Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No one is coming for you crowbar in hand.

I'm giving you a taste of the same generalization overkill you've been using on these threads.

As evidenced by your quote I bolded twice; you seem to think our future and well being are reliant upon your largesse and we should therefor show empathy to you in your faux plight of having it much much tougher than any foregoing generation. NOPE!

As depicted by some of your generation who've come on here to state opportunities abound if you change your sight line.

Want to pay down that student debt instead of simply declaring bankruptcy like the bulk of you do to get it wiped. Answer could be suck it up and go get your hands dirty in an oil field for just two years and I guarndamntee your debt would be gone if you lived frugally.

Who knows you might even get to like the work and become a stellar tool pusher and be highly sought after so you get to pick and choose your 6 figure job sites.

Like you I thought my parents were the dumbest sumbitches on the face of the planet UNTIL I started working, making car payments, appliance payments, mortgage payments. Then I realized they should have been on a damn pedestal for dragging us along in their wake while they were doing all that chit and SMILING.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I think Gen Y's problem is that they want to start out at the top and don't start where they belong, at the bottom. Go get ANY job for now and work your way up.
Yup! What SourD said.

I have a BIL who could not find work in the recession of the 80's. Do you know what he did? He found a company he wanted to work for and volunteered to work for free. The owner was so impressed he hired him at minimum wage even though he wasn't hiring. My BIL worked his way up to regional manager and then bought into the company eventually branching out on his own.

The problem with gen Y is they don't want to start at the bottom. They had better watch it because the generation coming up behind them is seeing them flounder and if they change their tune and are willing to start at the bottom and work their way up, gen Y will be the generation that was skipped.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm giving you a taste of the same generalization overkill you've been using on these threads.

As evidenced by your quote I bolded twice; you seem to think our future and well being are reliant upon your largesse and we should therefor show empathy to you in your faux plight of having it much much tougher than any foregoing generation. NOPE!

As depicted by some of your generation who've come on here to state opportunities abound if you change your sight line.

Want to pay down that student debt instead of simply declaring bankruptcy like the bulk of you do to get it wiped. Answer could be suck it up and go get your hands dirty in an oil field for just two years and I guarndamntee your debt would be gone if you lived frugally.

Who knows you might even get to like the work and become a stellar tool pusher and be highly sought after so you get to pick and choose your 6 figure job sites.

Like you I thought my parents were the dumbest sumbitches on the face of the planet UNTIL I started working, making car payments, appliance payments, mortgage payments. Then I realized they should have been on a damn pedestal for dragging us along in their wake while they were doing all that chit and SMILING.
I don't think it is an exaggeration or a generalization to say that the political and big business leadership of your generation thus far has been a dismal failure dominated by greed and infighting. I am not saying that Gen Y should start at the top, but rather its disappointing to watch.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
And how does one identify the 'deciding vote'?
"Young people were not, however, crucial to Barack Obama’s victory, according to the exit polls. Obama would have lost Indiana and North Carolina, but carried other key states such as Ohio and Florida, as well as the national vote."

Young Voters in the 2008 Election | Pew Research Center

Old 03-14-2013, 04:39 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
It seems like the Silent generation was the only generation that "had it good" when they came of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.
Fact, it takes a job to get a job so get a job. ANY job and keep looking. Look both within and without. Learn every skill you can. Make yourself valuable. Work your way up or out to a better job.

Fact, you don't get to start at the top so maybe you'll need a part time job on top of your full time job for a while but those who want to succeed do what they have to.

Fact, if you wait for someone else to do it for you, you'll be living in moms basement sleeping on the couch in 20 years. No one else will put in more effort for you than you will. Yes, it's hard but that just means you have to try harder.

2,238 posts, read 1,444,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
OP, Go into the Skilled Trades and that is where all the demand and money are and the Future lies for your Generation as the Baby Boomers Retire.
I second this comment, I just quit my job 2 weeks ago and took a chance to work with an electrical contractor ansmd so far i'm loving it. The work right now is mostly low voltage but they do bigger projects and I feel much more fulfilled in what i'm doing now as opposed to my last job as a temp worker which btw the guy I worked with is now being let go and another temp agency is taking over the contract. So I feel pretty damn lucky

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
It seems like the Silent generation was the only generation that "had it good" when they came of age.
Which generation is the "silent" generation? I'm not familiar with that term.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Which generation is the "silent" generation? I'm not familiar with that term.
Born 1925 to 1945

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I second this comment, I just quit my job 2 weeks ago and took a chance to work with an electrical contractor ansmd so far i'm loving it. The work right now is mostly low voltage but they do bigger projects and I feel much more fulfilled in what i'm doing now as opposed to my last job as a temp worker which btw the guy I worked with is now being let go and another temp agency is taking over the contract. So I feel pretty damn lucky

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2
I hope it works out for you. Half of my family is in the trades, mostly fitters, and times can be good and times can be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies