Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
First off, Obama is not an eloquent orator. I felt Mitt Romney made far better speeches and points than Obama ever has. Obama speaks in generalities and never really says how to fix things beyond making the rich pay their "fair share." What has he ever said or done that has raised up the living standards of anyone but his wealthy donors?
Romney may have given good speeches, but the content of those speeches didn't inspire people or energize people emotionally like Obama's speeches did. Obama knows exactly what to say, how to say it, and what issues to focus on in order to energize his supporters. This takes us back to the original topic of this thread. Social issues energize people and play to people's emotions. Obama was talking social issues during the 2012 campaign and Romney wasn't. That went a long way with moderate voters who may not be impressed with Obama's economic policies but support him on social issues. It did a lot to turn out the young "gay marriage" voters and ultimately won Obama the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Romney may have given good speeches, but the content of those speeches didn't inspire people or energize people emotionally like Obama's speeches did. Obama knows exactly what to say, how to say it, and what issues to focus on in order to energize his supporters. This takes us back to the original topic of this thread. Social issues energize people and play to people's emotions. Obama was talking social issues during the 2012 campaign and Romney wasn't. That went a long way with moderate voters who may not be impressed with Obama's economic policies but support him on social issues. It did a lot to turn out the young "gay marriage" voters and ultimately won Obama the election.
I was distinctly unimpressed with Romney's discussions on foreign policy. That totally turned me off.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
so you're okay with being responsible for the economic destruction of our country because you think Adam & Steve should get hitched ?

nice, intelligent casting of your vote
What in the world would lead you to believe that he cast his vote with same-sex marriage being the only issue?

Did you get that from his original post?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
What in the world would lead you to believe that he cast his vote with same-sex marriage being the only issue?

Did you get that from his original post?
That is presumably one of the "social issues" upon which he bases his vote.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Payroll taxes are based on income but not considered income taxes per se:
Payroll Tax Definition | Investopedia

Income Tax Definition | Investopedia
they are not income taxes in title but they are paid based on income. He was trying to make the argument that half the country are free loaders because they don't pay income taxes. That is false. People that pay payroll taxes are not free loaders.

8% of the population doesn't pay income or payroll taxes. And a large percentage of those people are full time workers who make less than 20%.

the real free loader percentage is around 3-5%. Not the 47% Romney would have us believe.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I tend to vote for Democrats because I hate Republicans stance on social issues.

Will there be a day when Republicans will focus solely on fiscal and economic policy and simply say, social issues can be decided at the state level?

I think many Obama supporters would switch sides if Republicans could ease up a bit.
So you would put, say, gay marriage ahead of fixing this out of control spending?

A lot of Republicans do say a lot of issues can be left to the states, not sure where you've been.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I tend to vote for Democrats because I hate Republicans stance on social issues.

Will there be a day when Republicans will focus solely on fiscal and economic policy and simply say, social issues can be decided at the state level?

I think many Obama supporters would switch sides if Republicans could ease up a bit.

They tend to contradict themselves alot. Here is an example, they want less intrusion into state's rights but are against the states right to legalize cannabis. Many of them are against abortions but complain about sex education in schools and are against the so-called "handouts".

Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
So you would put, say, gay marriage ahead of fixing this out of control spending?

A lot of Republicans do say a lot of issues can be left to the states, not sure where you've been.
Both parties SPEND!

When will people realize this LOL.

Did the deficit or debt under Bush decrease? Did it even remain the same? NO

Did the deficit or debt under Reagan decrease? Did it even remain the same? NO

Ask yourself, which party wants to INCREASE military spending by $2 trillion?

When it comes to spending, BOTH parties are the same and to blame.

Talk is cheap, I look at a track record.

Democrats SPEND AND TAX

Republicans SPEND AND BORROW

Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
levy taxes is one of the powers enumerated federal powers in the constitution.
Yep. It does come with rules, though. And the government sometimes likes to remember only the power itself and forget the rules about how the power is supposed to be used.

Quote:
The constitution doesn't detail what can and can't be taxed and at what rate. Regulating commerce is another federal power.
It doesn't detail what can and can't be taxed at what specific rate, but it details what the taxes can be used for. That indicates what the total tax revenue should be (hence my saying tax only for the revenue you need) and the purpose you're allowed to collect it for (which isn't for wealth redistribution or fairness, to put a point on it).

Quote:
Tax for only the revenue you need? How do you define need?
from The General Welfare Clause

Few americans realize that up until 1937 the Congress of the United States conducted its business within the boundaries of seventeen enumerated powers granted under Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution. these powers defined clearly the areas of national purposes over which Congress could enact legislation including the allocation of funds and levying of taxes. Anything not set down in the enumerated powers was considered outside the purview of the national government and hence, a matter for the states.

Note "including the allocation of funds and levying of taxes"

Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
The following is for anyone thinking about voting republican.

The republicans in this thread are Fox news and Rush radio listeners.
Fox news and Rush radio tell these people 100's of lies. I could list over 1,000 republican lies, if you ask me I will list them.

Fox news and Rush radio tell them lies like these,
"Tax cuts for the rich increase government revenues"
100% of respected economists say they do not increase revenues.

"Global warming is not happening"
97% of climate scientists say it is, republicans say this lie as a favor for ExxonMobile.

"Social Security is in financial trouble"
SS has a $2.7 trillion dollar surplus. They say this lie to privatize SS, then the Wall Street CEO's can charge $750 billion dollars in fees, and US CEO's will have a field day with everyone's retirement money.

They lie and say "the flat tax helps all Americans"
Their flat tax raises taxes on the poor and middle class, and significantly lowers taxes on the rich.

They lie and say "democrats are the big spenders"
R. Reagan and GW Bush added more money to our debt than anyone, with supply side tax cuts for the rich. Romney wanted to add $6.6 trillion dollars to our national debt with supply side tax cuts.

The above is only a small example of republican lies.
Who would want to fall into this world of economic and scientific lies?

These Fox news and Rush radio republicans, also believe in many insane communist conspiracy theories. They (literally) believe that America's democrats are involved in a plot to turn America into communists. They also believe Americas college professors are involved in this plot.

They believe the main stream media is biased, (and involved in a communist plot), and that the media is against republican politicians (but its a republican lie.)

They believe B. Obama was born in Kenya, they believe Obama is a Muslim, and Obama hates white people (they are all lies too)

The following Australian documentary, explains how republicans lie for the large corporations that finance Fox news and Rush radio. If you watch this documentary you will learn republicans are manipulated by corporate CEO's as if they were retarded sheep.

The Billionaires' Tea Party (Full Length Documentary) - YouTube

I can provide a non-partisan and credible source for all of my above statements.

Last edited by chad3; 03-09-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies