Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You would not have responded and quoted me, if I did not hit so close to home.
Yes, I sensed the diversion.

It does make for great entertainment.
I bet you think we're "scared" of Sarah Palin, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 PM

688 posts, read 652,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post

So he doesn't believe in same sex marriage. So what. He's entitled to his opinion. He still thinks marriage shouldn't be controlled at the federal level but rather at State level. I can deal with that.

He's not racist. He doesn't support the repeal of the Civil Rights Act as assumed.

Rand Paul 2016
Yeah, he is entitled to his opinion, but when he began pushing his opinion into law it was no longer opinion. I can't deal with that, and I'll continue to argue agents him. He's a politician who has an impact on law. Because of this, his stance matters, and should be stood against by people who support the fair treatment of gay people within their community and country.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Whats wrong with being non-interventionalist? He doesn't believe in going to war unless necessary. I agree. Closing the 1000+ foreign bases would save us billions in defense spending.

So he doesn't believe in same sex marriage. So what. He's entitled to his opinion. He still thinks marriage shouldn't be controlled at the federal level but rather at State level. I can deal with that.

He's not racist. He doesn't support the repeal of the Civil Rights Act as assumed.

Rand Paul 2016
So I take it you believe a state can deny an American living in that state their right to marry the person of their choosing? What is it with you libertarians and your love of state govt. In the history of this country, state govt's have been far more onerous than the Fed Govt. I give you Alabama, where a white man had the right to make a black woman give up her seat on a bus to him. That was a state law. I find you Libertarians to be the biggest hypocrites. You are just Rethugs wrapped in a trendy blanket. Your ideology has been tried nowhere, and will never, ever be implemented here. I'd rather this country broke apart long before any experiment with your selfish ideology.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Why You Shouldn't #StandWithRand - The Daily Beast

David Frum today points both to the speciousness of Rand Paul's center-ring filibuster act and its darker implications for our political culture:

Certainly Frum is right in seeing Rand's Rant as directed primarily at the tinfoil brigade and anti-government conspiracy kooks rather than a serious question of policy. But, that being granted, what was the point?

As the GOP struggles to make itself electable, quite a few leading Republicans, whether in office, journo-bloggos, or thinktankers, have diagnosed the party's problem as being the teavangelical eruption which produced the likes of Palin, Atkin and Murdock. But much of the backing for Paul pere & fils comes from those bent quarters: so is Rand Paul pursuing a contrarian strategy here - aiming to build a personal national base among the kooks and weirdos as a prelude to a presidential nomination?
What was the point?

What was the point of the "war on women"?
What was the point of voter ID "bringing back Jim Crow"?
What was the point of Palin marking swing states with a crosshairs being "inciting violence"?
What was the point of Ryan throwing grandma over a cliff?
What was the point of the Tea Party "hating a black man in office"?
What was the point of fleeing across state lines to avoid a vote in Wisconsin?

Hysterically exaggerating things is standard operating procedure for the left wing. Obama just spent days warning America of how it was going to be a devastated smoking ruin if 85 billion was cut from a 3.8 trillion dollar total budget, for crying out loud.

Rand Paul was engaging in political theater to draw attention to an issue, and he got a letter from the Attorney General saying they would not use drones against Americans on American soil not engaged in combat. End of story. Blocking a CIA director nomination with a filibuster has "darker implications for our political culture"? Nonsense. That hyperbole is as bad as the filibuster itself was.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
Yeah, he is entitled to his opinion, but when he began pushing his opinion into law it was no longer opinion. I can't deal with that, and I'll continue to argue agents him. He's a politician who has an impact on law. Because of this, his stance matters, and should be stood against by people who support the fair treatment of gay people within their community and country.
He wants it OUT of FEDERAL law and left to the State level.

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
So I take it you believe a state can deny an American living in that state their right to marry the person of their choosing? What is it with you libertarians and your love of state govt. In the history of this country, state govt's have been far more onerous than the Fed Govt. I give you Alabama, where a white man had the right to make a black woman give up her seat on a bus to him. That was a state law. I find you Libertarians to be the biggest hypocrites. You are just Rethugs wrapped in a trendy blanket. Your ideology has been tried nowhere, and will never, ever be implemented here. I'd rather this country broke apart long before any experiment with your selfish ideology.
First, I support gay marriage personally.

Secondly, if you don't like the State's laws, you can leave.

Funny how you think its bad to have a Federal law opposing gay marriage but support a federal law to force it.....
You don't want a law against your beliefs shoved down your throat but think its ok to have it shoved down others because you support it.

And you call us hypocrites....

Rand Paul 2016

Last edited by Jean71; 03-09-2013 at 12:53 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 AM

688 posts, read 652,392 times
Quote:
First, I support gay marriage personally.

Secondly, if you don't like the State's laws, you can leave.

Funny how you think its bad to have a Federal law opposing gay marriage but support a federal law to legalize it.....
You don't want a law against your beliefs shoved down your throat but think its ok to have it shoved down others because you support it.

And you call us hypocrites....

Rand Paul 2016
Is that not what you argued against yourself, goofball?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
Is that not what you argued against yourself, goofball?
What??
I support taking marriage away from the Federal level and leave it up to the States.
If I don't like a State's laws I can leave and go to one with laws I do support.
Everyone has the freedom to choose instead of the govt. choosing for everyone.
Everyone can have it their way.

How is that so hard to understand?

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
What??
I support taking marriage away from the Federal level and leave it up to the States.
If I don't like a State's laws I can leave and go to one with laws I do support.
Everyone has the freedom to choose instead of the govt. choosing for everyone.
Everyone can have it their way.

How is that so hard to understand?

Rand Paul 2016
What in the world are you talking about? Lets take civil rights...So you agree with Rand Paul that a restaurant owner or a state should have the right to refuse service to blacks? In your world, blacks would then have to move to another state to get service.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Lets take civil rights...So you agree with Rand Paul that a restaurant owner or a state should have the right to refuse service to blacks? In your world, blacks would then have to move to another state to get service.
Really. I can't make it any simpler to understand.

A private establishment already has the right to refuse business to anyone they want.
Once again the race card.
Since Rand supports a Laissez-Faire market, said business would end up going out of business since no one would support them.
Simply put, Rand Paul doesn't think its fair that a business shouldn't be allowed to refuse service to a black yet the business can refuse service to anyone else.
Why should a business be allowed to refuse service to whites, asians, hispanics, gays...but not blacks?
How is that not racist??

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=10705651

Rand Paul 2016

Last edited by Jean71; 03-09-2013 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies