Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The 50s was not a good time for Blacks in general, north or south.

I knew that ethnic minorities in Japan were discriminated against. I didn't know women didn't have full citizenship privileges. I know that the burakumin are often regarded poorly, even if they are of the same ethnicity as ethnic Japanese.
Japanese women are full citizens, but they are definitely still second-class citizens in terms of gender equity. You see very few women in corporate boardrooms, academia, the military, government, cultural institutions (women are not allowed in the Grand Sumo ring, for instance). Even college graduates are still expected to give up their careers and raise children when they get married.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Japanese women are full citizens, but they are definitely still second-class citizens in terms of gender equity. You see very few women in corporate boardrooms, academia, the military, government, cultural institutions (women are not allowed in the Grand Sumo ring, for instance). Even college graduates are still expected to give up their careers and raise children when they get married.
You've cleared up that Japanese women are full citizens. Thank you for clearing that up.

I have heard of the "office flower" phenomenon in Japan. from what I've learned that seems to be a major role for women in Japan working for corporations. The "office lady" as many people think of here in the USA. I guess it isn't surprising that the marriage rate in Japan is dropping. Perhaps more women are choosing to pursue their careers rather than to put up with the "know your place" role.

This does show that in Japan, men have more privilege than women, and that here in the USA, White privilege has taken place and still does in some ways. If a person is being discriminated against while someone else isn't based on some parameter(race, gender,etc), then one person doesn't have the privilege while the other person has more privilege over the person being discriminated against.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I wasn't around then, but I know for a fact that my family is far, far richer today than they were in the 1950s. I couldn't even begin to compare these two time periods.

Today, I own a single family home and 3 cars, have a music studio and home theater and regularly travel to places like London, Paris, Rome and Dubai from the United States like it's nothing. If I could go back in time and tell my then-living grandfather that I live like this, he would immediately tell me to stop daydreaming and get back to reality. lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I wasn't around then, but I know for a fact that my family is far, far richer today than they were in the 1950s. I couldn't even begin to compare these two time periods.

Today, I own a single family home and 3 cars, have a music studio and home theater and regularly travel to places like London, Paris, Rome and Dubai from the United States like it's nothing. If I could go back in time and tell my then-living grandfather that I live like this, he would immediately tell me to stop daydreaming and get back to reality. lol.
Is that really what it's all about? More STUFF?

That doesn't seem to be very meaningful.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I don't think I would have been as free in the 1950s as I am now.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
We were better back then.

Children played outside and in the streets.

People didn't lock doors.

Mothers stayed home to care for their kids instead of farming them out to daycare centers. Babysitters were for rare events out.

Meals were eaten as a family.

School was for learning, not indoctrination.

When parents disciplined their kids, the kids didn't talk back or ignore them.

And so forth.................
I agree. It was Viet Nam and the progressive hippies (now running every aspect of government and school administration) who learned from protesting that they could change America from the inside. Everything has gone downhill because of their social engineering bender.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Is that really what it's all about? More STUFF?

That doesn't seem to be very meaningful.
When your entire family comes from a 3rd world country that was colonized by foreign powers going back centuries, then STUFF is about the best yardstick you can use for comparison purposes.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When your entire family comes from a 3rd world country that was colonized by foreign powers going back centuries, then STUFF is about the best yardstick you can use for comparison purposes.
All of our ancestors came from war-torn 3rd world dumps originally. That's why we're all here.

But hey...you're allowed to use whatevet measuring stick you prefer. If its stuff, then stuff it is!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All of our ancestors came from war-torn 3rd world dumps originally. That's why we're all here.
But for most people, it wasn't as recently as 40-50 years ago. The difference is unimaginable for those who haven't experienced it.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
I find it funny that O'reilly wasn't even talking about race but it seems the left made this thread about race lol.

Speaks volumes...the left seems to be the real racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies