Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's my understanding that there's no law that says you HAVE to show ID. What I am told is that if you don't it could take a while to be allowed to pass on to the gate.
They sure make it sound like it's absolutely required but it's not.
He had to show everything else in his wallet (credit cards, etc) and got grilled for a few minutes, and they let him on.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,128,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Good point, and I have zero idea how green cards work.
Green Cards, Visas etc are the same as passports, they get swiped at the counter. They have biometrical technology.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would think that extra scrutiny would have been given if one is flying to a questionable country.
ID, passport, ticket. With the technology and what the government records (the FBI combed through his phone, text, emails) that they didn't record this info and see that the 3 items didn't match ?

Is foreign travel that lax over domestic ?

*reaches for tin foil hat

I call BS that there was a misspelling that lets the FBI off the hook.
Foreign travel is IMO more scrutinized, but I haven't travel no any non-western country so IDK

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's hit or miss.

My Husband got to the airport and forgot his picture ID. We thought we were screwed and they let him on the plane with no picture ID.
We went to Rockport TX (coast) in November and went to Walmart for one day fishing permits.
That's when my son found out he lost his ID.
Walmart refused to give him a permit without a picture ID.

Are we living in bizarro world or what here ?

10,942 posts, read 10,267,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
G) I don't think you know that pressure cookers come in various sizes.
Right.

A 6-quart pressure cooker isn't all that big; I looked up the dimensions on Amazon and a 6-quart cooker is 15.9 x 10.5 x 9 inches and weighs 7.5 pounds.

No problem getting one of those into a backpack.

10,092 posts, read 8,215,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
same with cruises. I have seen people not allowed to get into a cruise due to misspellings. Weird.
I have no idea if this is the case or not, but if the misspelling showed up in the system as someone with a very similar name who wasn't on a watch list, then that might have been where the disconnect came in, but I admit I'm guessing. We travel every couple of years out of country and they always check our passports.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would think that extra scrutiny would have been given if one is flying to a questionable country.
ID, passport, ticket. With the technology and what the government records (the FBI combed through his phone, text, emails) that they didn't record this info and see that the 3 items didn't match ?

Is foreign travel that lax over domestic ?

*reaches for tin foil hat

I call BS that there was a misspelling that lets the FBI off the hook.
More believable that the FBI decided their information was proprietary and wouldn't share it with customs.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I have no idea if this is the case or not, but if the misspelling showed up in the system as someone with a very similar name who wasn't on a watch list, then that might have been where the disconnect came in, but I admit I'm guessing. We travel every couple of years out of country and they always check our passports.
I don't think he was on a watch list, because when you come back they don't type your name, they swipe your passport (with a visa) or your green card

Something is wrong with the typo theory. eta: Also, green card holders AFAIK get fingerprinted at the Immigration Counter to see if it is the same person. Something is fishy with that story.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,267,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

I was also surprised when I heard on TV "most won't know what a pressure cooker is,
it is something our grandmothers used....
Pressure cookers have made a come back IMO.
I have one and use it for no fail stews and such. So many sizes, manual & electric.
LOL

I suspect there are several posters here who were pretty unfamiliar with them up until a week ago.

I have one, too - they're great for tough cuts of meat.

I haven't used mine lately because I need to replace the gasket and haven't gotten around to it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,833,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
this is a good question

Why is Boston 'terrorism' but not Aurora, Sandy Hook, Tucson and Columbine | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Why is Boston 'terrorism' but not Aurora, Sandy Hook, Tucson and Columbine?
It's a straw man stance not to include the above as acts of terrorism. You can't keep deflecting the blame over the waters towards the Muslims...American has not addressed internal problems. The Muslim thing is starting to remind me of what the Nazis did in Germany..They deflected blame away from themselves and laid it on the Jews...The Muslims are becoming the new Jews and America with their military style lock UP of Boston is starting to remind me of Germany...Don't look for scapegoats...if you have a personal problem with domestic issues of civilian mayhem...address them realistically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies