Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,393,480 times

Advertisements

Hispanic is what you get when you cross a Catholic with an Indian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,642,213 times
Lightbulb He's Latino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"When it comes to ethnicity, geography can be destiny. If Pope Francis' parents had immigrated to New York City instead of Buenos Aires, he would be seen as a white Italian-American. But until he makes a definitive statement, his identity will remain subject to debate."

New pope revives question: What is a 'Latino?'

Pope Francis IS "Hispanic" since he's from Argentina tho he'd be "anglo white" if born in the US.
If he lived in the US he'd be speaking English instead of Spanish and he'd be a football fan instead of a soccer fan.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,967,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory;28818074[B
]Actually, no.[/b] A Latino is someone who resides in Latin America. France, Spain and Italy are not Latin American countries.

You are correct about Hispanics being from Spanish ancestors. However, one may reside in Argentina but not be culturally or ethnically Hispanic. The Pope may be ethnically like his Italian parents rather than Hispanic as I don't think he has elaborated on that but he is a Latino geographically.
actually yes. dont read more than I stated. I put in very simple terms. sorry you did not understand.

please re-read my post and only read into it what I stated.

He was born in Argentina of italian decent...latino

Argentina is a Latin american conuntry with non hispanic and hispanics living there.

latin means from the "Latin" origin countries, not Itally, France, and Spain are latin american counties

I hate emotions but you deserve that one.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Hispanic is what you get when you cross a Catholic with an Indian
So what is a decendent of a jewish spaniard in the new world? Not all mestizos are of catholic/indian mix and not all hispanics are mestizos.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM

63,342 posts, read 29,409,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
actually yes. dont read more than I stated. I put in very simple terms. sorry you did not understand.

please re-read my post and only read into it what I stated.

He was born in Argentina of italian decent...latino

Argentina is a Latin american conuntry with non hispanic and hispanics living there.

latin means from the "Latin" origin countries, not Itally, France, and Spain are latin american counties

I hate emotions but you deserve that one.
You misunderstood what I wrote. I agreed with most of the above and reiterated as such.

I don't consider Italy, France or Spain as "Latin" origin countries, however.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You misunderstood what I wrote. I agreed with most of the above and reiterated as such.

They spoke latin prior to Spanish, french and Italian...they have always been considered latin origin countries...

Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,393,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
So what is a decendent of a jewish spaniard in the new world? Not all mestizos are of catholic/indian mix and not all hispanics are mestizos.
Spaniards aren't Hispanic, they are Herpanic, after their queen.

Isabelladonna.

Last edited by Nonarchist; 03-24-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,229,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese (along with a whole bunch of less frequently used languages) are all what are called "romance" languages, meaning that they evolved from vulgar Latin and have common Latin based language roots. They're structured in the same way that Latin is --very different from English in that they have things like noun genders, and very different tenses, punctuation and sentence structure than English, etc. That's what she was referring to. English is a Germanic based language instead, with some Latin based individual words.

A simple example--in English we say "the small house" In a romance language, it would be structured as "the house small."

Last edited by mb1547; 03-24-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,923,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, he counts as a hispanic/latino, but my reply was to the person who said he would be "white hispanic" if he had been born and raised in New York. It is not true. A person born and raised on Spain (europe) is not Hispanic/Latino either, because ONLY those who originate from central or south america can be hispanic/latino. Had the pope been born and raised in NY to the same parents, he would be "Italian American". Either way he is white. Being hispanic/latino is not a reference to race.
How is a person born and raised in Spain, or Espana, or Hispania not hispanic?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,629,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
How is a person born and raised in Spain, or Espana, or Hispania not hispanic?
Hispanic is a reference specific to the Americas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies