Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, I think it's hillarious when someone isn't happy about the number of black coaches, the black tax or the number of black students in science positions (a billion dollar iniative to correct "the problem" no less) .....that when you mention asians in the NFL they are under-represented because of their "interests" and not racism. My how quickly the story changes.

Yep, all those scouts and coaches out there scouring the combines....weighing options....and when people get butt-hurt because of a guys subjective draft position etc.....all of the sudden it's racial.
People are irrational when it comes to race.

The reason people mention the number of black coaches, the NFL black tax or the number of black students in science positions as a problem is because one in the NFL a huge percentage of coaches are former players, so when the NFL started featuring a huge number of black players and few of those players were following the same established pattern of going into coaching even though many players expressed an interest in coaching and given the history discrimination of the NFL against black people, the question of why aren't more black players becoming coaches based on that standard is a reasonable one.

Again the reason the question arises about why there are few black quarterbacks is based on the overwhelming number of black players who play quarterback in high school and college and yet when they get to the pro's are moved to another position.

Given myths and statements about the lack of black intelligence to play the QB position and again the history of discrimination of the NFL against black people that is a legit question.

In terms of questioning the number of black students in science, is a bit more complicated than just outright racial discrimination and is rarely treated as such.

I think if Asians begin to play football, and Asian players claim discrimination those same questions will be asked.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Also, the point of the article is that the media does not care about a black athlete who comes from a two parent family and graduates with a degree in a hard science. They want a "feel good" story about a guy who was raised by a single mother who was addicted to crack or had a family member killed by a gang while growing up.
Sounds like Brian Urlachers back story.....I didn't realize he was black.

The media pushes all the feel good underdog stuff regardless of color. The undrafted guys, the overlooked guys, the guys that had to struggle to make it against whatever obstacles in their life.

It's your perception that's making it racial.

P.S. I've read many many articles about the education and intelligence and philanthropy of Dikembe Mutombo. Guess you guys missed those.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
However, when the NHL is the topic and someone says that black players don't gravitate to hockey:
Until you hear or see me say that, don't bring that BS near me.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think it's hillarious when someone isn't happy about the number of black coaches, the black tax or the number of black students in science positions (a billion dollar iniative to correct "the problem" no less) .....that when you mention asians in the NFL they are under-represented because of their "interests" and not racism. My how quickly the story changes.

Yep, all those scouts and coaches out there scouring the combines....weighing options....and when people get butt-hurt because of a guys subjective draft position etc.....all of the sudden it's racial.
If you can point out any historical example of Asians being excluded from anywhere near the venues that blacks have been excluded from- and I am including sports on and off the field - well, I'm all ears.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Sounds like Brian Urlachers back story.....I didn't realize he was black.

The media pushes all the feel good underdog stuff regardless of color. The undrafted guys, the overlooked guys, the guys that had to struggle to make it against whatever obstacles in their life.

It's your perception that's making it racial.

P.S. I've read many many articles about the education and intelligence and philanthropy of Dikembe Mutombo. Guess you guys missed those.
EdwardA: "Mutombo is not African American. He's African. Therefore, he's different."

Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
People are irrational when it comes to race.

The reason people mention the number of black coaches, the NFL black tax or the number of black students in science positions as a problem is because one in the NFL a huge percentage of coaches are former players, so when the NFL started featuring a huge number of black players and few of those players were following the same established pattern of going into coaching even though many players expressed an interest in coaching and given the history discrimination of the NFL against black people, the question of why aren't more black players becoming coaches based on that standard is a reasonable one.

Again the reason the question arises about why there are few black quarterbacks is based on the overwhelming number of black players who play quarterback in high school and college and yet when they get to the pro's are moved to another position.

Given myths and statements about the lack of black intelligence to play the QB position and again the history of discrimination of the NFL against black people that is a legit question.

In terms of questioning the number of black students in science, is a bit more complicated than just outright racial discrimination and is rarely treated as such.

I think if Asians begin to play football, and Asian players claim discrimination those same questions will be asked.
The million dollar question is at what point in a league with a huge huge % of black participation does the "history of discrimination" stop being relevant? We can all certainly agree, especially with 42 in the theatres right now, that there have been problems in the past.

I personally feel we've reached a grey area where there are still pockets of trouble....but at the same token there are unwarranted claims. Heck, look at Kurt Warner and Doug Flutie...and what they had to go through to get a shot at even playing much in college let alone their roads to the NFL. Now you have guys moaning racism because of guys draft positions?

Just sad that I have to hear about racism against blacks in a league they essentially dominate as a % of population....and that other races lack of success there is due to "interests"....yet you cannot dare use that argument the other direction. NAACP is currently suing a magnet highschool in NY because it uses test based standards and there are too many asians and not enough blacks.

P.S. I think a lot of the better potential QB talent winds up in the NBA. Longer career, less injury, more money....we saw it with Ward.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
EdwardA: "Mutombo is not African American. He's African. Therefore, he's different."
You two were made for each other.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Until you hear or see me say that, don't bring that BS near me.
Now why on Earth would I ever think anything like that in the first place? Hmmmmm?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
If you can point out any historical example of Asians being excluded from anywhere near the venues that blacks have been excluded from- and I am including sports on and off the field - well, I'm all ears.
The point is that you don't have to show exclusion, just under-representation.

Do you have anything more specific in mind? I'm not quite following your wording.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
The million dollar question is at what point in a league with a huge huge % of black participation does the "history of discrimination" stop being relevant? We can all certainly agree, especially with 42 in the theatres right now, that there have been problems in the past.

I personally feel we've reached a grey area where there are still pockets of trouble....but at the same token there are unwarranted claims. Heck, look at Kurt Warner and Doug Flutie...and what they had to go through to get a shot at even playing much in college let alone their roads to the NFL. Now you have guys moaning racism because of guys draft positions?

Just sad that I have to hear about racism against blacks in a league they essentially dominate as a % of population....and that other races lack of success there is due to "interests"....yet you cannot dare use that argument the other direction. NAACP is currently suing a magnet highschool in NY because it uses test based standards and there are too many asians and not enough blacks.

P.S. I think a lot of the better potential QB talent winds up in the NBA. Longer career, less injury, more money....we saw it with Ward.

First off you aren't asking a question. Your question is an answer to what you believe.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.

It would be much more honest for you to say, that you think black people cry racism.

This belief informs your understanding of discussion of racial discrimination against black Americans.

Many people believe that black Americans cry racism to gain an advantage(lol) or whatever myth people want to believe.

Lack of success due to interests?(lol)

The NAACP is a big organization with many chapters and many members are you sure you know the official NAACP position on black Americans in science?(lol)

Here is a hint their position and their efforts are a lot more complicated than racism keeps black students out of science programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies