Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Maybe if you read my origional statemnt on the issue you would see that I'm not saying it's some static number of drinks..........

" Of course it is all different for everyone depending on when you ate etc."

Who said anything about four jack and cokes? I prefer Crown BTW.
Blech! Tuaca is soo much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Tuaca? Never heard of it. I been on the Canadian whiskey for a long time. My uncle breaks out the high dollar Irish stuff during the holidays. Nothing beats that stuff but it's too steep for my pockets the stuff he gets anyway. I guess I should give old Lucknow some credit. Canada does do more than just pump syrup from trees. lol

Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Maybe if you read my origional statemnt on the issue you would see that I'm not saying it's some static number of drinks..........

" Of course it is all different for everyone depending on when you ate etc."

Most people are not willing to risk it and will just stay home to drink.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-18-2013, 12:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
If one is going to drink whiskey, then they had better make it good.

Only Jameson will do.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:34 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It probably won't save a life. People who are involved in dUI accidents are not those who have had one drink or two or probably even 3, most are over the .10, not the .05. Yes, it will eat into profits and yes, that is a concern. The economy should be a concern. I don't know your drinking habits or if you even drink and it isn't my business, but what is my business is, the government, again, infringing on my rights by attempting to pass ridiculous laws. I will add, I rarely have a drink other than at home or a friends house. I will, when we are out for dinner, have a glass of wine, maybe 2. Thus I certainly do not support bars and restaurants, but I also know, the .05 will affect my pocketbook. I don't care about the pocket book of the restaurants so much. If the laws are changed, the bars and restaurants will increase the cost of a drink to make up for some of their losses. That affects me. If you are a drinker at all, it affects you.

Ask yourself, do you really want this to happen and do you think many people are involved in accidents, caused by alcohol, when they have had 1 or 2 drinks?

Nita
You have no right to drive on public highways....driving is a privilege granted to those who comply with sensible guidelines put in place for public safety. You most certainly do not have a right to drink and drive.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
It needs to be raised back to .10

Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Continued studies of the effects of BAC at certain levels reveal when driving becomes unsafe for the average person at those levels. Commercial vehicle operators have been under the lower levels for years, which I itself demonstrates that it has been always considered unsafe.
Or that you shouldn't be drinking on the job.

I'm not advocating driving after you drink. I'm being realistic about consumption levels in this country and the true risky drivers. It's usually not a 1 time thing with the true problems.

I do not believe the legal limit should be lowered.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is true. It's the same way here. You can be charged already for .5 if you are showing signs of intoxication. With that being the case this looks to me to be a case of trying to increase fines not make the roads safer.
OK if that is the case then the laws should reflect the degree of drunk driving. People between .05 and .10 should be charged with impaired driving and not get the same punishment somebody should get at .30.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
OK if that is the case then the laws should reflect the degree of drunk driving. People between .05 and .10 should be charged with impaired driving and not get the same punishment somebody should get at .30.
Would make sense to me.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I do not know if something like this would pass in Alaska. It might.

Alaska already has some of the toughest DUI laws in the nation.
  • If you are 21 or older, up to 0.08 is allowed.
  • Commercial drivers only 0.04 or less is allowed.
1st Offense - 3 days jail mandatory; mandatory ignition interlock device for 90 days; suspension of license for 90 days; fines up to $1,500.
2nd Offense - 20 days jail mandatory; mandatory ignition interlock device for one year; suspension of license for one year; fines up to $3,000.

3rd Offense - It becomes a Class C felony; 60 days jail mandatory; mandatory ignition interlock device for 3 years; suspension of license for 3 years, or permanently revoked; fines up to $4,000.
The "look back" time is 10 years.
Most states have laws that bark loudly but rarely do they actually "bite" very much. Even if somebody gets killed, it is usually only a year in jail or probation for the offender. I have never seen a DUI spend more than a night in jail or 2 nights if it is Friday. Usually they are released on bail or I bonds as soon as they see the judge. Even repeat offenders. And by the time it gets to court, it is usually plea bargained down to "inattentive" or "careless" driving and a fine of $500. Sometimes a judge will impose a suspension but the offender gets a hardship license which pretty much negates the suspension. The only thing most DUIs do is cost the offender a fair amount of cash after he pays impound fees, lawyers fees and fines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies