Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,446,114 times

Advertisements

Well it appears obama AND both the house and senate has passed a newer version of the "stolen valor act" where the last time it went through the Supreme Court claimed it was unconstitutional but now with a little bit of rework it has finally passed. It is nice to see what happens when congress works together, hopefully this is something they continue on doing.

And for those who are unsure of what this bill is about it basically makes it a crime to fake being a veteran/wearing fake or stolen medals in an attempt to make money from them. I'm not sure of the rest of the bill but this is the gist of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,079,096 times
We have some of these fake veterans who post on this site.....

Old 06-05-2013, 04:08 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,446,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
We have some of these fake veterans who post on this site.....

Yep and one former poster as well

Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,217,341 times
Let's make it illegal to lie about being a wealthy business owner, the jails will be filled up to capacity.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM

664 posts, read 1,037,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Yep and one former poster as well
Only a fake VET would call anyone else "fake" without seeing a DD214. Until you have seen it, he's always legit.

It's always the blowhards who blow the hardest.

Platoon 2070

Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 PM

But I'll give you all a clue.

When ONE is down and being knocked around by a crowd......see who ALL comes running to help him/her.

No one?

It doesn't look good......

Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,174,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI2070 View Post
Only a fake VET would call anyone else "fake" without seeing a DD214. Until you have seen it, he's always legit.

It's always the blowhards who blow the hardest.

Platoon 2070
My DD214 has a copy filed with the City Clerk in the City of Norfolk, so if I ever need a copy, I can go get a notarized copy at any time.

MM2(SS)
USS Barbel (SS-580)
USS New York City (SSN-696)
Commissioning Crew, USS Pittsburgh (SSN-720)

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM

45,254 posts, read 26,506,671 times
Sounds like we have another law and a new favored class of victims.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
My DD214 has a copy filed with the City Clerk in the City of Norfolk, so if I ever need a copy, I can go get a notarized copy at any time.

MM2(SS)
USS Barbel (SS-580)
USS New York City (SSN-696)
Commissioning Crew, USS Pittsburgh (SSN-720)
You are/were one of the ones that always come running.

It never crossed my mind that you were anything but.

Find the guy who leaves a man down in dire need of help.

He's not a VET and sure as hell not a MARINE.

Remember your Oaths ladies and gents.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,772,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Well it appears obama AND both the house and senate has passed a newer version of the "stolen valor act" where the last time it went through the Supreme Court claimed it was unconstitutional but now with a little bit of rework it has finally passed. It is nice to see what happens when congress works together, hopefully this is something they continue on doing.

And for those who are unsure of what this bill is about it basically makes it a crime to fake being a veteran/wearing fake or stolen medals in an attempt to make money from them. I'm not sure of the rest of the bill but this is the gist of it.
The president didn't pass anything. But this still restricts speech and I don't think it's nice to see the government do that.

The mysterious thing to me is (without reading all of Alvarez) I don't think last year's case would have changed because of this because in that decision fraud was pointed out as being an exception to free speech. So, did Congress pass a law in reaction to a SCOTUS decision that wouldn't have changed the decision?

Who's commercially profiting on this trade that isn't committing fraud? In other words, who would be guilty today that wouldn't have been guilty before?

Now if the entire law was struck down then I understand. I just don't have time to research it that far. I just don't think Alvarez would have been guilty under the new law.

If it means there isn't that much teeth added, and it means that Congress is deliberately trying to limit speech (which is easier in this law because of the commercial aspect) AND they wouldn't otherwise be guilty of fraud, then it's pandering in the worst possible fashion.

Sure, we might want to lock people up for speech that we don't agree with, but it's a bad idea in my opinion. Not to mention expensive to do. And why haven't they made it illegal to burn the U.S. flag in commercial fraud? Why not do that with everything we don't like to hear/see?

And people can still pretend to be returning from the Gulf and wear uniforms as long as they don't wear a very narrow set of medals. That is not made illegal. Put on 4 stars if you want as long as you're just going to 7-11 and not claiming to have a Purple Heart for money. But if you did claim it for fraud wouldn't that still be a crime?

I'm sticking with pandering which is a shame considering it's goal to restrict the 1st. It's narrow enough (and short enough) that it will be quite some time before someone gets nailed with it and their court appointed lawyer will bill the taxpayers hundreds of thousands before SCOTUS overturns it again (or not). Best case?

H.R.258 - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - To amend title 18, United States Code, with respect to fraudulent representations about having received military declarations or medals. - Bill Text | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies