Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
So? It's exactly what you righties have been screaming about for years.

The boss gets massive, disproportionate compensation and benefits. Just like any business. That's how you want government to be run, right? Like a business -- because, you know, it's so much more efficient and effective. And you worship at the feet of other CEOs who make more in 10 minutes than his/her employees make in a week ...

Sounds perfect to me. A conservative's dream.
The county's budget is around 2.5billion and they have 8k or so employees.
Citigroup (for example) has revenues about 40x higher and about 35x more employees.

Citigroup CEO pay is about 25x higher than this persons.

Hopefully you learned something here.

P.S. The county voted 80% for Obama in the last election and Obama's cabinet and contributors are full of CEO's and wallstreet types. Not sure how you reconcile the fact that "your people" are just as in bed with the corporations as those "evil cons". Too partisan to see the truth eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Since when? Recent history is littered with examples of CEOs getting lavish "golden parachute" payouts despite poor performance.
Yeah, and every time a liberal brings that up, the conservatives on this board scream "You're greedy [because you don't want someone else to make obscene amounts of money for doing nothing]! Or, "You probably don't have a job and you're a leech/taker/freeloader!"

Seriously, do you guys hear yourselves?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Since when? Recent history is littered with examples of CEOs getting lavish "golden parachute" payouts despite poor performance.
Golden parachutes are done deals before they even step onboard to take office.
They were done back in the day when companies were floundering and no one wanted to take on the position of CEO. It was done as incentive to try to turn a bad company around. It's also done to hedge a buyout and release of that CEO by the buying company.

Lou Gerstner is one such CEO that took on floundering companies and turned them around.

That is a golden parachute.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Yeah, and every time a liberal brings that up, the conservatives on this board scream "You're greedy [because you don't want someone else to make obscene amounts of money for doing nothing]! Or, "You probably don't have a job and you're a leech/taker/freeloader!"

Seriously, do you guys hear yourselves?
1. Who pays the CEO salary?
2. Who pays this public administrator's salary?

Thanks for coming out. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The county's budget is around 2.5billion and they have 8k or so employees.
Citigroup (for example) has revenues about 40x higher and about 35x more employees.

Citigroup CEO pay is about 25x higher than this persons.

Hopefully you learned something here.

P.S. The county voted 80% for Obama in the last election and Obama's cabinet and contributors are full of CEO's and wallstreet types. Not sure how you reconcile the fact that "your people" are just as in bed with the corporations as those "evil cons". Too partisan to see the truth eh?
Oh please. Of course Obama's in bed with them. Where did I say he wasn't? (Again ... I'll wait while you re-read my post.)

I'm just having some fun pointing out the faux outrage and hysterically funny hypocrisy of the right on the subject of "Government should be run like a business." Well, these days, businesses pay their CEOs obscene salaries that are completely out of whack with performance. Conservatives should just deal with that fact and not try to pretend they're opposed to it because it's California.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
No. Kidding.

That's what we liberals have been saying for years. Y'all are only now just getting it?

No. Kidding.

Oh, I see. You pick and choose which parts of Holy Capitalismâ„¢ apply to your theory when it suits you. Got it.
I'm not in that camp and don't know why everyone has to label people as one or the other.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
1. Who pays the CEO salary?
2. Who pays this public administrator's salary?

Thanks for coming out. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.
Exactly.

Man, you didn't even notice when your hypocrisy was showing ... and now you're doubling down on it. Will you be here all week?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM

LOL..faux outrage ? I have no outrage at all. If CA wants to pay their administrators half a million per year for life that is CA's doing and they will have to find the money somewhere to pay them.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Man, you didn't even notice when your hypocrisy was showing ... and now you're doubling down on it. Will you be here all week?
Sense. You're not making any.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm not in that camp and don't know why everyone has to label people as one or the other.
Primarily because I was essentially being labeled even though I never said a word about the county being Democratic (you brought up that topic) or that Obama's in bed with Wall Street (Mathguy introduced that topic).

Assumptions, assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies