Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Food stamps are obviously generous, $300 each recipient a month for a family of 4 is $1200
As usual malamute doesn't know what he's talking about. The max one can get on food stamps is $200 per month but very few get it as the average amount is $104 per month per person. He's off by 300%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Do you know what the T in TANF stands for?

What state do you live in...in which people have lifetime benefits? your numbers are way off...but maybe your state gives way-way more than the national average.
Yes I know -- that free cash handout program is the only temporary welfare program. All the rest have no time limits, TANF is the only temporary one but it shouldn't exist at all. Why are single women being paid to have children they can't afford? Let them get jobs if they want to have kids with men who won't help them.

Pretty weird how liberals throw out TANF which should be eliminated completely as their prime example of a welfare handout program because it's the only one that goes on for just 5 years. Food stamps, Medicaid, free housing, SSI checks, and the many others go on for entire life times.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
As usual malamute doesn't know what he's talking about. The max one can get on food stamps is $200 per month but very few get it as the average amount is $104 per month per person. He's off by 300%.
Why would they need more than that anyhow? The children will be given most of their meals when they are dumped off at the free head start day care centers, and the public schools. And don't forget all that free food they're given with WIC. How ungrateful for welfare recipients to think all their freebies aren't enough.

No reason the boyfriend living in the free housing can't contribute something. Some of the kids may be his.

Welfare recipients should think about getting a job when they're thinking up stuff in the shower.

Illegal immigration is way up since January -- you never hear of the illegals having any trouble finding jobs here --- not only that -- they have $400 to $800 a month after living expenses to send out of this country in the form of remittances.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Funny to read this. I get a lot of insights in the shower too. Must be all that fine water on the brain.

I think the most obvious thing we could do is to invest dramatically in infrastructure work. That would create working class jobs, build skills, and do something that needs to be done for the next generation. The government needs to create real, decent, meaningful jobs. It is pretty obvious that the bail outs, tax cuts, etc. have not inspired the private sector to hire. If the government could do this for ten years (Why the hell not? we have been wasting money like drunk sailors in the Middle East for longer than that for what?), we would emerge from this, and the guys and gals would be journeymen in their professions. Yes, it would cost, but it would strengthen the country and the people.
....yeah, that would be great, EXCEPT that the Davis Bacon Act pretty much assures that government project spending goes to a narrow slice of American workers, mostly middle class union members, and the vast majority of the poor are thereby excluded. If somebody proposed an infrastructure program without the union feather-bedding, it could probably be passed on a bipartisan basis--and it would do more to help the poor.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
A little personal, but while in the shower I was thinking to myself 'what exactly could be done to help the lower-income side of society that excludes welfare' and flat out, I couldn't think of any. Welfare barley helps and is pretty much becoming more and more of a comfort zone for many Americans simply because some of us are lacking the motivation to go back to work or school and try harder, so I want to hear your voices on the matter. Rather its more govt intervention in your lives or less, explain a policy, program, or etc that could help you a bit more and list examples please.

Thank you, BMORE.

SN: this isn't supposed to be an attack on Liberals or Conservatives, the Rich or the Poor but simply what the poor believe what can be done to actually help them become at least middle-class; therefore with the warning, troll posters will be reported.
Never heard of the grain "welfare barley."

However, there are a number of unfounded assertions in your post that discredit this thread, namely:

"welfare is a comfort zone:" While this is a popular fallacy with the right wing, welfare is temporary and the number of people that take advantage of it moves with economic opportunity.

"Some Americans lack motivation:" There is no evidence that this is true. It's an assertion that largely isn't true.

" Rather its more govt intervention in your lives or less, explain a policy, program, or etc that could help you a bit more and list examples please.:" The statement is so convoluted that it is difficult to determine what you are describing -- while at the same time asking others to do you research.

I suggest taking another shower and think instead about the cute teller you saw in the bank the other day.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
A little personal, but while in the shower I was thinking to myself 'what exactly could be done to help the lower-income side of society that excludes welfare' and flat out, I couldn't think of any. Welfare barley helps and is pretty much becoming more and more of a comfort zone for many Americans simply because some of us are lacking the motivation to go back to work or school and try harder, so I want to hear your voices on the matter. Rather its more govt intervention in your lives or less, explain a policy, program, or etc that could help you a bit more and list examples please.

Thank you, BMORE.

SN: this isn't supposed to be an attack on Liberals or Conservatives, the Rich or the Poor but simply what the poor believe what can be done to actually help them become at least middle-class; therefore with the warning, troll posters will be reported.
I know plenty of people--myself included--who work plenty hard and still cannot make ends meet. It is pretty silly to decry welfare while so many employers pay sub-poverty wages.

What are some of the things government could do for people besides welfare? Other countries offer plenty of examples:

--Universal health care coverage
--Enforcement of fair labor laws, including the right to form unions
--Paid parental leave
--Free or subsidized day day for families with young children
--Free or low cost tuition at public colleges and universities (this used to be common in the US, but is vanishing)

I could go on, but these would be good places to start. You really couldn't think of anything?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:

Thank you, BMORE.

Education. Offer up more grants. Make it more public what those grants are.

Stop it with the, "we only help those with kids" mentality. All that does is make people have more kids that they cannot afford. Single people need help, too.

Put a cap on welfare. Instead of continually throwing money at them, make it a requirement that they take classes to learn a skill or trade. They have x amount of years to complete their studies and be off the government dole. No welfare lifers! Now they have a skill. No one can take that from them. And by making them go out and earn their living, it makes them a better person. They become more involved in things that matter. They are not just existing, they will finally be living.

And finally, one that will not be popular but it's how I feel: They may have one child while on welfare. They may not have more. If they are on welfare, they know damn good and well that they cannot afford another child. If they insist on "giving in to the moment", then those children should be taken away and they should lose all of their welfare benefits.

As far as I'm concerned, having all of these kids while on welfare is neglect. That child will have a harder time in life as they try to struggle out of the welfare way of life and in to something productive. It CAN happen but it is very difficult for those kids to get out of it when they become adults. If we are going to "think of the chiiiiilllllldren", then let's actually THINK of the children! Give them a fair shake in life.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
LOL; I always practice speaking while in the shower. I graduated not too long ago for political science and my summer is chock full of political dinners, events, meetings, and even speaking therefore I find it soothing to practice and propose things while in the shower as opposed to just sitting down and thinking about it.
Instead of free everything, at least liberals could think back to FDR work programs, some of which actually contributed something so society.

No more free handouts of any kind. All welfare recipients with two arms and two legs and IQs over 65 should be required to report to work -- have shovels ready for them, they can plant trees, or they can pick up litter, remove graffiti. There is much work that should be done.

Just like with FDR's programs, we would expect inefficiency but at least it gets the welfare types out at least showing up pretending they're going to work.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I'd hope when thinking in the shower most would think about what they can do to help themselves and increase the GDP; otherwise we are dead in the water. JFK must be rolling over in his grave reading the Ops post

Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
well,
they dont seem to be interested in learning a skill so they can find a job, after all, you get free cheese and an obama phone simply by voting democrat....
by they, don't you mean you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies