person of speaking like a white person just because they speak well - again, implying that it is not normal for a black person to speak well. I generally try not to read prejudisism into every little action of other people, but this is one of those things where there really are undercurrents of stereotyping.
I would hate to live in a society where you have to walk on eggshells before praising anyone, but for some people you do. That is sad. If someone does that to me directly (the old "what did you mean by that" to which I say "Exactly what I said, it was a compliment."), that is the last compliment they will ever get from me. Why bother with the hassle and their attitude when you were just trying to praise them? There was nothing wrong with those compliments for President Obama.

People that are that annoyed and bothered by compliments will never have to worry about being my friend (acquaintance at best). Kind of silly. We could actually use more compliments with all the dysfunction and conflict in the world. Just my two cents!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I really don't see the issue. It's not an insult to say someone is well-spoken. Also no one is stopping blacks from saying the same thing, they can say certain whites are well-spoken -- and not all are.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times
Don't assume a person is intelligent or "better" because they speak proper English ...

Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Weren't blacks the ones who were pushing that Ebonics nonsense not long ago?
No. That's the typical conservative anti black narrative.

It was a controversy in ONE school district in California.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
he is well spoken, he one of the few that i can understand the ebonic, not like some of the obama phone people, that i have no idea what they are saying

Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
I heard this a lot during Obama's first campaign. So many white people I knew complimented him on being so "well spoken." Isn't that kind of offensive? I rarely hear that compliment bestowed on other white people. It's almost like saying that you expect a black person to speak terrible English, so when they actually speak well then it's surprising. It just annoys me.
Guess what? Biden said that of Obama and he got to be VP.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Obama is well spoken compared to his predeseccor.
And lets not forget clean as well.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
I agree, lots of white liberal soft-bigotry of low expectations for blacks - as an educator I see it with lowered standards for blacks.

Harry Reid and Joe Biden are two examples of this soft-bigotry when speaking about Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies