Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Seriously? Do you honestly believe that? I am gonna call BS on your post, WE are all apart of a community unless you live in a very isolated part of the world with no connection to anyone else. You guys are seriously digging too deep into a very pointless non-issue.

It is amazing how paranoid you people are at the mention of "community." You must be terrified of your local community center.
Read her words..children "belong" to the parents in the privacy of their homes.

If you insist on "teaching" them then you also have to take responsibility for what they do while they are in YOUR community.

All or none..can't cherry pick what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

315 posts, read 256,088 times
Quote:
Seriously? Do you honestly believe that? I am gonna call BS on your post, WE are all apart of a community unless you live in a very isolated part of the world with no connection to anyone else. You guys are seriously digging too deep into a very pointless non-issue.

It is amazing how paranoid you people are at the mention of "community." You must be terrified of your local community center.
Yes we are part of a community but that community takes very fourth or fifth place over parents and family and others. What you are referring to is some Kumbaya commune. Sorry you can't double talk MHPs way out of this. She put her size 12 feet in her mouth and is now chewing on the toe nails.

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:

So if a community fails a kid it's responsible and may suffer consequences?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So communities are responsible for what the kids do not their respective parents since they don't belong to them?
It's a simple and very beautiful way to express the joy that comes from raising children and letting them expand their minds without "cluttering" them first with our own insecurities and fears...I like it...I feel that communities ARE responsible (to a great degree) because the children school in those communities, and the public institution of school DOES have our children for a large portion of their lives from 5 years to 18 years.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Read her words..children "belong" to the parents in the privacy of their homes.

If you insist on "teaching" them then you also have to take responsibility for what they do while they are in YOUR community.

All or none..can't cherry pick what you want.
And you can pretend to hear what you want to hear....clearly you think you have found something that fits your message on what was said and it is obviously important to you. So you believe whatever you want.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:42 PM

Her words are:

“This is about whether we as a society, expressing our collective will through our public institutions, including our government, have a right to impinge on individual freedoms in order to advance a common good. And that is exactly the fight that we have been having for a couple hundred years,” she said.

And my response is "No lady, you don't have any rights to impinge on my individual freedoms."

Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
This whole issue makes me feel like an idiot because I do not understand what all the fuss is about.

I read The Prophet in 1974. It helped my understanding of many life struggles. Gibran was all the rage way before then. The book was given to me by a Jewish friend. She later discovered he was supposedly an anti- Semite.

If my children belong to me to care for and educate, why the hell are my school taxes 4000 a year? I have had no kids in public school for 25 years. So I have paid at least 100 grand schooling somebody else's property.

And another thing. If we value our right to speak our minds, why are we afraid of what someone else said?

I voted for Barry Goldwater. My daughter's first grade teacher told the class that if Lyndon was not elected the world would come to an end or some such drivel. It was an opportunity for me to teach the kid different well intentioned people have different opinions. It made for lively dinner conversation for a couple of days. Teaching the children how to survive in a complicated and conflicting world is a parent's job. What are y'all so afraid of?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Her words are:

“This is about whether we as a society, expressing our collective will through our public institutions, including our government, have a right to impinge on individual freedoms in order to advance a common good. And that is exactly the fight that we have been having for a couple hundred years,” she said.

And my response is "No lady, you don't have any rights to impinge on my individual freedoms."
She isn't saying she wants to impinge on your individual freedoms in that statement, but clearly you seem to think she is, so obviously you aren't going to see that statement any other way.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This whole issue makes me feel like an idiot because I do not understand what all the fuss is about.

I read The Prophet in 1974. It helped my understanding of many life struggles. Gibran was all the rage way before then. The book was given to me by a Jewish friend. She later discovered he was supposedly an anti- Semite.

If my children belong to me to care for and educate, why the hell are my school taxes 4000 a year? I have had no kids in public school for 25 years. So I have paid at least 100 grand schooling somebody else's property.

And another thing. If we value our right to speak our minds, why are we afraid of what someone else said?

I voted for Barry Goldwater. My daughter's first grade teacher told the class that if Lyndon was not elected the world would come to an end or some such drivel. It was an opportunity for me to teach the kid different well intentioned people have different opinions. It made for lively dinner conversation for a couple of days. Teaching the children how to survive in a complicated and conflicting world is a parent's job. What are y'all so afraid of?
Because you have more and more parents NOT doing that today.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Parents who do not teach their children are leaving it to the rest of us who are wiling to do it.

I've been doing my part or 50 years. My community is the church, the neighborhood, the scouts, the PTA, little league ball, band parents, foster parents, yada, yada yada.

The kids who are raising each other are not learning how to survive in this world. They and their parents don't vote.

I am happy to make decisions for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies