Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,424,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, as I have always said, liberals are the racist. Liberals think all Blacks are stupid and need Affirmative Action.

Whateverhappentocomm's channel - YouTube

[youtube]epDDTApAkGM{/youtube]
Well, you have ALWAYS been wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,812,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Well, you have ALWAYS been wrong.
This is a smart man who gets it. I would be offended too.

5,190 posts, read 4,848,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's just not a legitimate question. You come up with something purposely designed to hurt someone and then expect other people to justify how it actually helps that person. Nobody claimed that would help them in the first place, so why ask how it would?
Friedman and his neo-lib policies, advocates and disciples do just that.

think Thatcher, Reagan, Pinochet, etc....etc...

this is just what they do.

they smash the poor in order to benefit the already rich and upwardly mobile.

then they hide behind lies and sophistry, claiming that they are actually helping the people.

NO, they are only helping themselves and their own power group

The elitist agenda at it finest and vilest!

18,665 posts, read 20,011,541 times
Quote:
"Allowing people to live like babies" is enormously patronizing. You do realize that there are conditions which have to be met in order to receive public assistance, don't you? People can't just walk up to an office and say they need assistance and get it. In fact, the government does a pretty good job of due diligence regarding applicants who apply for public assistance.
We should limit how long each person can stay, with limits known long in advance, just like Welfare. We should of course assist with job training programs to transition them into being self-sufficient.

30 years ago, i tutored mostly low income kids, and told our campus faculty, their job was to eliminate (largely) the need for my job. They failed miserably.

That eliminate the need for my job should be the mantra of the social welfare workers, if it isn't, they are pimping those they supposedly wish to help.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 PM

I know a girl who was on welfare all her life and she should not have been, she was soaking the system. She was totally clueless, long story short she was forced off welfare with Clinton.

She will tell you that welfare was the worst thing for her. It kept her feeling down on herself, dependent and lazy. Now that she works she says she is much happier.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,833,752 times
Quote:
"Allowing people to live like babies" is enormously patronizing. You do realize that there are conditions which have to be met in order to receive public assistance, don't you? People can't just walk up to an office and say they need assistance and get it. In fact, the government does a pretty good job of due diligence regarding applicants who apply for public assistance.
Yes it IS patronizing -- taking MY money and the money of others who worked for it, and doling it out to people who didn't work for it because you think those people are too stupid or lazy to work for anything is very very patronizing.

You are the one who is assuming that all those millions of people living off government handouts are incapable of doing anything for themselves. Not I -- I believe they are capable of working, of being productive members of society, not just lazy mooches.

I want them to feel the joy one receives from a job well done, feeling productive and earning one's keep.

The government is doing a very lousy job because the majority of people living off government handouts actually are capable of doing something more with themselves.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda
leaving welfare aside for one minute, how about the notion of throwing the 'working poor' out onto the streets in order to make way for a new luxury apartment complex?

This will just be for those that can pay the higher rents.

so how will this help the WORKING burger flipper? (and please come up with something more original than 'they need to up-skill')
The answer is to upgrade your skills. Sorry, no magic pill, no magic carpet. Hey I can sympathize kind of until you vote for Obama to keep raising taxes on the rich, and he raised them on you LOL.... FOOL!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,848,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petch751
I know a girl who was on welfare all her life and she should not have been, she was soaking the system. She was totally clueless, long story short she was forced off welfare with Clinton.

She will tell you that welfare was the worst thing for her. It kept her feeling down on herself, dependent and lazy. Now that she works she says she is much happier.
great nugget of information there Petch

next you'll be telling us you met a Cuban exile on the golf course - and he say Cuba bad!

Cuba must be bad then , the great Satan.

and do you know what - I once met a girl who said welfare was good.

Welfare must be good then, right?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,424,106 times
Quote:

"I know a girl" .....one anecdote doesn't mean much in the big picture, you know.

Myth: Poverty is a minority issue.

This doesn’t mean that minorities are not living in poverty; it means that it is not solely a minority issue. Let’s look at the statistics. In 2004, the overall poverty rate was 12.7%. 25% of Blacks, 22% of Hispanics, 8% of Asians, and 8.6% of Whites were categorized as poor. When you look at the total numbers, however, the majority of people in poverty in the U.S. are White. 47% of the people in poverty in the United States are White. In 2004, that was almost 17 million people.

Myth: Government assistance is sufficient and encourages independence.

However, it is almost impossible to get out of poverty by relying on government assistance alone. Again, let’s look at the numbers. In 2005, the average welfare check for one parent with two children was $478 a month. Did you know that 20 years ago, it was $408? The assistance available for those in needs barely allows them to cope with their conditions, let alone help them get to a place where they no longer need assistance.

Myth: Social mobility is possible.

There is a prevalent idea and belief that people can get out of poverty by working hard. The numbers:

• 2/3 of people living in poverty work an average of 1.7 jobs
  • 1 in 4 earns poverty level wages (less than $8.84 an hour)
  • 27% of working families have incomes below 200% of the poverty level

Myths & Stereotypes about Poverty in the U.S.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,475,874 times
Quote:
This is a smart man who gets it. I would be offended too.

I've been subscribed to his youtube channel for a while. He's over the top but it is still interesting to listen to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies