Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

Laser Weapon System (LaWS): New Navy Super Weapon a Military "Game Changer"

The Navy released a video of a ship-mounted laser shooting down a drone (see above link). The US MIC moves forward with development of 'directed energy' weapons, which shoot energy, such as light, sound, or microwaves, rather than lumps of metal. A writer named Jack Satterfield compares it to the adoption of firearms in the 17th century:

Tactical-Life.com » BOEING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satterfield
Directed energy is to current weapon systems as current weapon systems are to edged weapons. Present-day weapons are often collectively described as “kinetic” because they rely on the striking power of projectiles to destroy targets and utilize operating concepts that are completely distinct from that of directed energy, which involves no projected mass but only energy
Michael Rinn, head of Boeing Directed Energy Systems (DES) in New Mexico notes that their lasers have a shorter "logistical tail" than current weapons systems. Their shots travel at the speed of light, and they don't run out of ammunition. Both development and operational costs are lower, according to Rinn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinn
Our biggest hurdle is educating the warfighter about directed energy, understanding the power of an invisible tiny spot of energy moving at speed of light, and learning how to use it is a paradigm shift in how we fight.
Here's a youtube of the HEL MD truck that Boeing DES has been working on. It is expected to be ready for production around 2015.

8-Wheel Military Truck With Laser in the Works - YouTube

In a time of an expanding "terrorism bubble" (as Thomas Friedman put it), and ongoing economic crises in the West, the US MIC continues to offer these kinds of 'feel good' news stories to reassure us, and brighten up our day. We might need our military superiority as we move forward. Or more hopefully, as Rush Limbaugh used to say, you build some weapons systems so that you don't have to use them.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
"you build some weapons systems so that you don't have to use them."

That is something the "cut the military spending" club doesn't understand. Or the fact that we come up with the latest and greatest then it's stolen and handed to China and the like so we have to stay one step ahead. Our stealth chopper that went down in the bin hinden "raid" is a good example of why we now will have to come up with something better because they will know how to take that bugger out now.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
There are problems with laser weapons though. They continue on and blast through everything in their path even after hitting the target.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Ok, the amo would be unlimited, per the video..

Will these be on the assault weapons band list?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Hey, we could install these on the border, with sensors to detect movement, and see how many aliens we catch..

Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There are problems with laser weapons though. They continue on and blast through everything in their path even after hitting the target.
And that's not good. It's gonna be a while before all the kinks are worked out. But, it's inevitable, I think.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
forget my neutered semi-auto AR-15, I want my freaking laser beam. Pass on the sharks though.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And that's not good. It's gonna be a while before all the kinks are worked out. But, it's inevitable, I think.
If thats true, can they just fire it once, and bounce it off a mirror so it bounces back and forth and pretty much makes a wall?

I would assume at some point the power would deteriorate, even if its due to dust particals in the air

Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"you build some weapons systems so that you don't have to use them."

That is something the "cut the military spending" club doesn't understand. Or the fact that we come up with the latest and greatest then it's stolen and handed to China and the like so we have to stay one step ahead. Our stealth chopper that went down in the bin hinden "raid" is a good example of why we now will have to come up with something better because they will know how to take that bugger out now.
I'm a member of the "cut the military spending" club...a proud member in fact.

I'm not against all military spending. Hell, i work for the military and make a good living doing it. But i don't buy the notion that we need to drop 700 billion a year on defense. Sorry, but that sh*t doesn't make any sense. A great general named Eisenhower agreed with me, and did so at the height of the Cold War.

Well, there is no more Cold War, but we're spending money as if there are 3 Cold Wars. If spending on entitlements is unsustainable, then so is large scale defense spending.

We should be spending half of what we're presently spending. At least back to 2001 levels. 700 billion is asenine. And spending billions to defend wealthy nations that can afford their own defense is stupid. We're being played for fools, and people like yourself seem to enjoy it.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Yes, billions spent on a laser weapon, while deadly diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, HIV continue to decimate humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies