Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

This video was funny as hell. I guess i hadn't contemplated the idea that some areas of the world are still so remote, that we haven't all seen each other by now. Go figure.

Although the guy is bringing the whole "Christianity thing" with him (i really wish he wouldn't), he seems to genuinely care about the people in the region.

There's this line from the piece:

Quote:
Wren was visiting the area to deliver aid resources and "bring the love of Jesus" to the Mbui Pygmy people. According to Wren's website, only 1% of the Mbuti Pygmies have heard of Jesus. He also says Mbuti Pygmies are persecuted, tortured and denied citizen status in the Democratic Republic of Congo. When Wren ventured into the deep jungle to visit one of the villages some of the villagers ran and hid behind trees, having never seen a white person before.
Anyway, here's the link:

Mbuti pygmy children have fun meeting white man for 1st time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
There is some south Pacific island where the people living there have never had any meaningful contact with the modern world and they shoot arrows at helicoptors when they fly over.

A similarly isolated community exists deep in the Brazilian jungle.

Anthropologists have said that it may be best to leave these isolated people alone because they have only known their limited world for so long, and contact with the outside might be too destabilizing.

I will find some links - I read about it in some journal - but information is also certainly available online.

Edit: here is one story about uncontacted tribes -

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic....ople-on-earth/

Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times

Great White Sasquatch! 1st time kiddo's of Congo see white dude! - YouTube

Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is some south Pacific island where the people living there have never had any meaningful contact with the modern world and they shoot arrows at helicoptors when they fly over.

A similarly isolated community exists deep in the Brazilian jungle.

Anthropologists have said that it may be best to leave these isolated people alone because they have only known their limited world for so long, and contact with the outside might be too destabilizing.

I will find some links - I read about it in some journal - but information is also certainly available online.
Yea, this piece woke me up to the idea that there must be many more communities like this around the world. I thought that there wasn't a place on the planet that a white man hadn't been, but i was damn sure wrong on that count.

LOL@ shooting arrows at copters. Oh well.

And yea, i would just leave them alone. This man seems to really care about the rights of these people, but he can help them just the same without bringing his religion into the discussion. I don't think his presence will destabilize the community as long as he's respectful of their traditions.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't think his presence will destabilize the community as long as he's respectful of their traditions.
That's the clincher. Been a bit problematic historically.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Yea, this piece woke me up to the idea that there must be many more communities like this around the world. I thought that there wasn't a place on the planet that a white man hadn't been, but i was damn sure wrong on that count.

And yea, i would just leave them alone. This man seems to really care about the rights of these people, but he can help them just the same without bringing his religion into the discussion. I don't think his presence will destabilize the community as long as he's respectful of their traditions.
That is the key.

In the Amazon, there are miners and loggers whose activity threatens the isolated people.

I'm all for free market capitalism, but only when done with private property and capital.

Clearly, the land where the people profiled in the story to which I linked belongs to them, and they should be left alone to live in peace.

Here is a story and picture about a Sentinelese man shooting an arrow at a helicoptor following the 2004 tsunami. The Sentinelese live on an island in the Bay of Bengal and are considered the most isolated human civilization.

Stone Age cultures survive tsunami waves - World news - Tsunami, a Year Later | NBC News

Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Imagine what they could do with a RPG launcher...

Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
The Gods Must Be Crazy.

Excellent, most excellent!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quite funny.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
My mom could tell you some stories....

Whenever she went into town she'd have a group of children trailing her chanting "white person, white person".

Once she made a little boy cry because he thought he had seen a ghost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies