Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,364,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hmmm, what (or whom) have you been living off all these years?
If you are employed by some companies you opt out.
Railroads for example have their own retirement system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Yes it is and has worked for 80 years. As has been proved by the 2008 downturn.

A lot of people will have SS to fall back on after paying in for about 40 years or so.

So its a govt. plan which works and is effective.

It "works" because its solvency is based on those who pay in for decades without getting back what they paid in.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,253,608 times
Quote:
??? Wtf ???
Reading disability? or writing?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,719,563 times
Quote:
Hmmm, what (or whom) have you been living off all these years?

I'm self employed. It depends if it is spring, summer, fall or winter. I have several hobbies, that I make a little cheese from. Come October, you will find me in the deer woods until mid January, guiding bowhunts for whitetail, axis, fallow, sika, hogs and turkey. I also sell a few calves and trap live hogs.
I have also been known to lay a floor or two. Then there are the 3 wells pumping hard out back.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
It cant be because when you guys get wacked (economic) I dont want you on welfare. I want you getting your money and more back that was protected by US Tres. bonds.

Wat about those with a family history of (disease x and) early death? They're not going to live long enough to be old and poor, so why should they have to pay into a system that will probably return nothing to them?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
SS is welfare, that's all it was ever designed to be. It's a fail-safe for people that worked and lost everything or failed to save. The only difference between now and 70 years ago is people today live longer and treat SS like a retirement plan. Why do you think the system in unsustainable?

Do people in this country seriously expect minimum wage earners to save for retirement?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm self employed. It depends if it is spring, summer, fall or winter. I have several hobbies, that I make a little cheese from. Come October, you will find me in the deer woods until mid January, guiding bowhunts for whitetail, axis, fallow, sika, hogs and turkey. I also sell a few calves and trap live hogs.
I have also been known to lay a floor or two. Then there are the 3 wells pumping hard out back.
If you've not paid into SS, and don't want it, and don't need it, maybe you shouldn't be critical of it?

Explain at least to ONE MEMBER how while being self employed, you don't pay SS tax, which exactly what I stated earlier in the thread, but one person just doesn't get it.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,279,802 times
Quote:
Do people in this country seriously expect minimum wage earners to save for retirement?
It's not that difficult even for min wage workers. Most have other priorities.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Reading disability? or writing?

Neither, your "solution" is pretty useless:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojiveman
you can. Start your own company {self employed}, then refuse to pay any and all taxes.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Neither, your "solution" is pretty useless:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojiveman
you can. Start your own company {self employed}, then refuse to pay any and all taxes.
Member Bentbow is self employed and doesn't, I asked him/she to explain it to you.

I was self employed too, but paid my federal taxes and my self employment taxes, some people who are sub contractors that receive 1099's at years end don't necessarily pay all taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies