Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

My prediction is they dismiss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-changing.html

Quote:
It’s also possible, of course, that the Supreme Court decision could somehow kick-start public support for same-sex marriage, causing it to accelerate faster, or that the recent spate of Democratic and Republican politicians coming out in favor of it could do so. But one no longer needs to make optimistic assumptions to conclude that same-sex marriage supporters will probably soon constitute a national majority. Instead, it’s the steadiness of the trend that makes same-sex marriage virtually unique among all major public policy issues, and which might give its supporters more confidence that the numbers will continue to break their way regardless of what the Supreme Court decides.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
There are 2 cases: the California Prop 8 case, and the DOMA case.

My gut feeling is that they will dismiss the Prop 8 case, thus allowing the Ninth Circuit ruling (which overturned Prop 8) to stand, but uphold DOMA.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

My gut feeling is that they will dismiss the Prop 8 case, thus allowing the Ninth Circuit ruling (which overturned Prop 8) to stand, but uphold DOMA.
Are you saying that because one is an outright denial of allowing X group to have access to Y benefits, whereas the other is merely a "recognition?"

Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

Why would they do that? DOMA is clearly unconstitutional.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Then so is the tax code.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
My prediction is they dismiss it.
After the Obamacare fiasco, who knows what will happen.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,585 times
IMHO, both DOMA and Prop 8 are very clearly unconstitutional. I think they will for sure strike them both down one way or another.

As for DOMA, I think they'll just strike it down outright.

The Prop 8 ruling will be more tricky in the sense that it depends on how far they will go. To clarify, it depends on whether they will let the ruling only apply to California or whether they will declare that all bans on same-sex marriage are unconstitutional (which would essentially make it legal all over the country).

I really, really hope the latter one will prevail, but that might be a bit too optimistic.

Same-sex marriage should absolutely be legal in this country. To quote myself from another post:

1) It's the right thing to do. Both morally and also because it's not constitutional for same-sex marriage to be illegal anyways.

2) It would just make the inevitable happen now.

3) We could put this issue behind us and out of the political spectrum.

And

4) It would be so much fun to watch all the hard-core right wing nutjobs' heads explode simultaneously (especially here on C-D).

Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Are you saying that because one is an outright denial of allowing X group to have access to Y benefits, whereas the other is merely a "recognition?"
Article IV of the constitution says:Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

It says that congress may regulate the manner in which those things shall be proved and the effect thereof, but it does not say congress may nullify them. So if you are married in one state and then move to another state, then the new state may subject you to whatever their particular laws are regarding marriage. But they may not simply declare that you aren't married.

Recognition in this case isn't "merely recognition" it is a contract. It's a contract that you can't break just by moving across state lines. DOMA should be struck down.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If it was that clear, would it be in the Supreme Court right now? I think they'll uphold DOMA, and send Prop 8 back to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies