Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times

Advertisements

As predicted, sequester cuts will hit those most vulnerable. In this instance it’s the children of the men and women serving in our military. The cuts will impact schools serving those children living on or near military bases almost at once. I grew up in the military, and for us Army brats, the schools were excellent, and I appreciate the education I received from them in my early years.

I can only imagine my Father’s distress had he been serving a tour in Korea or Vietnam, only to find out that the government had closed down or curtailed his daughter’s schooling while he was on the other side of the world and helpless to do anything about it.

I imagine military members doing tours of duty outside the country today will feel no differently than my Dad would have – very worried and concerned.

From CBS News

Quote:
FORT HOOD, Texas Public schools everywhere will be affected by the government's automatic budget cuts, but few may feel the funding pinch faster than those on and around military bases.
The still-fragile economy braced itself for the gradual but potentially grave impact of the across-the-board cuts, which took effect Friday night at the stroke of President Obama's pen. Hours earlier, he and congressional leaders emerged from a White House meeting no closer to an agreement...

...School districts with military ties from coast-to-coast are bracing for increased class sizes and delayed building repairs. Others already have axed sports teams and even eliminated teaching positions, but still may have to tap savings just to make it through year's end.

But there's little hope for softening any future financial blows.

"Next year is scarier than this year," said Sharon Adams, chief financial officer for Muscogee County schools in Georgia. The district serves the U.S. Army's Fort Benning and could lose $300,000 in federal funding out of its $270 million in general funds before the end of the school — and more than four times that in 2013-2014.
USA! USA! USA! Your country thanks you.

NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Don't buy into the fear. Call his bluff on the panic mongering.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
So your saying that next year, when they have more money to spend on programs than this year, children are going to go hungry?

So much fear mongering from the left re sequestration.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,790 times
chicken little cryin wolf

Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
'Homes are going to burn!'.... whats your favorite?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:48 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Liberals hate democracy.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,199 times
You will observe all the "Support the troops," flag lapel wearing right-wingers with magnetic ribbons on their car bumpers all dismissing the chances that it will hurt military families. What wonderful human beings they are. Their relationship with soldiers and their families is not unlike their weird relationship with abortion. They claim to hate it, yet they have no interest in taking care of the fetuses when they are born. Their fetish with the military means they love to shed crocodile tears when the soldiers come home in body bags, but they have no interest in helping that homeless vet on the street nor the children of soldiers. You know, those people looking for handouts from industrious people like them.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Slam, I tell you slam. Repent, the end is near.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
As predicted, sequester cuts will hit those most vulnerable. In this instance it’s the children of the men and women serving in our military. The cuts will impact schools serving those children living on or near military bases almost at once. I grew up in the military, and for us Army brats, the schools were excellent, and I appreciate the education I received from them in my early years.

I can only imagine my Father’s distress had he been serving a tour in Korea or Vietnam, only to find out that the government had closed down or curtailed his daughter’s schooling while he was on the other side of the world and helpless to do anything about it.

I imagine military members doing tours of duty outside the country today will feel no differently than my Dad would have – very worried and concerned.

From CBS News

USA! USA! USA! Your country thanks you.

NOT.
My first husband was career military. Unless I am mistaken, they give you a place to live or pay you an additional housing allowance on top of your regular salary. Checking the pay scales at the link below, it looks to me like an E-3 (PFC) with 1 or 2 years of service makes $1,787.40 - $1,899.90 per month. Couple this with a housing allowance of $500 - $800 depending on if there are dependents. Add to that combat pay, hazardous duty pay, overseas pay, etc, if a military family has a problem meeting their financial obligations, they need to take a good, hard look at their spending habits.

Oh, and most military bases have financial counselors available at no charge to help with this too *and* if they are close to a military base, they have access to the Post Exchange (PX) and the commissary, so they buy their food and other necessities as a considerably lower price (and without sales tax), than the rest of the world does.

Just because someone is in the military and is financially irresponsible does not mean they should get a pass.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
What part of "We can't afford it" did they not teach you at your military-run school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies