Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
mexicans can visit cuba but honestly i've never been. just doesn't interest me a whole lot, doesn't seem like major savings over other caribbean destinations like DR either. maybe i'll go one day i dunno.
Yes, it is major savings. I have friends who go when they have a four-day weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
You can sum it up in one word, Democracy. See, there is a coalition that keeps the palms greased of our so called leaders to keep the embargo intact. To get it over turned a larger coalition will have to be formed to grease the palms of our so called leaders. You have to pay to play it is that simple.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:27 PM

136 posts, read 224,829 times
There is a simple answer to why Cuba is treated differently. The Monroe Doctrine. It has become quasi-official policy that anything less that capitalism and democracy in the Western Hemisphere is a danger to the US and will not be tolerated. I know I will get Sh*t for this but teller amendment should have never been passed.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
There is a simple answer to why Cuba is treated differently. The Monroe Doctrine. It has become quasi-official policy that anything less that capitalism and democracy in the Western Hemisphere is a danger to the US and will not be tolerated. I know I will get Sh*t for this but teller amendment should have never been passed.
The world has changed a bit since the Monroe Doctrine, where is the danger from Cuba?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Im not so sure about that

I recently read a natl geo article saying that the Cuban government operates with two different currencies. One for the wealthy tourists and one for the poor citizens. As far as your original question I'd go along with Sen Rubio, why give dollars in support of a government thats persecuted you or your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh lemme tell ya...it's a LOT cheaper once you're in country.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:49 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
The people who want the idiotic embargo enforced scream a lot louder than those who would like it to be lifted, basically. Far more people oppose it than support it, but the opposition is much more casual, compared to the small hardcore of Cold War "dead-enders" who support the current policy.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Im not so sure about that

I recently read a natl geo article saying that the Cuban government operates with two different currencies. One for the wealthy tourists and one for the poor citizens. As far as your original question I'd go along with Sen Rubio, why give dollars in support of a government thats persecuted you or your family.
The Cuban government never persecuted me or my family.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh lemme tell ya...it's a LOT cheaper once you're in country.
Since the embargo is mostly just the US, I have a hard time blaming Cuba's economic woes on that.

In fact, if you look at all the reforms Raul etc. are trying to institute it's pretty clear that they realize their own policies are the biggest problem.

If FL weren't a pivotal swing state this whole thing would have glossed over long ago....and Cuba would still be a wreck.

When doctors work as cab drivers to make "real money" you have some major major economic problems.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Since the embargo is mostly just the US, I have a hard time blaming Cuba's economic woes on that.

In fact, if you look at all the reforms Raul etc. are trying to institute it's pretty clear that they realize their own policies are the biggest problem.

If FL weren't a pivotal swing state this whole thing would have glossed over long ago....and Cuba would still be a wreck.

When doctors work as cab drivers to make "real money" you have some major major economic problems.
Ok.

But i never blamed anyone for Cuba's economic woes. I'm really not even interested in that.

All i wanna know is why Cuba should be treated differently than Vietnam or China. That's all.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I'm wondering why Jay-Z and Beyonce are treated different than the rest of us.
Because.....they are....CELEBRITIES. tah dah....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies