Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

Popular folk-rock singer Michelle Shocked (I never heard of her) went on an anti-gay tirade at the begining of her second set in San Francisco. Concert goers first thought it was an Andy Kaufman type performance art but then realized she meant. Fans started filing out and the promoter cancelled the second set.

"The first set went great, from all accounts, even though Penfield thought it was odd when, at the start of the show, Shocked said she needed an on-stage tweeting volunteer and added, "Does anybody feel the invisible person in the room?"

"She started reading some tweets from the stream and having a dialogue about people's impressions, talking about how she was feeling brave at this point and that she was doing the right thing. Then the tone of the conversation became extremely religious and she began talking about the two things most important to her being Jesus Christ and freedom. Then she talked about how she had just come from a prayer meeting the night before, and the people in her prayer meeting were really worried because these are the end times, and they’re the end times because Prop. 8 is going to lead to ministers marrying gay people with a rifle to the head. At which people got a little riled up; then there started to be some call and response from the crowd about what she meant. She started exhorting the crowd very specifically to go ahead and tweet or write and say that Michelle Shocked says God hates f--s, and some other references to the Bible denouncing homosexuality as sinful and abhorrent.

Folk Legend Incites Mass Walkout With Anti-Gay Speech

https://twitter.com/mshocked
"Truth is leading to painful confrontation"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 03:56 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,409 times
I never heard of that "folk legend" either.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
She's also a self-identified left-leaning, born-again gospel singer, often mistaken for a lesbian because of how she looks.

Michelle Shocked Isn't A Lesbian, Loves God...Basically, This Is A Bible Girl Column. - Dallas - Music - DC9 At Night

Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
I never heard of that "folk legend" either.
She's been around awhile - I saw her in a small venue in the early 90s, pretty good show. Not exactly folk, kind of folk-crossover-whatever, but she's made some good listenable tunes over the years.

Actually, I had this vague idea she was a lesbian. Then again, maybe she is?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
She's also a self-identified left-leaning, born-again gospel singer, often mistaken for a lesbian because of how she looks.

Michelle Shocked Isn't A Lesbian, Loves God...Basically, This Is A Bible Girl Column. - Dallas - Music - DC9 At Night

Well, there you go.

Edit: But now I think about it, it wasn't her looks, because I could hardly see her on stage. I think I went to the show with a group of lesbians, who met another group of lesbians there, so I just assumed...y'know.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
She's been around awhile - I saw her in a small venue in the early 90s, pretty good show. Not exactly folk, kind of folk-crossover-whatever, but she's made some good listenable tunes over the years.

Actually, I had this vague idea she was a lesbian. Then again, maybe she is?
From that article I linked to:

Interviewer: "Early on in your career, you were incorrectly assumed to be a lesbian. You once said that you were an honorary lesbian. Now that you’ve been married, divorced and found religion, why do you think many who claim to be Christians are so openly hateful toward homosexuals?"

Shocked: "In his time, Jesus was hanging out with the prostitutes, the tax collectors, the lepers, all the people that proper society had banished or had determined were underclass. Today, it is easy for me to imagine that Jesus would hang around those who have been scorned, abandoned and neglected. We live in a homophobic society. But homosexuals are a group of folks who Jesus would recognize. Jesus even says that he didn’t come here to be righteous. He came here for those who needed salvation."

Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
She did perform at the Michigan Womyn's [sic] Music Festival once upon a time, but apparently she's gone hard-core Pentecostalist since then.

... and before the cons pile on with nonsensical "freedom of speech" frothing: (a) this was a private venue, and as such is fully entitled to decide what gets said onstage and by whom; and (b) what she did is absolutely no different from yelling the 'n' word at a theatre in Harlem.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Never heard of her but I'm glad there are people around who openly profess their discuss with the acceptance of perversion.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Her very presence on a stage, lecturing a crowd about "perversion," itself constitutes "perversion" according to some readings of the Bible.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
From that article I linked to:

Interviewer: "Early on in your career, you were incorrectly assumed to be a lesbian. You once said that you were an honorary lesbian. Now that you’ve been married, divorced and found religion, why do you think many who claim to be Christians are so openly hateful toward homosexuals?"

Shocked: "In his time, Jesus was hanging out with the prostitutes, the tax collectors, the lepers, all the people that proper society had banished or had determined were underclass. Today, it is easy for me to imagine that Jesus would hang around those who have been scorned, abandoned and neglected. We live in a homophobic society. But homosexuals are a group of folks who Jesus would recognize. Jesus even says that he didn’t come here to be righteous. He came here for those who needed salvation."

The difference is that the folks Jesus hung out knew they were doing wrong but often times were forced to do so based on life circumstances. The homosexual thinks what he/she is doing is right and makes no attempt to change due to their arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies