Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We all have our traumas:
Vietnam War Statistics
9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam Era (5 August 1965-7 May 1975)
Over 58,000 died.
Severely disabled: 75,000, 23,214 were classified 100% disabled. 5,283 lost
limbs, 1,081 sustained multiple amputations. Amputation or crippling wounds to the lower extremities were 300% higher than in WWII and 70% higher than in Korea. Multiple amputations occurred at the rate of 18.4% compared to 5.7% in WWII.
76% of the men sent to Vietnam were from lower middle/working class backgrounds

Nice little walk in the park there.

Compare that with the whiney I'm not making $60k on my first job.

Yes that would be the poor who did not have the college get out of Vietnam free card. Proud of that ?

Who from gen-y is saying that want a 60k entry level job in this forum?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Gen Y's biggest problem are BOOMER entitlements: the unyielding expansion of social security and Medicare that hasn't been paid for.

What entitlements does Gen Y enjoy? Please elaborate.
You misunderstand. It's not that they enjoy entitlements, it's that they have an entitled attitude. They believe they are entitled to the same things a 60 year old has after years of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
As A GEN Xer I completely agree. This is what I blame the Boomers for - Creating this incredible sense of entitlement in their offspring.
As a fellow Gen Xer, we're of the same mind. They called us arrogant and lazy when I was younger. While both of those were true at times, we never had the sense of entitlement Yers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Nobody is blaming young people for the economic conditions. This is however a generation that thinks they can start at the top AND live a party life AND live in the hipster city of their choice (Portland, Seattle) all at the same time. They complain about how bad they have it when it doesn't work out like it does on TV. Their priorities are out of whack. Nothing wrong with living a party life. Nothing wrong with moving from Kansas City to Seattle to be at the epicentre of the cultural movement of our time. You have to have realistic expectations though and this generation for the most part does not.
I find all this to be true. I know Yers who live in DC proper (not really a party city but an expensive one) and pay through the nose for a super nice Friends style apartment. They can't afford anything else mind you and they whine about how poor they are but hey, they have a stylish 'pad.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
See this is why I don't give my kid sh*t. Granted he's only 21 months. He doesn't get to watch what he wants. Daddy is not watching Team Umizumi. We are going to watch basketball. You have to nip this stuff in the bud early. lol.

No but really you can only blame the parents for how they raise their kids. This is what you would call "First world Problems." You work to provide for your family all the good stuff that you never had. They grow up and don't appreciate it like you would. It's a common issue that happens when you provide for your kid without making them suffer first.
LOL I agree with you.

Yes, it's the parents fault. 150%. But we're past the point where blaming them does any real good beyond making us feel better. I know we all want our kids to have it better than we did. We also need to understand there are limits. Telling your kids they are special is one thing, raising them to believe they are super special snowflakes the world needs more than any other is a whole 'nother issue.

I have been witness to parents calling their grown adult children's supervisor when their adult children didn't get the promotion mommy thought they deserved.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We all have our traumas:
Vietnam War Statistics
9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam Era (5 August 1965-7 May 1975)
Over 58,000 died.
Severely disabled: 75,000, 23,214 were classified 100% disabled. 5,283 lost
limbs, 1,081 sustained multiple amputations. Amputation or crippling wounds to the lower extremities were 300% higher than in WWII and 70% higher than in Korea. Multiple amputations occurred at the rate of 18.4% compared to 5.7% in WWII.
76% of the men sent to Vietnam were from lower middle/working class backgrounds

Nice little walk in the park there.

Compare that with the whiney I'm not making $60k on my first job.
Not like there were two wars fought at the same time during the current generation? Just be happy medical tech has improved so the total deaths isn't significantly higher.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Yes and no.

Yes, everyone is going through it.

No, everyone isn't feeling the same impact

Fresh entrants to the labor market aren't getting experience or developing the skills they need, and those who can't break into a career of some sort in their twenties will find themselves aged out of most good fields. There are de-facto age limits to a lot of entry-level work, and if you don't get your foot in the door soon enough it will close.

The second group getting really badly screwed are workers in their fifties getting laid off during a prolonged recession. Pretty much can mean the end of a career. Not as bad as never developing one in the first place, but still devastating.

The third group are people who lost a lot of money on a house bought at the peak of the market who don't have the good sense to do a strategic default.

So yeah, everyone is getting hit, but those are the three groups really taking it on the chin.
I think that the main problem in this thread is the whiny attitude of some of the younger posters.
Certainly not all, but really, if these kids can't see that everyone is taking a hit, they don't deserve breaks.

I can't fix their problems, every generation has problems.
My parent's generation couldn't fix mine.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And yet the liberals support amnesty for 12 million illegals who somehow manage to find jobs.
Employers have to pay legal residents at least min wage and licensed tradespeople have expenses.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Maybe you should occupy the office of Janet over at DHS and demand she enforce immigration law. Then put down your iPad and X-box and occupy a shovel or a hammer or tractor trailer or a weedeater. All those jobs that you young Americans "just won't do"? Guess who used to do them?!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
And yet the liberals support amnesty for 12 million illegals who somehow manage to find jobs.

Did you ever know any of them? I did and I can tell you why. I was a friend of a guy who ran a restaurant, and I befriended several of his Mexican cooks. Since I have a good deal of cooking skills I even showed them several ways to peel garlic. I tried to convince them to make their own stock, but well..He told me he was probably going to retire rather early since the cash he was making was quite valuable in Mexico.

So now, is this a great country or what that our natives must do the same and flee the country! Would Latvia be the success that is so often spoken about?

And I hope you don't think the liberals like the illegals? I still have many friends in small business.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Maybe you should occupy the office of Janet over at DHS and demand she enforce immigration law.
immigration didn't destroy the economy; it's a red herring

in fact the only immigration that's really a problem are the LEGAL H1B visas, which enable corporations to bring over foreigners and pay them less than Americans.. and you don't see many people speaking out over that.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Employers have to pay legal residents at least min wage and licensed tradespeople have expenses.
Indeed, and when these millions become legal they will be able to compete for jobs in a far wider range and those who don't want to pay prevailing wages will see that more follow that will work for less.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
I'm done debating this. Everyone here obviously despises me for being disabled and on SSI, and I am going to college and going to look for part time work in the near future. I honestly don't give a f*ck that you consider me sub-human, I'm just going to make a better life for myself and work on being self-sufficient. People suck anyways so I don't care what most of them think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies