Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,421,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like people in previous generations didn't ?

Sometimes what happens is out of our hands. The majority of Americans don't get a say in laws that are passed. And politicians sometimes, no make that most of the time, don't always do what they promised.

What happens in DC is but in the hands of a few and the rest of us have no choice but to go along.
The only change you can really effect is on a personal level.
Look at Reagan.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,830,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Look, I have had a great successful life so far. I will become a lawyer, hopefully, in a few months and enjoy working in law. I just cannot stand when people who obviously are responsible for the entire mess the country is in and are arguing that we need to "reform" social security in medicare in such a way that pushes all the burden on the younger generations. It drives me mad. I do think the older generation has had numerous collective failures and quite frankly a lot of them as you can tell from this thread are blaming it on young people. It is like watching a bunch of bueracrats try to skip blame for a problem in an organization and I find it distasteful.
Too bad Obamacare will decrease the amount of loonie farms, you will have a hard time getting treatment.

These people paid into social security and were promised social security when they retired. So you think it is ok to give a bunch of lazy scammers social security and welfare and screw the people who paid into it all their lives?

Obama got the youth vote because he knew they were gullible and he pandered to them. That vote helped Obama win. Maybe next time they will look past the coolness factor.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times
Quote:
Look at Reagan.
Reagan was one man at one point in time. Are you going to spend your life blaming past Presidents ?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Too bad Obamacare will decrease the amount of loonie farms, you will have a hard time getting treatment.

These people paid into social security and were promised social security when they retired. So you think it is ok to give a bunch of lazy scammers social security and welfare and screw the people who paid into it all their lives?

Obama got the youth vote because he knew they were gullible and he pandered to them. That vote helped Obama win. Maybe next time they will look past the coolness factor.
It is amazing, I guess this is what they mean by Obama derangment syndrome. Everything is all Obama or someone else's fault huh?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,350,204 times
Quote:
Well lets take a look at how other generations did. I would in terms of the debt they were doing pretty darn good up until a certain generation came of age and elected Reagan.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._President.jpg
Bull.
And really, try a decent source.
Wiki doesn't cut it.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,158,093 times
Quote:
Look, I have had a great successful life so far. I will become a lawyer, hopefully, in a few months and enjoy working in law. I just cannot stand when people who obviously are responsible for the entire mess the country is in and are arguing that we need to "reform" social security in medicare in such a way that pushes all the burden on the younger generations. It drives me mad. I do think the older generation has had numerous collective failures and quite frankly a lot of them as you can tell from this thread are blaming it on young people. It is like watching a bunch of bueracrats try to skip blame for a problem in an organization and I find it distasteful.
I wish for you the best in your law career. My son will have his doctorate in the STEM field in a few months, and I don't wish for anyone to struggle starting out. But it drives me mad as well to be blamed for all of the problems simply because of my age. I'm a boomer technically. But, falling at the very far end of the boomer range. When you finally quit blaming others your be better off. Life isn't fair, it wasn't fair to us boomers, it isn't fair to you... and that too is a lesson in life that most folks need to learn sooner than later...

Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Reagan was one man at one point in time. Are you going to spend your life blaming past Presidents ?
No. I think every president except Clinton, up to and including Obama's first term had a hand in this and we are going to have to fight politically to get our politicians to act responsibly. I am ready to do that. I just dislike how this is getting dropped on my generation like a load of bricks and then insult is added to injury.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,910,024 times
in the words of Rodney Dangerfield, "now i know why tigers eat their young"

Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,563,929 times
Quote:
All I want is a bit acknowledgement that there is plenty of blame to go around and some shared sacrifice in policy. That is all.
The "stuff" in red are responses to the other "stuff" offered from your generation and in point of fact originated with the O/P's offerings did they not? You did use the words "start this generational warfare" did you not?

Now as to the part of plenty of blame to go around; yeah man, you got that right!

Shared sacrifice in policy? Not sure what you mean, but if you don't call millions of seniors having the goalposts moved regarding their retirement savings, a sacrifice I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,350,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
When did I claim Gen Y is special? All I'm saying is that my generation has it harder from an earlier age, and that at least your generation had a better opportunity to build wealth while they were still young. Not all of them no, but generally speaking it hasn't been this bad economically since the Great Depression a lifetime ago.
Several times.
You said you deserved whatever in the first 5-10 pages.
You don't deserve squat.

I'm glad that the young people I hire are not at all like you.
Nope, they're not entitled brats.

Who in my generation built wealth?
You live in some dream world built on envy.
You haven't seen the work that people did to get where they are, the sacrifices that they made.
Most people are middle of the road, working in sucky jobs to make a living.
Every generation has it hard.

Almost every one of your posts comes off as entitled and spoiled.
Guaranteed to set you up for failure or a steep learning curve to avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies