Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should abortion be legal?
Abortion should be legal in all or most cases. 56 74.67%
Abortion should be illegal in all or most cases. 19 25.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:21 PM

20 posts, read 17,411 times

Advertisements

Should abortion be legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 01:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Yes

Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,247,343 times
No vote, not enough options.

It's not a question as to whether abortions should be legal or illegal, it's a question of "when does life begin".

Once the embryo/fetus is considered a human, it would then be murder to abort a pregnancy.

The hard-core anti-abortion types believe that life begins at the moment of conception; that the single-cell combination of the mother's and father's DNA is a new human and enjoys the same rights as a 6-month-old baby. Therefore, they believe that ALL abortions are murder.

The ultra-liberal "pro-choice" types believe that life doesn't begin until the baby takes its first breath. Anything done to it before that point is a medical procedure to be decided between the woman and her doctor. They believe ALL abortions are morally acceptable and should be legal. This is why the trial just occurred - the doctor thought it was perfectly OK to cut the spine of the fetuses if he could get it done before the baby started crying... except sometimes he wasn't quick enough, but he killed the baby anyway.

In my opinion, the vast majority of people believe that life begins (and therefore abortion ceases to be a moral option) sometime between these two points.

My personal belief is that life begins when the brain cells start to fire; when brain waves start. This is the definition used to determine death (cessation of brain activity), and it also works as a definition to determine life. This occurs roughly at the end of the first trimester. Anything after that is murder and shouldn't be legal.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Yes. The reality is if abortion is made stricter again it will cause women to go to unqualified doctors and often die or become sterile. However one of the myths back then was that abortion was illegal. This wasn't true really and in many states abortion was legal, in others it was illegal except for health reasons like the health of the mother and sometimes due to rape. That's not to say I support all aspects, because I have a problem with using abortion like some women do as a form of birth control and I only support late term in the health of the mother (as in she will die otherwise). I personally would only consider abortion in cases of my health, perhaps if the fetus was severely defective (though not sure about this one)and probably as a result of rape. Otherwise I would carry to term.

What would happen if Roe V Wade was overturned isn't as scary as some would make you believe. Basically the choice would come to do state's rights and some states (like Mississippi)would likely ban it completely, other states would keep it legal only for health reasons and other states would keep it completely legal in all instances.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Every abortion is a tragedy.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No vote, not enough options.

It's not a question as to whether abortions should be legal or illegal, it's a question of "when does life begin".

Once the embryo/fetus is considered a human, it would then be murder to abort a pregnancy.

The hard-core anti-abortion types believe that life begins at the moment of conception; that the single-cell combination of the mother's and father's DNA is a new human and enjoys the same rights as a 6-month-old baby. Therefore, they believe that ALL abortions are murder.

The ultra-liberal "pro-choice" types believe that life doesn't begin until the baby takes its first breath. Anything done to it before that point is a medical procedure to be decided between the woman and her doctor. They believe ALL abortions are morally acceptable and should be legal. This is why the trial just occurred - the doctor thought it was perfectly OK to cut the spine of the fetuses if he could get it done before the baby started crying... except sometimes he wasn't quick enough, but he killed the baby anyway.

In my opinion, the vast majority of people believe that life begins (and therefore abortion ceases to be a moral option) sometime between these two points.

My personal belief is that life begins when the brain cells start to fire; when brain waves start. This is the definition used to determine death (cessation of brain activity), and it also works as a definition to determine life. This occurs roughly at the end of the first trimester. Anything after that is murder and shouldn't be legal.
Thank you! you saved me from having to type all the above. I believe the country as a whole needs to decide when human life begins be it 6 weeks or 6 months and then be done with it.

bill

Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Abortion is legal and should remain legal.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,835 times
As a Christian religious, yes it should be legal. Although it is quite sad.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Abortion is legal and should remain legal.
this ^^

Old 05-12-2013, 02:47 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Abortion is and will remain legal. It is the right of every woman to choose what to do with their body and no one else's.

I don't get why so many people try to force control over women over this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies