Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 03:45 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Well I am throwing myself into the fire with this post, but I have seen about the last inaccurate and fabricated "Welfare Queen" post than I can handle.

This anti welfare attitude and villainization of the poor is WRONG.

I lived in poverty most of my childhood. My mother left my abusive father when I was one and worked two jobs to survive. Even with those two jobs, she would have qualified for welfare and food stamps. But she was too proud to do so. Thus, I lived on ramen noodles and hot dogs for most of my childhood. I was underweight and malnourished. There were more times than I care to remember that I went to bed hungry. The only decent meal I got was at school...when my mother could afford it. She also refused reduced or free lunches, which she would have qualified for. Usually, I got a PB&J and carrots and was starving by dinner time. Then I got a small serving of hamburger helper. I also didn't see doctors for most of my childhood because my mother refused to use medicaid. I am still dealing with health issues due to that.

My SO's parents were the same. They were poor and could not afford very much food, but refused food stamps. His father gardened and that was what they ate most of the time. At one point, his father made my SO eat his own vomit after he threw up a pepper because they were so desperate to not waste food.

And the reason for this and why so many children are currently going hungry (or without decent shelter or health care) in this country is because there are still tons of people who are too proud to take assistance when they need it. And it because of this prevalent attitude that people who use government assistance are worthless!!

And with this, there are people who would qualify for assistance, but choose not to do so simply because they are too proud and don't want to be "one of those people." Then they are resentful of the people who actually take advantage of the benefits they are LEGALLY entitled to and use that to push an agenda against welfare and spread myths about people who use welfare.

IT IS WRONG. You are helping to perpetuate suffering, including your own.

Also: don't give me the old, "poor people are fat in America!!" I would have been fat eating hot dogs, ramen noodles, PB&Js, and hamburger helper too if I had a different body type and metabolism. I would have still been undernourished.
I'm sorry to have to say this, but your mother was stupid! Instead of being prideful and refusing help, she should have excepted it. Its one thing if it would have affected her, but this affected you too. If I worked in Dss I would have taken you from her because it seems instead of taking care of your best interests, she let pride get the better of her and let you suffer. You may feel differently, but no decent mother let's her kid go without seeing a doctor or eat simply because she thinks she's too good to get help...well obviously not if you can't help yourself while working two jobs.

3,674 posts, read 3,038,706 times
So welfare is "evil", but what about ultra right wing states like Oklahoma taking in more $ from the federal government than they contribute? Is that OK? What about bailing out failed big businesses? Is that "evil" too, or is it only "evil" those horrible poor folks get some help? I can't understand how people can be so cold and callous towards their fellow Americans, especially those that call themselves Christians. Since when did the United $tate$ become full of such hateful people?

1,562 posts, read 2,373,899 times
Oh, and one more thing. Church food pantries are overflowing with food. It may not be prime rib and lobster, but there is so much food and so few takers.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Oh, and one more thing. Church food pantries are overflowing with food. It may not be prime rib and lobster, but there is so much food and so few takers.
Not the ones I saw there in OK. Many were running low on a lot of items

Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Since when did the United $tate$ become full of such hateful people?
When Obama hates and encourages hatred toward people that are paying the bill.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,926,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I know a man in Oklahoma City who voluntarily gathers and delivers food to poor people who have fallen through the cracks. He is always short on food and volunteers. He is one who champions the idea that welfare is needed to do justice, not charity, because he knows thousands of poor people and realizes that the stacks are against them. And the government is helping to stack the odds against them. Welfare is the least they can do, in his opinion.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When Obama hates and encourages hatred toward people that are paying the bill.
What exactly did Obama say that was so hateful? How is he encouraging hatred, because I'm not seeing it from across the pond here. Even if he is, which I doubt, why respond with more hate? If the right are so morally superior to the rest of mankind, then they should rise above all that and set the standard of moral superiority that they claim they have. Otherwise, they are simply no better, and most likely worse. Jesus certainly didn't act that way did He?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
He is always short on food and volunteers.
Maybe people are too busy WORKING and can't volunteer.

Maybe people are having a hard enough time supporting their own family and can't afford to always be giving to those who will be in line day after day, year after year.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What stopped you mom from getting re-married? That is how she SHOULD have taken care of her family if she could not afford the kids she brought into the world. Also, where was the court-ordered child support payments until you turned 18?
REALLY??? Marriage is a major life altering decision. Why do people have to do something so drastic just to survive?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,768,584 times
Don't sleep with trash men. If you did, don't have his baby. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies