Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Someone please pass me the suntan lotion.

Second Coldest Start To Spring In US History | Real Science
Well at least it is the second coldest, it could be worse, it could be the number 1. Seriously I know what you mean. I usually have my garden in and everything starting to come up by now. I have about 1/2 in, the plants are barely above ground and I don't know when I will finish; hopefully the end of this week.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Saying that a cold spell proves there is no global warming is like saying nighttime proves there is no sun.
Let's face it: of course one season doesn't mean much, but posters like you would be the first to point out, the ungodly summer most of us experienced last year, prove Global Warning. I saw this posted here several times and on the weather forum as well. You see, it works both ways.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well at least it is the second coldest, it could be worse, it could be the number 1. Seriously I know what you mean. I usually have my garden in and everything starting to come up by now. I have about 1/2 in, the plants are barely above ground and I don't know when I will finish; hopefully the end of this week.
Been very cool here in metro Denver as well. The trees have not started to leaf out at all yet, which is probably good b/c we're supposed to get more snow for May Day. The tulips are just starting to bloom. Things are greening up b/c we had a record amount of snow in April. The funny thing is, we were having a dry, if not especially warm winter prior to March.

I realize, too that one season doesn't mean a lot, but it's really confusing, especially to those with no science background, when on the one hand, a snowy April supposedly means nothing, while a scorching July means global warming!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,153 times
Get out the Coming Ice Age books from the 1970's!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Another poster not ashamed to display their utter lack of anything science related.

Quote:
The world is getting warmer, which should mean warmer winters - right? Wrong - a new study shows that global warming produces colder winters and heavier dumps of snow for large swathes of the northern hemisphere.

In Canada it was dubbed 'Snowmageddon', while the Brits called it 'The Big Freeze'. Across Europe and the eastern United States temperatures plummeted for weeks on end during the winter of 2009/2010 and heavy snowfall caused major disruption. And then it happened all over again during the winter of 2010/2011, causing many to question whether global warming was happening at all.

Now research suggests that colder winters have become more frequent over the past two decades, and were likely a product of global warming.

Global warming set to bring colder, snowier winters - environmentalresearchweb

The warming does not mean that all parts of the planet will get warmer straight away uniformly . Instead complex oceanic and climate patterns established over thousands of years will change which may and lead to some areas getting colder initially as warming currents that have kept them warmer than is normal for their latitude are diverted. In fact, modeled climate projects that demonstrate global warming also show near-term cooling in some areas as a result of altered air and ocean circulation patterns due to warming elsewhere. As you look farther out in projected time even these areas begin to warm.

Global Warming

Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
I didn't realize history only went back to 1870.

1870 is when we got around to creating the US Weather Bureau to collect weather reports from stations across the continental US and from ships in the waters just off the US coastline. The Railroads actually pushed for this because weather events like blizzards or rain caused flooding sufficient to knock out rail service where becoming a problem for rail operators. The extensive rail network had a equally extensive telegraph system to send updates to those who controlled signals for rail traffic control. The telegraphs could send messages about the weather in almost real time so data about approaching weather could be collected and sent out in time to be of practical use. The new weather service could issur warnings and make the first weather forcasts. Often station masters were the first collectors of weather data until the Weather Bureau had built enough stations to effectively cover the nation. Also important was developing the instruments and procedures to accurately meause temperature, humidity, rainfall, atmospheric pressureand describe cloud cover and formations and the intensity of sun light were made avaiable by the combined efforts of the Weather Bureau, National Bureau of Standards and the Naval Observatoty.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:15 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
In the meantime, climate scientists world wide are scratching their heads, trying to figure out WHY "Climate Change" doesn't match the computer models. It just isn't warming like the computers say it should be!
In fact, for the last few years, the world climate hasn't warmed much at all!
Could it be that climate variations are NATURAL, and not man-caused?
WOW, what ;an INTERESTING concept!

This head scratching has born some fruit and a realization that the Earth's atmosphere isn't the only thing that has to be modeled to understand the Earth's heat balance and predict temperatures. The Earths Oceans are the 600 lb Gorilla in the room and you need not only a description of the surface temperatures and currents but a 3D map of Ocean temperature and currents to have any hope of getting it right. We are now getting to the point to be able to do this and guess what. The models now start to to physical sense. The Oceans account for 99% of the Earths heat balnce and thermal capacity and the increases heat trapped by the thin shell of green house gases is now found and is in the Ocean water some 10,000s meters thick. Its a match in accounting for increased heat. So the heating or cooling in the mid latitudes is controlled by those 3D ocean currents and one consequence is greater cloud cover, and shifts in mid lattitude jet streams which control storm paths and the mixing of colder air around the poles with tropical air (both from marine wet environments and drier air from deserts like the Sahara or Northern Mexico) to the mid-latitudes. Hence big snows and cooler weather on North Americ North of the Gulf of Mexico, prolonged drougth in the SW and ditto for Europe with the Mediterranean drying up because its north of the Sahara and blizzards in the UK, Germany and France.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 PM

470 posts, read 438,605 times
Quote:
Another poster not ashamed to display their utter lack of anything science related.
Global warming science...lol...lol...lol..lol...lol....lol..lol.. .lol

Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Saying that a cold spell proves there is no global warming is like saying nighttime proves there is no sun.
The earth is 4+ billion years old. By your logic, saying a 50 year warm spell proves there is global warming is like saying .....

Do you guys ever stop and think? The earth has been warming for 10,000 years. There is evidence of tropic plants in the arctic regions. Texas and NM were once an ocean. Kansas was under a sheet of ice, as was Manhattan.

Nobody disputes climate change. I dispute that taxing 5% of the global population to subsidize the other 95% of the population will have any affect on temps or climate.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Weather, think in terms of geological time. Not comparing last year to this year. Or even a hundred years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies