Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are DUI Checkpoints, or checkpoints in general Unconstitutional?
Yes 62 52.10%
No 57 47.90%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,174,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I was almost hit by a drunk driver last month. I'm a very, very light drinker and I'm 220lbs.

I still find them Unconstitutional.

Again, do you support checkpoints at sporting events and at the exits of bars and restaurants? The installation of breathalyzer machines in cars?
I honestly don't care if there were. Are these checkpoints such a nuisance for you? Are they hindering your life?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM

20,494 posts, read 12,416,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I've never come across a checkpoint. Because I don't drink & drive anymore, except for when I go up north, lol. Sorry, but if you're drunk & you're driving, I have no sympathy if you have to stop at a checkpoint. Do you guys LIKE having drunks on the road? Maybe you're one of those drunks, I find that seems to be the case sometimes when people are vehemently opposed to stuff like this.
I dont drink at all. Not even a little bitty tiny bit.

I also have no sympathy for someone who gets a DUI.

That doesnt mean I think it is a good thing that the police can set up a road block, stop everyone and ask them questions they have no business asking.

Checkpoints are terrible injustices on the innocent.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,146,829 times
Quote:
I honestly don't care if there were. Are these checkpoints such a nuisance for you? Are they hindering your life?
Yes. Not for alcohol, but for marijuana.

Before that however, I was unlawfully charged because of having marijuana in my car. The case was thrown out but I learned about our legal system and why we have certain protections in place.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Anything that is an injustice to any innocent American ought to be opposed by all Americans...all the time.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I dont drink at all. Not even a little bitty tiny bit.

I also have no sympathy for someone who gets a DUI.

That doesnt mean I think it is a good thing that the police can set up a road block, stop everyone and ask them questions they have no business asking.

Checkpoints are terrible injustices on the innocent.
Agree with you.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Anything that is an injustice to any innocent American ought to be opposed by all Americans...all the time.
Couldn't agree more and I think more and more Americans are seeing that. We have to stop fighting just for OUR issues and start helping each other.

Especially when the system is designed more as a revenue generator than actually keeping people safe.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Huh? How is a checkpoint an injustice? Are they arresting you for NOT being drunk? I don't get it.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,054,697 times
I see no issues with checkpoints. They really are no big deal to go through, and arent' invasive at all in my opinion.

Hell, if you're truly worried about checkpoints, they're dead easy to notice well ahead of time and if you know the roads around the area, you can easily avoid them. Coached a friend through it before. (She was mostly sober, but still would've set off hte breathalizer)

Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Huh? How is a checkpoint an injustice? Are they arresting you for NOT being drunk? I don't get it.
it is an injustice when the police (I used to be one) stop an innocent person without probable cause.

that would seem a simple reality. I also have pretty serious issues with the police stopping people for zero reason and asking them some list of questions "where are you coming from" "where are you going"

I dont need to be the victim of such a stop to know that is just wrong.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
it is an injustice when the police (I used to be one) stop an innocent person without probable cause.

that would seem a simple reality. I also have pretty serious issues with the police stopping people for zero reason and asking them some list of questions "where are you coming from" "where are you going"

I dont need to be the victim of such a stop to know that is just wrong.
But you're not being specifically targeted, correct? The checkpoint is set up. Anyone that is dumb enough to stop at that checkpoint instead of say finding an alternate route is checked on. I don't see that as an injustice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.