Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,004 times

Advertisements

If the USA's health system is so bad, why did this ambulance chasing lawyer from the USA "escape the Italian healthcare system" and "sneak back via Canada's borders into the USA" to get treatement for this multi resistant TB.

TB-infected lawyer released from hospital - CNN.com

People don't understand. Yes you will get approximately 95% of the same care in the USA vs other countries are a lower cost. But those other countries will save cost on certain individual and diseases for the greater benefit of the system to save money.

If the Italian health system is so good, why did the lawyer go back to the USA. It's fairly obviously. He knew he could have been screwed in Italy and they may decide to save their precious health dollars and not spend thousands or hundreds of thosands on his disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
NOT:

Why Are Patients Racing Out of America for Healthcare? | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

This is will be a common theme in the future--Americans traveling abroad because procedures done elsewhere can be just as good, and even after including the cost of travel, will still be cheaper than what they can get at home. What good is technology if you can't afford the access and when it is only accessible to the uber wealthy? When your own citizens have to travel abroad for proper treatment I'd call that an epic fail America.
I get almost all of my medical taken care of in Thailand.
Crown for $250, complete medical with cancer screenings and girlie stuff for under $500.
Even with insurance, it's cheaper to fly to Thailand and have it done.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
You do realize many civilized countries "mis lead" about facts themselves. The US more honest to report their mistakes. Heck, do you know why the US infant mortality rate is "so high?". It's cause other countries flat out lie or mislead the public about who they count as a "live birth". In the USA, we count any baby who exhibits any signs of "life" as a live birth. No matter how many grams they weigh. Many other countries will not count "live births if babies fall below a certain threshold. Lots of European countries will not count certain "live births" that way. Japan and other asian countries have a notoriously high "still births" rather than "infant deaths".¨
So...your argument is that you can't trust the statistics because all other countries "lie" or "mislead the public"? Including the ones who clock in as having less corruption and a freer press than the US? Because there is a high correlation between those and good performance in health care!

Or are you saying that these countries do not follow the World Health Assemblys definitions and rules for submitting statistics?

Whats their motivation? What do all these thousands of people who submit data that gets used in peer reviwed research gain from lying on the statistics? What do you think would happen to their job status if that was found out?

And what do you think happens to those hypothetical babies that are not recorded as live. They fget recorded in other categories, why don't those categories rise?

Quote:
Never belive all the things the new media feeds you. Ask people in the trenches both abroad and inside the USA.
Can we believe the stuff we read in peer reviewed papers? Because you know, what you are saying here is that we can never improve anything becuse everything is suspect. I have a suspicion you got no idea how the fact-checking processes work here.

Quote:
What are the true number of medical mistakes? The truth is is about the same as other socialize medicine coutries.
Whar exactly do you mean by "socialize medicine"? Exactly? And how do you know what the rates of medical mistakes are if you cannot trust anything? I mean, you are stating that Japan and "other Asian countries" have "Notoriously high "still births"" Yet, looking it up, I see Japan, with 125 million epoole, clock 6000 stillbriths in a year, whereas the US with 300 million, record 15 000.

So notoriously high?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I get almost all of my medical taken care of in Thailand.
Crown for $250, complete medical with cancer screenings and girlie stuff for under $500.
Even with insurance, it's cheaper to fly to Thailand and have it done.
I heard thats it's the best place to go if you looking for a body and fender work
Thailand Plastic Surgery Center, Bangkok , Thailand (TPSC)

or if you trying to get cutadickfrome surgery!!
Thailand Plastic Surgery Price Cost - Cheap Plastic Surgery

Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,901 times
Quote:
If the USA's health system is so bad, why did this ambulance chasing lawyer from the USA "escape the Italian healthcare system" and "sneak back via Canada's borders into the USA" to get treatement for this multi resistant TB.

TB-infected lawyer released from hospital - CNN.com

People don't understand. Yes you will get approximately 95% of the same care in the USA vs other countries are a lower cost. But those other countries will save cost on certain individual and diseases for the greater benefit of the system to save money.

If the Italian health system is so good, why did the lawyer go back to the USA. It's fairly obviously. He knew he could have been screwed in Italy and they may decide to save their precious health dollars and not spend thousands or hundreds of thosands on his disease.
I don't actually see anything about Italy in the link, or escaping. It refers to a lawyer that had a dangerous, hard to treat and contagious condition, flew to Europe on a comercial jet despite doctors warnings about him being contagious, and then had to get an air ambulance back because he was still contagious with a potentially lethal disease.

There is nothing there about him seeking treatment in Italy, or anywhere in Europe? Or mention Canada?

Basically, it says nothing like what you stated.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I heard thats it's the best place to go if you looking for a body and fender work
Thailand Plastic Surgery Center, Bangkok , Thailand (TPSC)

or if you trying to get cutadickfrome surgery!!
Thailand Plastic Surgery Price Cost - Cheap Plastic Surgery
I figure if they can successfully do trans-gender surgery, they can do almost anything.
And, I'm right.

A good friend died a few years ago in Bangkok.
She had the best treatment I have ever seen in a hospital.
The rooms were large and there was a sofa/bed in the room for spouse or friends.
If I were terminal and unable to take my own life, I'd want my last months to be in a Thai hospital.
They treat you with respect and care.
And my friend's spouse didn't go bankrupt over it.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
So...your argument is that you can't trust the statistics because all other countries "lie" or "mislead the public"? Including the ones who clock in as having less corruption and a freer press than the US? Because there is a high correlation between those and good performance in health care!

Or are you saying that these countries do not follow the World Health Assemblys definitions and rules for submitting statistics?

Whats their motivation? What do all these thousands of people who submit data that gets used in peer reviwed research gain from lying on the statistics? What do you think would happen to their job status if that was found out?

And what do you think happens to those hypothetical babies that are not recorded as live. They fget recorded in other categories, why don't those categories rise?

Can we believe the stuff we read in peer reviewed papers? Because you know, what you are saying here is that we can never improve anything becuse everything is suspect. I have a suspicion you got no idea how the fact-checking processes work here.

Whar exactly do you mean by "socialize medicine"? Exactly? And how do you know what the rates of medical mistakes are if you cannot trust anything? I mean, you are stating that Japan and "other Asian countries" have "Notoriously high "still births"" Yet, looking it up, I see Japan, with 125 million epoole, clock 6000 stillbriths in a year, whereas the US with 300 million, record 15 000.

So notoriously high?
I am so frustrated at how narrow minded some people are on these boards.

1. Look up what infant mortality is. Some countries like Canada, Germany and Austria will NOT consider a living child if it weighs less than 500 grams. I am a US physician. I know my stuff. If you do not count someone who eventually dies within the first year, you will pad your stats about infant mortality.

Again with regards to still born like infant mortality. Countries use their own definition of what constitutes stillbirth. You are scew a stat any way you want it if you make up your own definition of what still born is. Than report that number to the World Health organzation. Do you really think the WHO audits every countries definition of what's infant mortality? And what's still born? No, they do not. They just collect data and spit it out. They are not paid to interpret data and how it is collected.

2. Peer review articles are always read over and criticized. The IOM has thoroughly been criticized. Does it have some fine points? Sure it does. But there are so many holes in the report. But all the stupid American public believes is what they first about the mainstream news media reporting it.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Americas health care system is the best in the world if you could afford it or have insurance.
It would also depend heavily on what kind of insurance.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
I don't actually see anything about Italy in the link, or escaping. It refers to a lawyer that had a dangerous, hard to treat and contagious condition, flew to Europe on a comercial jet despite doctors warnings about him being contagious, and then had to get an air ambulance back because he was still contagious with a potentially lethal disease.

There is nothing there about him seeking treatment in Italy, or anywhere in Europe? Or mention Canada?

Basically, it says nothing like what you stated.
No. Andrew Speaker is his name. Once it was found he had multi resistant TB. He knew no one wanted to take care of him. The CDC wanted him quantinine in Italy where he currently was.

He "escape" by sneaking back into the US. Why would someone fly to Canada and than drive into the US border. If that's not escaping and sneaking back into the USA, than I don't know what is. Isn't it easier to fly directly from Italty to New York? Rathern than Canada and driving into the USA. He knew exactly what he was doing.

He did not take an air ambulance back. He took a commerical airline flight back to Motreal and drove back to the USA.

My point is why didn't he want to take up the CDC's offer to have the Italian's take care of him? If the US health system is so bad, why not have the Italians cure him?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_tuberculosis_scare

Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I figure if they can successfully do trans-gender surgery, they can do almost anything.
And, I'm right.

A good friend died a few years ago in Bangkok.
She had the best treatment I have ever seen in a hospital.
The rooms were large and there was a sofa/bed in the room for spouse or friends.
If I were terminal and unable to take my own life, I'd want my last months to be in a Thai hospital.
They treat you with respect and care.
And my friend's spouse didn't go bankrupt over it.
I guess I'm lucky to live by the Mayo clinic. They have pretty good care there if you ask me.....Wife just had a 8cm cyst taken out, emergancy and they treated us like royalty.....Probably saved her life really......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies