Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
They come here for FREEDOM in all its forms and manifestations.
You are either a dreamer or a liar. Perhaps a bit of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
[/b]
Yes...ONE politician out of thousands went to the US...he has a condo in Florida and probably wanted to recuperate there.
Secondly, he COULD have had it done here...it IS available here, for your information.
Educate yourself, instead of spouting talking points. Google is your friend.
Again. Some people are very defensive of their health system.

I wonder why.

The road goes both ways.

And know. Like I said. I am a us physician. Not all heart surgeries are the same. Not all valve surgeries are the same. The canadian politician went to the USA because he knew a certain surgeon was available.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Even with insurance you have thousands of dollars in deductibles, co pays and non covered things. And the shame of it is that you have NO idea what the stuff will cost you until the bill shows up in the mail.
must not have good insurance huh? My wife went into Mayo Rochester for emergancy removal of a 7cm ovarian cyst along with everything else....didn't get billed at all. BCBS Gold must work for some of us...

Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Yes. I am very well aware the term socialized medicine is a US term. This is a US centric message board. We use US slang. Those of us who are historians in medicine know the modern health systems in many Europeans have only existed since world war 2. It's because Europe was absolutely destroyed. As a reward for surviving the costly war. Many European countries decided "for the greater good of its suffering of people" to start implementing a health system that essentially covers all its citizens through the use of public funds.

As for the added cost of medicine. I agree with u. I have already stated the health care industry is so big. Try cutting 5% of it will cause hundreds of thousands to become unemployed. But the more they try to fix it the worst they make it. Even "taxing" device manufacturers more with the ACA has backfired. The same
Democratic leg US Senate that passed the ACA with the device manufactuer tax has just voted to over turn their own bill. It's absolutely ridiculous. But the "middle guys" have billions at stake and they will use their lobbying power to get anything they want.

I don't know what country u are from or have experience. But we have canadians on these board who brag their system is better. Yet didn't a certain politician from Canada have heart surgery in the USA a couple of years ago? If the system is so good. Why is a politican having surgery in the US? We all know why. It's cause the US innovatives in medical procedures. The same heart surgery he had may eventually work its way up to Canada in a few years.

But that's what US medicine is all about. It's highly advanced yet extremely expensive at the same time.
You're not as up on your information as you'd like to think:

That particular Mitral valve operation was pioneered by Dr's Thierry Mesana at the University of Ottawas Heart Institute and Subodh Verma of St. Michaels Hospital of the University of Toronto and given much accolades when their procedure was written and published by them in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine Dec 3, 2009.

So the innovative procedure was developed in Canada by Canadian doctors.

Now there is this little tid-bit; the first minimally invasive robotic Mitral valve repair was first performed In London Ontario CANADA a full 6 years prior by Dr Alan Menkis on this individual:

Op-Ed: Danny Williams could have had surgery in Canada

So it would seem that Danny just wanted to git 'er done and spend the 6 -12 weeks recuperating at the condo he owns in Miami. Makes sense to me.

All that other bumpf about going where the innovation takes place, is just that in this case ~ bumpf!

The procedure was invented and pioneered in Canada and eventually worked it's way down to Miami.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
My vote would be she's 30% former and 70% latter.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Dreamer, perhaps. Liar - I leave that to you.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:14 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
NOT:

Why Are Patients Racing Out of America for Healthcare? | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

This is will be a common theme in the future--Americans traveling abroad because procedures done elsewhere can be just as good, and even after including the cost of travel, will still be cheaper than what they can get at home. What good is technology if you can't afford the access and when it is only accessible to the uber wealthy? When your own citizens have to travel abroad for proper treatment I'd call that an epic fail America.
What gave you the idea that American heathcare was anything except the Most Expensive (and maybe least cost efficient) in the world?

Oh, I forgot, you probably heard that on your third-rate Media

Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
must not have good insurance huh? My wife went into Mayo Rochester for emergancy removal of a 7cm ovarian cyst along with everything else....didn't get billed at all. BCBS Gold must work for some of us...
NOT possible. There has to be some copay. I've never heard of any health insurance (except for maybe some HMO, and then they wouldn't let you go to the Mayo Clinic), that didn't have copays, some of which are big mfs.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My vote would be she's 30% former and 70% latter.
I say she's usually 50-50 but prefers the lying to the dreaming.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're not as up on your information as you'd like to think:

That particular Mitral valve operation was pioneered by Dr's Thierry Mesana at the University of Ottawas Heart Institute and Subodh Verma of St. Michaels Hospital of the University of Toronto and given much accolades when their procedure was written and published by them in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine Dec 3, 2009.

So the innovative procedure was developed in Canada by Canadian doctors.

Now there is this little tid-bit; the first minimally invasive robotic Mitral valve repair was first performed In London Ontario CANADA a full 6 years prior by Dr Alan Menkis on this individual:

Op-Ed: Danny Williams could have had surgery in Canada

So it would seem that Danny just wanted to git 'er done and spend the 6 -12 weeks recuperating at the condo he owns in Miami. Makes sense to me.

All that other bumpf about going where the innovation takes place, is just that in this case ~ bumpf!

The procedure was invented and pioneered in Canada and eventually worked it's way down to Miami.
Nope. A French doc was the first to do min invasive mitral valve repair.

I am not going to get into long arguments with people not in the medical community over valvular or cardiac disease. It's not worth my time. The mortality of mitral or aortic valve disorders is high. U want the best to do it. Again he's never answer why he had it in the US. He says its a private matter. He's a public figure with a public health system who claims it's great.

The simple fact is one of yours Canadian head guys goes to another country. I haven't ever heard of a US politician going to another country to have a complex medical procedure unless it so experiential it's not approved for routine care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies