Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM

159 posts, read 491,420 times

Advertisements

On Twitter I saw some people make comments about the National Spelling Bee and how many of its contestants are of Indian descent (Asian Indian, not Native American). Here are some examples: "Of course it comes down to 3 Indian kids in the spelling bee...not even fair to us Americans ahaha" / "Are there any Americans in the spelling bee?" / "are we sure this is not the Indian national spelling bee? americans need to step up" / "so there are no americans in the spelling bee" / "there are just Indians there, not American people like me, they want to invade our country"

I was honestly astounded by this ignorance. As far as I know, almost ALL of these "Indian" contestants are American citizens who were born and raised in this country and just happen to have Indian heritage. I honestly couldn't believe people said that. They are as American as any other person born in this country.
Just because they have foreign names that are not western, and happen to look "different" than most American people, a lot of people just assumed they are definitely not American despite the fact almost all of them are Americans like me and you and just have a certain type of ethnicity.

I know some Indian American people and I think would feel kind of offended if people said they are not Americans just because of the way they look or they have a "different" kind of name.

What do you think of this? I find this ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
You know what I find ridiculous? That we let every mutt in the world in here and call them a citizen in the interest of keeping wages down. We are losing our country every day. Do you find that ridiculous?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM

472 posts, read 570,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You know what I find ridiculous? That we let every mutt in the world in here and call them a citizen in the interest of keeping wages down. We are losing our country every day. Do you find that ridiculous?
Stupid comment, especially since most Indians who come here are highly educated.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM

159 posts, read 491,420 times
Quote:
People who are coming in here who are very uneducated and don't speak English, no I would not want here in the US. However there are plenty of high-skilled immigrants who legally immigrate to this country. My mom is an immigrant and she's fairly well educated and got her citizenship with no problems.

However this thread was about people of Indian descent being called non-American, not so much about Indian immigrants.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:

I was honestly astounded by this ignorance.
Seriously? I'm not. Look at the "losing our country to mutts" comment above.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM

596 posts, read 730,409 times
Quote:
I find it ridiculous that you refer to other human beings as mutts. We are not losing our country. However, it is definitely changing. Some people simply refuse to accept change.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM

472 posts, read 570,828 times
I don't see how they would be any less American than anyone else who was born here and calls this home. We know what the reasons are--physical appearance and names, perhaps an accent if they weren't born here. But almost everyone in the USA is descended from immigrants. It's to our disadvantage if we don't count them as valuable citizens just as any.

And on a side note--yay for Bobby Jindal, even tho he's republican.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
No. The Indians that come here are highly educated (something that's not common here) and seek high paying jobs. The Indian Americans that participated in the spelling bee are just like you and I. They won't settle for low wages.

At least they're better than those who refer to people as mutts. I wish it were easier to kick some losers out.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No. The Indians that come here are highly educated (something that's not common here) and seek high paying jobs. The Indian Americans that participated in the spelling bee are just like you and I. They won't settle for low wages.

At least they're better than those who refer to people as mutts. I wish it were easier to kick some losers out.
Those kids in the spelling bee are nothing like him, don't insult them.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Those kids in the spelling bee are nothing like him, don't insult them.
Noted. I stand corrected. I'll leave the mistake for continuity purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies