Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you pay the price for American goods?
Yes, of course. 45 61.64%
No, I determine what I buy by price. If a sweater from China cost $20 compared to the $50 American made one, I'll choose the Chinese made. 16 21.92%
Different Option. 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times

Advertisements

On some things, I insist on a higher quality of workmanship. Then, I would consider American made IF the quality is on par. I play bass and I will buy an American, Japanese or Korean made bass, but I WILL NOT buy Chinese as a matter of principle. American guitars cost way more, but often are the only option for a good guitar. Japanese quality is every bit as good as American with Korean not far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
I should've said this in the OP, this is more of a hypothetical question in regards to paying the price for American goods. Of course it's nearly impossible to buy strictly from one particular country, hell even in North Korea it isn't possible to do that, but I wanted to know if American goods had a higher price than something made in say China, but was similar in quality and possible longevity, would you be willing to pay the higher price for the American goods?

When exactly did America become a place where people didn't want to pay the price for quality goods? Did companies just move to save a buck and didn't want regulation, or did they do it because they believed the consumer wanted lower prices? I'm positive if the 'Cheap Invasion' as I call it never happened, Americans would've been fine paying $50 for a shirt because we'd ultimately have more cash in our pockets.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We always choose American made over China and will avoid it if possible. If you need ceramics/ mixing bowls, knick knacks etc...please buy from a local potter. We need to support American artisians when we can. Just the way I feel. Let China worry about their starving 7 year olds.
We have a few stores that sell regular foreign products as well as made in US and locally made items. So you get a choice in one location.

Made in US things are surely not as good as they were at one time but often not as bad as Chinese made products. You really have to comparison shop.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default Made in USA

My cars, Buick and Subaru are made in the USA. My shoes, mostly, are New Balance and USA made. Most of my tools were made in the USA decades ago.

I believe we need countervailing tariffs to negate any price differences created by slave wages, child labor or dangerous manufacturing, on imported products. if Japan or Korea Can produce less expensive automobiles because they have 21st century robotized production lines they would not have any tariff to pay. If they made the cars with very low paid workers they would pay the difference.

Prices would increase for everyone but the good would be available.

Allowing primary industries like steel and aluminum to be gutted by dumping is beyond dumb. Do we really believe out potential enemies are going to sell us steel to make weapons if we are at war with them?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you have a country like China subsidizing and dumping products on the market below their value what is your solution?
Take them to the world trade arbitration commission and PROVE your case! It isn't enough for you to repeat what you've heard; you need to prove it. That's one of the things your nation is founded upon; the rule of law.

The problem as I see it: the incentives are not there for a forceful investigation and prosecuting these things before any panel BECAUSE the political structure owes too much allegiance to lobbyists and commercial enterprises who have gained immensely from all of these trade agreements hence they willingly overlook transgressions as it's only the lowly consumer getting fleeced and there are billions more where they came from.

China compliantly and willingly underwriting and purchasing your debt also doesn't lend itself to a ****ing contest with them before the World Trade org. In short you're screwed!

Confirmation in my thinking comes via your illegal alien policy of bluster and bluff for the cameras only to discuss amensty not just once, but mulitiple times. This effectively entrenches lower wage policies by forcing american workers into compettition with a domestic 'cheap wage' labor pool that should not exist in the numbers it does. Who exactly does this benefit ..... politicians and their corperate cronies.

Is there discussion in allowing amnesty for illegal aliens from eastern Europe for example who might have doctorates but are driving cabs in NYC? NOPE! Illegal aliens from any other part of the world are deported post haste when caught but the cheaper labor pool who will vote en-masse for whatever party that has shown them favourtism....well you can guess where I'm going with this.

The will is just not there at this time to challenge trade issues.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sounds like a chicken/egg scenario.

70's style pensions went the way of the Dodo bird. No one is willing to pay a pension tax.
Because people do not connect the dots. There was never a public debate as to what the real cost of cheap TV sets, cell phones and DVD players is. Most folks still think it came for free. Nobody seriously considered giving their long term jobs (with benefits) for cheap toys.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ye pensions went away in the 80's and 90's with the yuppies

they dint want pensions...they wanted MOBILiTY
Perhaps, yet I don't know the number of yuppies vs the rest of America. Did 2 million yuppies (at most) change the lives of the other 300m? I doubt it.
But the truth is that it was never a uniform society. There were millions who did not enjoy the relative job security of the 70s. But there was a stronger middle class that "anchored" society. This anchor is missing today and one can see the results everywhere. The political polarization and the sequester are reminders of this socioeconomic vacuum.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I should've said this in the OP, this is more of a hypothetical question in regards to paying the price for American goods. Of course it's nearly impossible to buy strictly from one particular country, hell even in North Korea it isn't possible to do that, but I wanted to know if American goods had a higher price than something made in say China, but was similar in quality and possible longevity, would you be willing to pay the higher price for the American goods?

When exactly did America become a place where people didn't want to pay the price for quality goods? Did companies just move to save a buck and didn't want regulation, or did they do it because they believed the consumer wanted lower prices? I'm positive if the 'Cheap Invasion' as I call it never happened, Americans would've been fine paying $50 for a shirt because we'd ultimately have more cash in our pockets.
Look at your RV industry as an example of one with still very little off-shore competition but manages to build junk and sell it to you because why.....you routinely demand a 25% discount from list for merely walking through the showroom door.

Those things are being built by manufacturer's taking advantage of and using the old fashioned "team concept" by primarily Amish workers whose religious beliefs pre-empt their membership in any "union".
They give flexible hours to those workers to allow them to come in at 3:am and put so many units through a "station" before they go home to milk the cows and do the farm chores. Oftentimes whole family units are working on one team. Does this breed quality.... NOPE! Their motivation is to shove units through the checkpoint and then get their weekly top-up bonus that serves to give the team as a whole a living wage.

So far this segment of your economy has no off shore competition but......

China, Korea or Japan start building an rv trailer for your market and you will really watch the fur fly, plus you will line up to buy them for their assumed superior quality. Remember the cars of the sixties and seventies where door panels didn't even align with the fenders? Who or what changed that?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Perhaps, yet I don't know the number of yuppies vs the rest of America. Did 2 million yuppies (at most) change the lives of the other 300m? I doubt it.
But the truth is that it was never a uniform society. There were millions who did not enjoy the relative job security of the 70s. But there was a stronger middle class that "anchored" society. This anchor is missing today and one can see the results everywhere. The political polarization and the sequester are reminders of this socioeconomic vacuum.
On the money! Taken in context with other effects, a tsunami wave still growing today.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM

192 posts, read 348,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"things would change"

Yeah they would; in a heartbeat! Those countries your shareholder owned companies desire to sell goods to ~ like the billions of folks in China or India, just for two, would exclaim "you don't buy our stuff, we won't buy yours" .....ooopsy!

Those countries, who export to you, valuable minerals etc., required for the production of your stuff you wish to sell to them will raise the price of those required minerals, oils, base metals, precious metals, etc., to compensate for the lost jobs in their countries and guess what happens next....you cannot afford to buy the stuff you're making and neither can anyone else, ergo you go broke!

What country is gonna buy your latest whiz bang what-not if you don't allow their production into your markets. They'll simply go to another supplier such as China, Russia, yep, even Israel, for a stealth fighter, a weapons delivery system, a lap-top, a pair of work boots or a car.

Picture the city of Detroit repeating itself across the whole of the U.S of A.
Did you know that we spent millions and millions of dollars buying military equipment from other countries that was found to be counterfeit and was malfunctioning on our troops? We really dont have many exports and I dont know what minerals you are talking about that we couldnt provide for ourselves. What is wrong with being self sufficient and having Americans making products for other Americans? We dont have a big export keeping our country afloat, but yet we buy everything from other counties. We are not trading, we are giving them control of our economy. Did you know that for every dollar we have, 60 cents goes to china. That is ALOT of money that could be circulating HERE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies