Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Thanks for that, I knew someone would come clean eventually.

Guess that's why the GOP is changing, or trying to change their views on many social issues. Recognition of faults is the first step toward appealing to American voters.
So that isn't an unfair attack on the entire GOP? You're as despicable as the one who posted that crap then if you agree with that hater. Why should they change their views on social issues? They'd just be Democrats then. A one party sytem with no choices but for liberal lefties to pick from. Is that what you want? Oh that's right with the far left it is my way or the highway and to hell with anyone else, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's the difference? She has said that conservatives hate everyone along with this. Sounds like she'd like to have conservatives eradicated from our country. Quote same person:

"conservatives hate poor people. Hate single moms. Hate black people, mexicans, muslims, etc. conservatives give to charitable organizations that will help people that look like them"
First I am a man, not that it matters, and secondly conservatives do hate those groups of people without question, and conservatives know they do. No reason to lie, but I would never say eradicate or quarantine conservatives.

Also, conservatives generally love white people, rich people, rich white people, married white people, rich white married people, religious white people, rich white married religious white people, those people make up a huge percentage of the population, and the conservative party loves them, every policy is for them.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's the difference? She has said that conservatives hate everyone along with this. Sounds like she'd like to have conservatives eradicated from our country. Quote same person:

"conservatives hate poor people. Hate single moms. Hate black people, mexicans, muslims, etc. conservatives give to charitable organizations that will help people that look like them"
I'm sorry - but that IS the perception of the Republican party. It's namely why your leaders are so busy trying to figure out how to change their 'brand'.

Hint - you aren't helping.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I did not say anything about the skill of the job." The skill or lack thereof was the topic as related to garbage men.

Garbage collecting IS unskilled. Like I said, what great skill does it take to pick up a trash can and empty it?
Skilled or not it`s not an easy day`s work but anyone who shows up every day and does the job deserves a decent wage. He`s probably contributing more to society than someone in their cubicle drinking coffee and checking facebook. Why is it that people have no respect for hard work anymore?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It's clear to me now that this board is infested with people who hate workers, hate the fact that some people work for a wage and think those that work for a small salary are either losers, moochers or both...
So what is going on here?
Right wing by definition is pro-wealthy/influential.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm sorry - but that IS the perception of the Republican party. It's namely why your leaders are so busy trying to figure out how to change their 'brand'.

Hint - you aren't helping.
Perception? No it's just a smear campaign by the left to keep their voters in their ranks. Just like most politicians some in the GOP are willing to sacrifice their principles for votes and power. Thank God, there are still some who won't to that. I'm not helping? How so? Contrary to lies by the far left liberals I don't hate blacks, minorities or any of the other false claims they make nor do most conservatives.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Skilled or not it`s not an easy day`s work but anyone who shows up every day and does the job deserves a decent wage. He`s probably contributing more to society than someone in their cubicle drinking coffee and checking facebook. Why is it that people have no respect for hard work anymore?
Sometimes I think I would prefer to be a garbage collector. I hate being stuck at a desk staring at a computer all day. Not only is it a yawn but you're stuck inside a cubicle w/recycled air, you have coworkers around you that you can't stand but you can't get away from them, there's nothing physically demanding in my job & your a*s seriously gets bigger, lol.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You people are really missing the point of what I was trying to say. We can argue over whether or not licenses should be necessary. We can argue over whether or not licenses improve general quality of life. Whether or not the car insurance mandate is good for society. That is not the argument I'm trying to make.

I'm simply trying to say, when we look at why certain people make more money than others. Most of the blame is government intervention. The simple reality is that, in the absence of licensing, the average wage of every single profession would plummet. In the absence of government subsidies and regulations, most unions would cease to exist.

In my opinion, regulation hurts the poor and helps the middle and upper classes. Even the regulations that are supposedly designed to help the poor, like building codes, invariably hurt the poor by driving up the cost of housing. The minimum wage invariably hurts the poor, by keeping many of them unemployed.

If you really wanted to help the poor, you would actually be pushing for less government, not more government. If you want to help the wealthier classes, then push for more regulation. Regulation is what keeps big business in business.

What I'm saying is, I'm on the side of the poor, you're not.
I'm sorry, but rubbish. Building codes exist for everyone's benefit, not just the poor's. And before you refute that, my husband has worked with Section 8 landlords who would screw the building code 6 ways to Sunday if they could possibly get away with it (and frequently try).

And there's no point being "employed" if you make 1.50 an hour, 12 hours a day. What point is there allowing wages that only drive the workers deep into a poverty cycle? Why do we end up paying for food stamps and whatnot to working people who simply are not getting paid enough while the people they work for pocket the difference?

If you are a business and you can't afford to pay a full time worker enough money for their time that they're self sufficient, and the rest of society has to pick up the tab - then you, as a business, are living beyond your means and your profits are only able because we exist to subsidize your employees.

You need to look at the history of factory labor in this country to understand why regulation is needed, and you only need to look at modern industrialized but unregulated countries to see why we don't want to go there.

There are companies that spend good money on and respect all levels of employees and do very well. It's not a bad thing for business to do at all, if you're smart about it. Valuing all your workforce will get you further than treating them like some kind of burdensome necessary evil.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The fact of the matter is that even some the guys who do empty trash cans are semi skilled laborers. These menial laborers people talk about are also mechanics, they help maintain the equipment, and that takes some knowledge and skills too. People also believe truck drivers or truckers are unskilled labor too, and that's simply not true either.

I'd call waiting on customers at drive through windows and fast food preps is unskilled labor.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
The fact of the matter is that even some the guys who do empty trash cans are semi skilled laborers. These menial laborers people talk about are also mechanics, they help maintain the equipment, and that takes some knowledge and skills too. People also believe truck drivers or truckers are unskilled labor too, and that's simply not true either.

I'd call waiting on customers at drive through windows and fast food preps is unskilled labor.
Even then, they're the face of your business. Screw them over at your peril. (Not you personally, NoJiveMan. Them. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies