Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so basically, even though the other guy has proof to back him up, you are still denying what he said without proof to back yourself up ?
He doesn't have anymore proof than I do.

we just have different sources that say different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,998,309 times
Yes I'm sure all kinds of republicans tell you everything they do.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Walmart caters to low income shoppers while Target and Costco cater to more affluent shoppers.

I've said this before..Walmart is the bellwether for the lowest paid workers in society.
And last year Walmart started losing sales while the others didn't. Walmart is still struggling with sales.

It's more than simple "empty shelves". Walmart accounts for 10% of US spending in retail sales.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
He doesn't have anymore proof than I do.

we just have different sources that say different things.
You have not given your source though. I have seen you hound people for an entire page just to post a source, you seen to not hold yourself to the same standard.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Here's a link that shows Walmart is doing pretty well. Especially Sam's Club.

Sorry 'bout your luck liberals. Walmart aint going anywhere.

Walmart profit up in second quarter of fiscal 2012 - Retail News Breaks - Front Page - Mass Market Retailers :: The Global Newspaper For Supermarket, Drug, Discount Chains

Wal-Mart's Profits Up on Christmas Sales - HispanicBusiness.com

"Discount retailer Wal-Mart on Thursday reported a fourth-quarter profit of 5.6 billion dollars, an increase of 7.9 per cent over the same period a year ago. "
Its their FIRE sector operations no doubt. The actual retail business is what falls first. Its the Sears pattern.

Wal-Mart Cuts Taxes By Paying Rent to Itself - WSJ.com

GM lived on GMAC

GE is a financial company that makes jet engines. GE capital.

McDonalds

McDonalds Is a Real Estate Company - Seeking Alpha

Sears spun off Discover, Allstate, sold credit to CITI and is not selling off its real estate while dying in real tail.

All companies that do not go into FIRE sector eventually go out of business.

Disney had to set up in Florida in secret. So it captures its own rents. Disney is a real estate company.

Only one can win in competitive markets. So to survive your need FIRE sector moats.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM

29,820 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
GM and Chrysler didn't adapt, they were bailed out with taxpayer dollars and are reporting "record profits" while not paying taxes.
While I don't know about their tax situation, many U.S. corporation are not paying taxes. General electric for one.

GM and Chrysler are adapting. Laid off masses of workers and replaced them with automated processes and robotics. Such massive investment also happens to be a capital investment, which helps during tax season.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
If you walk into a walmart in the middle of the day, only 4 registers are open.

That alone could make many people not shop there because you could spend more time in a line than you did shopping.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,998,309 times
My Walmart has 8 self checkout registers. I guess liberals can't figure out how to swipe the things on their own. Oh well.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
While I don't know about their tax situation, many U.S. corporation are not paying taxes. General electric for one.

GM and Chrysler are adapting. Laid off masses of workers and replaced them with automated processes and robotics. Such massive investment also happens to be a capital investment, which helps during tax season.

The reason why we have high corporate taxes is to encourage tax deductible debt financing. The company takes on debt which is tax deductible and then buys back its shares. This sends the value tax free to stock holder by reducing float and instead of sending taxes goes to Wall Street. That was Romney's entire business model, debt financing that is for cash flow and tax deductions.

It's Time to Stop Favoring Debt Over Equity - Businessweek

Another problem is companies with equity are debt leveraged take over targets. Companies will even take on debt to prevent it so it goes into debt either way. This makes the company vulnerable to shocks while revenue goes to bankers instead of government. Sam Zell debt leveraged into the Tribune and then tried to force bankruptcy to clear the pension liability. A nice fat check for banks again.

Sam Zell Blames Tribune Failure on 'Greedy' Journalists. - Forbes
A little reality check is in order here. First, the Tribune’s way of business didn’t need to be modified for it to be profitable, strictly speaking. It was profitable at the time he bought it, albeit decreasingly so. The need to service the more than $13 billion of debt* he piled on the company in taking it over had more to do with its abrupt descent into bankruptcy, just one year later, than did its slimming margins.
We end up with debt ridden companies , falling tax revenue and fat bankers.

Finance must be stopped but I doubt they will be. Too many people on the take now.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My Walmart has 8 self checkout registers. I guess liberals can't figure out how to swipe the things on their own. Oh well.

I purposely avoid the self checkout in any store. I want to promote jobs and hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies