Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
A corporation barley wants to pay their CEO. I'm glad you feel passionate about this subject, I really do but you need to think of it in a business mindset. Apple's Tim Cook was the highest paid CEO last year I believe and on his watch an Apple contractor, Foxxconn, had a mass suicide on his watch. Apple could bring those jobs back home but it's all about maximizing profits therefore most of Apple operations will continue to be in China. Now going back to what you're saying, if those corporations did refuse to pay for something that isn't mandatory such as the $500k you speak of, would you be mad if they moved back to The USA or a Western society and those workers are left without jobs? Would you want us to start sending money to them since they don't have jobs now?

Trust me, I understand your frustration but lets think rationally here. I don't think any of us would mind paying $.25 extra for safety, but I don't believe that number would be as true as you'd like it to be. If Nordstrom or GAP or whatever were to make its China, Bangladesh, etc factories safer, it would probably translate to tens of dollars more for the consumer, not $.25.
I won't buy anything from Apple. They are corporate traitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Corporations are in the business of making money, why do you expect them to care??

Old 05-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Many Americans are not even aware of the lives lost in the Bangladesh garment factory collapse, thanks to our mainstream media which has corporate interests at heart.

Bangladesh Factory Collapse Poll Finds Americans With Little Awareness, Outrage

Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I won't buy anything from Apple. They are corporate traitors.
What device are you using to post on CD? Most likely it was made in a sweatshop, terrible environment that you stand against.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Corporations are in the business of making money, why do you expect them to care??
Some do.

"I am troubled by the deafening silence from other apparel retailers on this issue," Galen Weston, the executive chairman of Loblaw, a Canadian apparel brand that used the Rana Plaza factory to manufacture its goods, said in Toronto. As many as 30 international apparel brands were having goods manufactured in this building, yet only two have come forward and publicly commented."

Weston announced that Loblaw will enact new rules aimed at preventing future tragedies. The company will now examine the structural integrity of factory buildings when it conducts audits of suppliers... The company is also forming a relief fund for the Rana Plaza victims and their families."

Loblaw Condemns 'Deafening Silence' In Wake Of Bangladesh Factory Collapse

Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
What device are you using to post on CD? Most likely it was made in a sweatshop, terrible environment that you stand against.
sony Vaio laptop. I don't know about their manufacturing practices, and I should.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
didn't the owner of the factory try to do a runner to India?

that means he knows he was guilty, and now some schmucks want to give 500K to some other A-hole owner!

why let the crooked owners off the hook with idealistic PC liberal BS - no, that's just a joke!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:44 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hmmm. This has nothing to do with my personal feelings about safer workplaces and right and wrong but it seems to me that if they spend the money to make the overseas workplace like the workplace at home, why do the jobs overseas? They're over there because it's cheaper. So, if all of the overseas countries demand things like safer workplaces and higher wages, those jobs come back here (and consumers pay more for the product).
Actually, they don't come back here. Even if costs equal what they are here, there is no incentive to build a factory here when you already have one there. Costs would have to be cheaper here to bring jobs back here. In the absence of cost savings, the easy thing is to leave them where they are, unless your consumer is demanding products made in the USA.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
We can blame ourselves here. We DEMAND cheap goods to buy. If companies don't deliver, we'll go to the company that does and THAT results in things like this happening. The consumer is the one who holds ultimate control here. Unfortunately, all we care about is cheap goods.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
sony Vaio laptop. I don't know about their manufacturing practices, and I should.
And what about the clothes on your back? And way about the food you consume? And what about the utility company in your area that provides you energy? If your married-what about the band on your finger? No place has 100% positive work ethics; your clothes probably came from a sweatshop, your food was picked by a underpaid worker rather their legal or illegal, your utilities probably have something coming from the Middle East where blood is being shed everyday rather its car bombs, people dying on the job, or whatever, your wedding band probably origins from Africa where the people are being exploited and paid that $.25 cent a hour that you said you're willing to pay, the computer your typing on was probably made in China by someone who committed suicide right after putting a chip in or putting the case in a transport vehicle.

My point is nothing occurs the way we want it to in life, that plant collapsing is a tragedy and I must agree with you that the press isn't giving it proper coverage, but there's not much you can do about it. You want to start a revolution? Go for it. I wouldn't mind donating $20 to you to protest the deaths of these people and maybe even change some laws. People die in US plants everyday rather by falling into a machine or explosions that happened in TX, do you intend on stopping those accidents as well? Please don't think I'm attacking you, I just want you to see that we need to be logical here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies