Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Oh, yeah that's how it is where I live too. The buyer does all the work and if they decide to use the car in a crime without filing the paperwork the seller is protected.
So the dealer/seller was supposed to do all the work then...WOW..i'll let them know next time so I don't have to go to the court house to register my car...the delaer/seller will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Boston terrorists didn't have gun permits
So...that's another crime they can be charged with.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Private sellers are not required to validate your state of residence. That's the whole point.
Do you have any reason to believe people are not requesting ID when selling a gun? It is illegal to sell a gun to a non resident. If you sell to an underage person you face serious jail time. In order to sell a gun to someone from a different state you have to ship a gun to a FFL dealer in the person's home state. Most of the gun laws have punishments up to 10 years in federal prison, your average person isn't going to risk that.

You seem to be implying that people are willfully committing felonies and that could be true. However, if someone is committing a felony now why would that change with a universal background check requirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why don't you tell the reason. I tried to answer, but the answer was rejected, although it was technically correct.
You didn't provide an answer. There is no state, that I am aware of, that requires a background check on every gun purchase. I think it is because there is no workable mechanism to implement such a policy. I'm not opposed to private party background checks, quite the contrary. I can't think of a way to implement such a policy though. Instead of CA, MA, CT or any other state passing a law in their own state they push for a federal law, but federal laws are not enforced so this doesn't make sense.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So the dealer/seller was supposed to do all the work then...WOW..i'll let them know next time so I don't have to go to the court house to register my car...the delaer/seller will do it.
What are you talking about? I said buyer not seller. Dealers are different and have different rules they have to follow.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Do you have any reason to believe people are not requesting ID when selling a gun? It is illegal to sell a gun to a non resident. If you sell to an underage person you face serious jail time. In order to sell a gun to someone from a different state you have to ship a gun to a FFL dealer in the person's home state. Most of the gun laws have punishments up to 10 years in federal prison, your average person isn't going to risk that.
No one ever asked me to prove I live in Florida. Not asking is NOT a felony.

Quote:
You didn't provide an answer. There is no state, that I am aware of, that requires a background check on every gun purchase. I think it is because there is no workable mechanism to implement such a policy. I'm not opposed to private party background checks, quite the contrary. I can't think of a way to implement such a policy though. Instead of CA, MA, CT or any other state passing a law in their own state they push for a federal law, but federal laws are not enforced so this doesn't make sense.
OK, I thought you knew the answer. It could be enforced by requiring selles and byers to complete the sale at a dealer who performs the background check.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Sorry, the vehicle registration argument/comparison doesn't work. I have bought and sold vehicles in Montana, Wyoming, Washington, California, Tennessee, and Hawaii.
In California, yes, the dealer takes care of ALL the paperwork, including the title transfer, collecting the sales tax, and issuing the registration. A private party does not.
In each of the other states, the purchaser must go to the court house to transfer the title and register the vehicle. The seller has no responsibility for the paper work after the sale is completed.
In Montana, a DEALER must deliver the paperwork to the MVD office at the court house, but the buyer must go in and complete the transfer/registration process.
The Sandy Hook mother who took obama's saturday radio address spot freely ADMITTED that the proposed legislation probably would NOT have saved her childs life, but she wanted it passed anyway!
Right. It wouldn't have made any difference then, and it won't make much difference in the future, but let's do SOMETHING, even if it is wrong!
Then, when the next tragedy occurs, we'll do SOMETHING else!
Colorado passed gun control laws, then somebody shot up a pot party in Denver, WHILE THE POLICE WERE WATCHING THE POT SMOKERS!
yepper, having new gun control laws AND A POLICE PRESENCE really stopped the shooter(s), didn't it!
Right!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We have a gun problem in this country! I bet an incarcerated murderer could have a gun delivered to them in prison!
Bwhahahahaha! Ya think?! The right amount of money buys whatever is needed, including cooperation by authorities. Gaurds, screeners, whatever. And, you think tighter laws on citizens will make a difference?! (sigh ) I smell Eloi! Haha!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
All someone needs to do to make a gun in prison is a cartridge. Making the gun is easy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...w=1066&bih=523

Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
So...that's another crime they can be charged with.
I'll bet the authorities can find a picture or video of them running from the scene and crossing the street at anyplace other than an intersection. Let's throw the book at them and add jaywalking to the murder charge. That will add at least $10 to the fine.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I said buyer not seller. Dealers are different and have different rules they have to follow.
Keep up with your own postings please....everything we have been talking about is from the seller not the buyer....

Below is the original posting me and Snake are responding too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsg9000 View Post
You buy from a private party at a gun show. Yet you claim "that has nothing to do with gun shows."

Have you ever been to a gun show? People walk around with weapons on their back and "for sale" signs. People sell them in the parking lots out of the back of their vehicle.

But I guess you'll be telling me "that has nothing to do with gun shows."

That aside, if we had universal background checks for every weapon sale, new or used, private or from a dealer, then this discussion would be academic.

If you purchase a car, new or used, whether through a dealer or a private party, that sale must be reported by the seller to your state's motor vehicle department. This is also true for certain dangerous and toxic chemicals and commodities. The same sort of system should be instituted for all firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The seller only collects the cash from the buyer, signs the title & registration paperwork and gives it to the buyer and that's all she wrote as far as the sellers involvement. The State is only notified when the buyer goes in to register the car and pay the sales tax on it.

I draft a Bil of Sale to protect myself in case something comes up later.

Quote:
Oh, yeah that's how it is where I live too. The buyer does all the work and if they decide to use the car in a crime without filing the paperwork the seller is protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies