Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes I know -- that free cash handout program is the only temporary welfare program. All the rest have no time limits, TANF is the only temporary one but it shouldn't exist at all. Why are single women being paid to have children they can't afford? Let them get jobs if they want to have kids with men who won't help them.

Pretty weird how liberals throw out TANF which should be eliminated completely as their prime example of a welfare handout program because it's the only one that goes on for just 5 years. Food stamps, Medicaid, free housing, SSI checks, and the many others go on for entire life times.

??? Able-bodies unemployed adults can get food stamps only 3 months every 36 months. "Free" housing is very difficult to get, and is "free" for very few people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Able-bodies unemployed adults can get food stamps only 3 months every 36 months. "Free" housing is very difficult to get, and is "free" for very few people.
Not where I live. There are people who have received food stamps straight for decades.

Show me where food stamps are limited, they're not limited where I live. Free housing is also very easy to get -- just have a baby you could never afford. You don't even have to be here legally.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Start a program for forgiving student loan debt would be a good way to free students of the burden that the loans weigh on them. Or even one better do what most 1st world countries do and make college free for those who want to attend instead of forcing them to be wage slaves.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
A little personal, but while in the shower I was thinking to myself 'what exactly could be done to help the lower-income side of society that excludes welfare' and flat out, I couldn't think of any. Welfare barley helps and is pretty much becoming more and more of a comfort zone for many Americans simply because some of us are lacking the motivation to go back to work or school and try harder, so I want to hear your voices on the matter. Rather its more govt intervention in your lives or less, explain a policy, program, or etc that could help you a bit more and list examples please.

Thank you, BMORE.

SN: this isn't supposed to be an attack on Liberals or Conservatives, the Rich or the Poor but simply what the poor believe what can be done to actually help them become at least middle-class; therefore with the warning, troll posters will be reported.
Since I'm now 'low income' I'll give you my answer. in 2008 I lost my job and my profession. I'm college educated and up to date on computer skills, however, I was already 58. It took me 4 years to just get a PRN job, I even went back to school and got a Phlebotomist Certificate (I did my research and it's an in demand job in my area) and still no job. For me it's age discrimination, I've even been told this by several supervisors, corporations don't want to hire older workers who are in the "donut hole" with insurance. At my age everything is pre-existing and I can't get affordable coverage. Last month I finally gave up and applied for SS in order to survive, I would have rather waited until 66 but I couldn't. Now I'm more "marketable" because I'm only applying for part time work. I only wish I could get Medicare but I have to wait. I have been without health insurance since '08 and it's frustrating, I want to work but no one's hiring the older worker unless they have a rare specific skill set. Right now I continue as a PRN patient sitter and hope to get a partime perm position as a unit secretary as that travels well.

So for me it would be the availability of Medicare or some form of affordable HC for those of us who need it.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Start a program for forgiving student loan debt would be a good way to free students of the burden that the loans weigh on them. Or even one better do what most 1st world countries do and make college free for those who want to attend instead of forcing them to be wage slaves.
Maybe if we can convince all those liberal professors they aren't really worth $100,000 a year or more with hefty pensions.

Take a look at what's making college so unaffordable. We need to end tenure, lower salaries and ditch the many worthless degree programs.

Most of those unable to get good paying jobs majoried in something useless.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I generally sing in the shower, not think about what my neighbor has to give me.
As someone who is pursing a career in the political realm, I think it's only right for me to think of the general well-being of our people. I'm not a welfare recipient, and it's public knowledge on this site at least that I'm for more restricted use of welfare. I care for my neighbor, not exactly giving them free cash but at least the understanding on how to become middle class as opposed to staying poor.

No matter how much you or others may be against govt, the sad reality for you guys is that the govt can produce some good that the private sector simply cannot do. For one, I believe that the govt and business should have far more interactions between the two, so rather that's the govt issuing contracts to private business to help those who most need it, to building new infrastructure in the US, private-public relationships should blossom here.

I'm also for the reparations of Social Security to the states, and making a amendment that states must have social-security or pensions for their citizens and the way they go about funding it, is on them. I'm not for welfare for people who don't want to do anything in life, I'm for welfare for working families who have fallen on hard-times though. I want our 9-12 schools nationwide to teach finances to our students and stress to them the importance of investing. So yes, I do care for my neighbor and I just want to know what can be done to get them into the middle class. Some people are simply lacking the motivation, while others never really have a opportunity to advance in our society and I care for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I used to get some of my best thoughts and theories whilst brushing my teeth. Never once did my teeth brushing cause me to wonder what the government could do for me.

That seems to be the big difference between *******s and conservatives.
I'm not a '*******' nor conservative, I lean independent in my views. I wasn't thinking 'what could the govt do for me' simply because I don't depend much on govt especially in the welfare category, I just wanted to ask the poor what could be done to motivate them to do better. Does that make me a '*******'?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Uh Oh.
How about banning lobbyists and special interests groups from DC?
This is a good start and stop pork barrel spending.....

Old 06-02-2013, 11:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I used to get some of my best thoughts and theories whilst brushing my teeth. Never once did my teeth brushing cause me to wonder what the government could do for me.

That seems to be the big difference between *******s and conservatives.
Usually the only time the government comes to mind is while turning on the TV......amazing how many people call the cops for needless reasons and need the government to get through life.

We won't ask what some are thinking while getting dressed.....

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Start a program for forgiving student loan debt would be a good way to free students of the burden that the loans weigh on them.
Someone signed the note... they owe the money! Is there a magical mystery money fairy somewhere that just erases debt when someone defaults? The money has to be paid back one way or another.. it's just comes down to who you want to pay it back.. the borrower or the taxpayers?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think the most obvious thing we could do is to invest dramatically in infrastructure work. That would create working class jobs, build skills, and do something that needs to be done for the next generation. The government needs to create real, decent, meaningful jobs. It is pretty obvious that the bail outs, tax cuts, etc. have not inspired the private sector to hire. If the government could do this for ten years (Why the hell not? we have been wasting money like drunk sailors in the Middle East for longer than that for what?), we would emerge from this, and the guys and gals would be journeymen in their professions. Yes, it would cost, but it would strengthen the country and the people.
You cannot build a thriving economy on government spending. It is not PRODUCTIVE activity that generates wealth (like manufacturing), it is simply a system of transfer payments that requires massive overhead costs. In fact, very little of our economy is productive activity, because all the "big money" is in game-playing and sleights-of-hand like financial derivatives. As long as we think we can have economic health via either government spending, or large-scale scams like Big Finance and Big Insurance, we are doomed.

Government jobs cost Americans far more than they get in services. They are NOT real, decent, or meaningful--in fact, the vast majority do not need to be done at all. Government jobs are ridiculously overpaid, their administration is absolutely full of graft and corruption, and the taxpayer will end up paying $100 for every $1 in improvements. It's the worst possible waste of money.

The infrastructure improvements you apparently think will "save" America are a tiny, tiny fraction of government spending. We already have MASSIVE gas taxes, tolls, and other dedicated funding to pay for them. And what workers would really benefit from diverting more money to infrastructure? Mob-owned construction companies? A few road construction workers and flagmen?

The economy has been crippled for a long time BECAUSE our government is so overgrown, and today only Big Business can survive under the ridiculous regulatory and tax burdens. Instead of having a thriving economy with small and medium sized businesses where people CHOOSE where to spend their own money, we instead lose 40% of the GNP to heavy-handed government spending money in ways that do not help the economy ONE IOTA. Defense spending, the Drug War, Homeland Security...you'd be hard-pressed to find ANYTHING that government does that isn't a complete waste of money.

If you want economic prosperity, slash government to the bone and allow WAGE EARNERS to spend their money locally, rather than have some scumbag politician in Washington fatten the pockets of Big Business while doling out a pittance in "safety net" programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies