Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times

Advertisements

Report first, correct second.

I can tell you that if I'd been walking around the Boston Marathon with a backpack and somebody started posting pictures of me up speculating if I was the bomber.....I'd be consulting a litigation attorney.

At least the media didn't "Richard Jewell" somebody this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Report first, correct second.

I can tell you that if I'd been walking around the Boston Marathon with a backpack and somebody started posting pictures of me up speculating if I was the bomber.....I'd be consulting a litigation attorney.

At least the media didn't "Richard Jewell" somebody this time.
Wasn't it Murdock's magizine (The New York Post) that posted pictures of the wrong people as suspects on the front cover?

Quote:
. No one can revoke their journalistic licenses for their most heinous act of last week — publishing a cover photo of two guys at the marathon under the headline “Bag Men: Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...new-york-post/

Last edited by jojajn; 04-23-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,592,265 times
I switched back and forth between CNN and FOX leading up to the moments the suspect was captured.

CNN repeatedly reported incorrect information such as saying LE had the suspect cornered in a garage and falsities. FOX reported exactly what was happening correctly and I also noticed FOX was very careful with their wording - as in, "we think, we have heard, it is being reported." CNN, not so much.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,882,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I didn't realize that CNN is considered a conservative news outlet.
No, they don't know who they are, which is why his segment was funny. But his typical schtick is having his staff cherry-pick one-liners to bash conservatives - but that doesn't mean he limits his content to bashing conservatives only (duh).

Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Wasn't it Murdock's magizine (The New York Post) that posted pictures of the wrong people as suspects on the front cover?

Young men, please sue the New York Post
They reported on what the FBI gave them.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,738,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Let me be the first to admit that I dont often like Jon Stewart, not because of him, but because people actually repeat what he says as "news"...

but this one was too funny to not pass along..
Hysterical: Daily Show's Jon Stewart Absolutely Rips Apart CNN's Boston Coverage | Independent Journal Review

Funniest part is near the end, but its all pretty good.
All media is corporate, but Fox News is in a class all by itself - corporate *and* right wing extremist.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
All media is corporate, but Fox News is in a class all by itself - corporate *and* right wing extremist.
uh hum, and you think we should all watch MSNBC where they spin it best to keep you uninformed.

Chris Matthews said of the Boston Bombings
“Let me ask you about domestic terrorism as a category. Normally, domestic terrorists, people tend to be on the far right, well that’s not a good category, just extremists, let’s call them that. Do they advertise after they do something like this? Do they try to get credit as a group or do they just hate America so much or its politics or its government that they just want to do the damage, they don’t care if they get public credit, if you will?”

Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,499,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
They were the only ones that got it right. CNN and MSNBC are disasters:
Ratings: Fox News Is Now 'The Most Trusted Name In News'
What ratings show is that more people tuned in. Yes, they mostly tuned-in because they were comfortable doing so. More people watched other news networks, more than they watched FOX, however. I don't think an objective person would ever describe FOX News as "The Most Trusted Name In News." It's a popular entertainment network, yes. And they should be congratulated for a successful business model.

Last edited by gomexico; 04-23-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,738,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
uh hum, and you think we should all watch MSNBC where they spin it best to keep you uninformed.

Chris Matthews said of the Boston Bombings
“Let me ask you about domestic terrorism as a category. Normally, domestic terrorists, people tend to be on the far right, well that’s not a good category, just extremists, let’s call them that. Do they advertise after they do something like this? Do they try to get credit as a group or do they just hate America so much or its politics or its government that they just want to do the damage, they don’t care if they get public credit, if you will?”
I don't know what you should or should not do. You can watch Faux News till your eyes burn out of your sockets for all I care. Me, I get my news from a variety of sources - American and abroad, that way what one doesn't report, the other does, and so on. I get a better perspective. Not telling you what to do, however, I'll bet I can play psychic when it comes to you. You'll be right there with your nose pressed to the Fox "news" channel.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times
Nothing will make Faux news valid. a broken clock is right twice a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies