Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
is there a difference?

No matter how you slice it, you and the rest of the old folks sit around pretending that you paid your way.

Yet when the topic changes to, say, some obvious give-away like Medicare Part D -- there is a conspicuous silence.

Ha, 28%? You think that's high?

Even if they confiscated ALL your money, and then surgically sliced each of you into little pieces and sold your organs and tissue to foreigners, your generation STILL wouldn't be worth enough to cover the $2.2 MILLION in net costs that each boomer extracts from the U.S. in his/her lifetime.

Oh, and by the way -- it is coming out of my pocket. It's paid for through deficits, which means that we're debasing the currency to pay for it. This is, of course, in addition to FICA taxes.

What ephemeral hardship?

I've already made it clear: I had intelligent parents. I'm doing fine. They prepared me for the clusterf*ck that your generation has set up for us.

I just find it offensive to be told that "I have it easy" by the people whose mess I will have to clean up.

No, I'm arguing that your moral imperatives aren't GREATER than anyone else's, and thus should not be subsidized by the United States.

This goes back to the cognitive dissonance, and like I said -- your INABILITY to acknowledge the fact that older generations have not paid their way.

You will believe that you paid your way until the day that you die, because you are not capable of believing anything different.
O.K. I get it now.

Recap: We bled the tank dry and left you holding the wet end of the chit stick.

We collectively, as two generations, conspired to rape and pillage the coffers of your inheritance.

We now refuse to accept responsibility for the above and are collectively thumbing our noses at your terrible plight without a thought or a care.

We, moreover, like the Shylock in the Merchant of Venice are STILL attempting to bleed whatever we can from the dying corpses of our progeny.

That about right?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post

I have been witness to parents calling their grown adult children's supervisor when their adult children didn't get the promotion mommy thought they deserved.
O MG, I would have been horrified. Parents calling my supervisor?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it's different if you're young, because the costs will still be around after the old folks die

it's an intergenerational transfer that is designed to break down and collapse shortly after the boomers die
So I was never young? Gee... that's nice to know. Now... tell me again.. why is it unfair for you to pay but it was always "fair" when I paid (or in this case.. am still paying.)

See I'm one of the old geezer boomer's. I'm still paying in. Will be for another 17 years. So why is it okay for me to pay in another 17 (plus the 36 I've paid in previously since my first job at age 14) and you need a pass? We're waiting.....

Last edited by aus10; 03-15-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm not talking about the ones who are content to sit at home and play 360 24-7. A lot of my peers have jobs but either hours are getting cut, being affected by the furlough, or are working unpaid internship after another, all trying to pay back student loans from colleges whose tuitions ballooned up from 2005 on.
Like I said, meeemories!

As for the student loans remember this every time the government wants to hand out free stuff.

Subsidize -> Balloon -> Crash

The whole point is, when some people refuse to carry their weight and expect all kinds of help and we subsidize, it is not as simple as they are given money and everyone is happy. There are always unexpected consequences and all those subsidize do end up hurting other people. In your case the government subsidized education, that drove the cost of education up, now even the middle class has to take out a huge amount of debt to go to school and end up enslaved to their debt. This giving and giving has to stop, even though well intended it is hurting you.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm not talking about the ones who are content to sit at home and play 360 24-7. A lot of my peers have jobs but either hours are getting cut, being affected by the furlough, or are working unpaid internship after another, all trying to pay back student loans from colleges whose tuitions ballooned up from 2005 on.
I'm not trying to pick on you when I say this but those are things we've all dealt with at one time or another for a variety of reasons. That's an unfortunate part of being young.

The economy is cyclic. It always has been and it always will be. Up and down. The majority of people have all been there at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The thread started off with the OP (gen-xer) blaming the boomers. Oh I get it, you gen x-ers can point and blame and whine but don't dare tell the truth and point back.
Ahem. Because it needs to be said, the OP is Gen Y. Us Gen Xers have our flaws, but we are quite different than Gen Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
O MG, I would have been horrified. Parents calling my supervisor?
As would I. I didn't even like my parents calling my work place to ask me a question when I was in high school. If they called it now, to speak with my supervisor... I'd throw a fit that would be seen from outer space, if I didn't die of humiliation first.

A recent one: A Gen Yer was causing a few problems. 2 supervisors sat down to have a talk with them. The Gen Yer disagreed with everything they said and went up the food chain to complain that the supervisors were being mean and being critical of flaws they didn't have.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Then why such a high unemployment rate if there's an abundance of jobs?? Do you think everybody is just making things up?

I really don't understand your reasoning. And I'm not talking about myself personally looking for a job.
High unemployment rate?

Look at the number of jobs available in newspapers, craigslist, indeed...

Except for the overqualified employees no one else should have trouble.

Especially young people at the low end of the pay scale...

Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Belmont22 as this thread has shown the older adults have their heads in the sand, many do not want to change a thing even thought economic inequality has never been so wide between the rich and the poor. I think that they have forgotten what it's like to be young and want to change the world which clearly needs changing, they don't want to listen, they just want you to agree with them.

It's up to you and your fellow youths to get your heads together and decide on the way things should be in society which should be easier as you are the most interconnected generation ever. I really think there needs to be balance between liberal and conservative ideas because both sides are right in some ways. People need to work but at the same time they need to know that things are as fair as possible and that there's a safety net in case anything happens. I find that Norway has the best system for this.

Just remember when you're the baby boomers age to try to listen to your kids and realize that things will be different. Different things will need changing and new solutions not the same old thing.
One of the best post I've read in this thread.

As far as your recommendation, that is something I've been working on for the past 4 years. I think it might actually manifest this summer if I get a break from my other ventures.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
O.K. I get it now.

We collectively, as two generations, conspired to rape and pillage the coffers of your inheritance.

We now refuse to accept responsibility for the above and are collectively thumbing our noses at your terrible plight without a thought or a care.

We, moreover, like the Shylock in the Merchant of Venice are STILL attempting to bleed whatever we can from the dying corpses of our progeny.

That about right?
Wait until they get a load of the fallout from Obama.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What?

I've done dish washing as a chore for more than a decade now and washing dishes isn't that hard.
My point was that washing dishes is harder than sitting behind a computer listing something on Ebay. I didn't say it was the hardest job in the world, but it's a lot more manual labor than listing stuff on ebay and that he shouldn't complain about it.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
O.K. I get it now.

That about right?
Pretty much. I wouldn't so much say both generations. More so the Boomer generation.

And FWIW, my father and business partner both agree who are Boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies