Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:25 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

"The allegations concern the Environmental Protection Agency, which is being accused of trying to charge conservative groups fees while largely exempting liberal groups. The fees applied to Freedom of Information Act requests -- allegedly, the EPA waived them for liberal groups far more often than it did for conservative ones...Research by the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), a conservative Washington, D.C., think tank, claims that the political bias is routine when it comes to deciding which groups are charged fees. Christopher Horner, senior fellow at CEI, said liberal groups have their fees for documents waived about 90 percent of the time, in contrast with conservative groups that it claims are denied fee waivers about 90 percent of the time."

EPA accused of singling out conservative groups, amid IRS scandal | Fox News

I'm thinking we ought to have somebody look into all the government agencies. Why is anyone's fee waived? The government is broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Not to mention releasing private confidential information to environmental activists and falsifying evidence to deny permits.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The allegations concern the Environmental Protection Agency, which is being accused of trying to charge conservative groups fees while largely exempting liberal groups. The fees applied to Freedom of Information Act requests -- allegedly, the EPA waived them for liberal groups far more often than it did for conservative ones...Research by the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), a conservative Washington, D.C., think tank, claims that the political bias is routine when it comes to deciding which groups are charged fees. Christopher Horner, senior fellow at CEI, said liberal groups have their fees for documents waived about 90 percent of the time, in contrast with conservative groups that it claims are denied fee waivers about 90 percent of the time."

EPA accused of singling out conservative groups, amid IRS scandal | Fox News

I'm thinking we ought to have somebody look into all the government agencies. Why is anyone's fee waived? The government is broke.
Pffft. The vast majority of so-called conservative think tanks, including the CEI, are just propaganda organizations. They are lavishly funded by corporations and private foundations to manufacture "information" favorable to their sponsors. They are bought-and-paid-for private lobbies; they can in no way be compared to actual public interest groups. Most so-called "liberal" groups, because they don't have corporate sugar daddies, have a tough time getting funding. I am not surprised the EPA treat them differently.

In any case, this is simply solved. Insist all organization pay fees in every case.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Pffft. The vast majority of so-called conservative think tanks, including the CEI, are just propaganda organizations. They are lavishly funded by corporations and private foundations to manufacture "information" favorable to their sponsors. They are bought-and-paid-for private lobbies; they can in no way be compared to actual public interest groups. Most so-called "liberal" groups, because they don't have corporate sugar daddies, have a tough time getting funding. I am not surprised the EPA treat them differently.

In any case, this is simply solved. Insist all organization pay fees in every case.
fair enough and I agree. What about falsifying evidence to deny permits? What about the release of confidential info to activists?

Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
fair enough and I agree. What about falsifying evidence to deny permits? What about the release of confidential info to activists?
I didn't see anything about that in this article.

What I think is hilarious is the claim that charging or not charging fees can "make or break" a conservative group. Excuse me? As I said before, most conservative groups are pretty well-funded. Honestly, this reeks of another phony conservatives-as-victims story.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

What I think is hilarious is the claim that charging or not charging fees can "make or break" a conservative group. Excuse me? As I said before, most conservative groups are pretty well-funded. Honestly, this reeks of another phony conservatives-as-victims story.
The falsifying evidence did happen and it has cost private businesses big bucks. Money they should not have lost.
The EPA did release confidential information to activists that included names addresses and phone numbers of citizens who sold gas/oil rights on their property to gas companies. In short ranking people in the EPA used the EPA to further personal political or ideological agendas.
The IRS isn't the first under Obama to do so.
My point is that no FED agency should b targeting anyone based ideology. It shouldn't matter if the affected person can afford it or not.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The falsifying evidence did happen and it has cost private businesses big bucks. Money they should not have lost.
The EPA did release confidential information to activists that included names addresses and phone numbers of citizens who sold gas/oil rights on their property to gas companies. In short ranking people in the EPA used the EPA to further personal political or ideological agendas.
The IRS isn't the first under Obama to do so.
My point is that no FED agency should b targeting anyone based ideology. It shouldn't matter if the affected person can afford it or not.
All I said was that I didn't see that mentioned in that particular article. I cannot comment on it until I see what it is you are referring to.

BTW, in most states, sales of oil/gas rights are a matter of public record. Anyone can look them up. There would be no need to "leak" them to activists.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:32 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:

Right... like the IRS?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Right in line when the feds and cuomo threatened to release the names of the AIG bonus recipients.....after the treasury dept ensured their bonuses at the midnight hour in Dodd's bill...something Dodd claimed he knew nothing about.

Obama and his henchmen are thugs and the pattern of their crimes is clear. Obama bypasses the legislature whom he cried shouldn't be bypassed when the SCOTUS was deciding Obamacare.

Thugs, liars and bullies are in control of the three lettered fedral agencies turned enemy of the people

Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 PM

264 posts, read 280,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Right... like the IRS?
Exactly.

The republicans are a defeated party and these "scandals" are a desperate attempt for sympathy. There is a reason they have lost 5 out of the last 6 popular votes in the presidential election. People honestly are sick of the sorry excuses.

Conservatives - stop crying and try to get with the times. Concentrate on this good job market, high stock market and dropping unemployment rates. You are really sounding desperate, which doesn't help your cause.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies