Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Little to do with it? How about the severe and irresponsible non stop breeding that takes place in countries in which roman catholics are the majority?

Religion plays a huge part in breeding choices.
Uh; please name 1 Catholic country where the birthrate is high, like much over 2 kids per family in 2013?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 05:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; please name 1 Catholic country where the birthrate is high, like much over 2 kids per family in 2013?
In reality there is only one Catholic country and that's the Vatican which I think has a very low birth rate. That's the only nation that is actually governed by the Catholic Church.

The Islamic run nations have very high birth rates but they have polygamy and legalized child rape. Girls can be purchased as young as 10 years of age.

Most nations are governed by a secular government.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Birth rates are plunging worldwide, and especially in the US & all of Europe.

I don't know about Africa's birth rate or South America's, but very few countries on either continent have an economy or living conditions worth celebrating as opposed to being beset by corruption and dictators.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
All myth.

You could get 50 billion people in the land mass of 5 1/2 Texases and the pop density would be the same as current day Brooklyn.

That means there will always be plenty of open land around the world.
No not really...... You need to account for food, water and perhaps heating methods, unless you think people will be willing to camp out in tents with a sleeping bag all the time. GNO foods is a source of foods to feed masses of people, but can we gmo water? We can run salt to fresh but you will pay hard for the energy.

India will run out of water in the next 150 years bank on it. There is no water in India that isn't melting ice. 10,000 years will pass before that region gets ice back.

I don't think people can live quite that long with out water and i don't think India can buy the energy for it either, and i don't think they will stop reproducing.

I think they will pack their bags and move to any places they can en-mass, maybe Mexico

It's not my problem..... I may have 2 decades left if that. So i am not about to worry.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times
The world is definitely overpopulated and this resulting in excessive use of the earth's natural resources, including water, various animal populations, and fossil fuels. The number of endangered species is alarming and you could see the wild populations of panda bears, lions, tigers, and cheetahs wiped out.

To this end, there are policies that can help, such as sex education and access to affordable contraceptives.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Tax incentives for NOT having children. Right now, in the US, the tax code favors persons with children and basically "punishes" those with out. Remember, persons without children aren't using one of the most costly government funded programs there is: Education. So why are they taxed at a higher rate, to pay for schools, etc and those who use those programs are given a tax break?
Less people means spreading more of the wealth around since there is a shrinking labor pool, hence wages increase. This is why the US keeps getting flooded with so many unneeded foreigners from developing nations.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
The world is definitely overpopulated and this resulting in excessive use of the earth's natural resources, including water, various animal populations, and fossil fuels. The number of endangered species is alarming and you could see the wild populations of panda bears, lions, tigers, and cheetahs wiped out.

To this end, there are policies that can help, such as sex education and access to affordable contraceptives.
Meaningful economic development and getting women in the workforce in very large numbers do more than just simple sex education and contraceptives

Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In reality there is only one Catholic country and that's the Vatican which I think has a very low birth rate. That's the only nation that is actually governed by the Catholic Church.

The Islamic run nations have very high birth rates but they have polygamy and legalized child rape. Girls can be purchased as young as 10 years of age.

Most nations are governed by a secular government.
I think the poster was referring to countries where a majority of the population is Catholic and not countries run by the Catholic church. Also, did you know that the Roman Catholic Church is not the only Catholic Church and that there are 22 different Eastern Catholic Churches? Catholicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Birth rates are plunging worldwide, and especially in the US & all of Europe.

I don't know about Africa's birth rate or South America's, but very few countries on either continent have an economy or living conditions worth celebrating as opposed to being beset by corruption and dictators.

The continent of Africa has some of the highest birth rates in the world.

List of sovereign states and dependent territories by birth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Meaningful economic development and getting women in the workforce in very large numbers do more than just simple sex education and contraceptives
Economic development in terms of helping women escape from poverty has been shown to decrease the birth rate (slightly) in the Third World.

Also, access to birth control, and allowing women to access birth control privately without the husband's knowledge. Studies in the Third World have shown that when women can access health providers and birth control, without being accompanied by their husbands, that they have a higher and more successful rate of birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies